Best ride they got rid of?

bjlc57

for the life of me.. why did they "have to " get rid of Snow Whites scary Adventure? it wasn't in the way of the new ride or area.. yes you can have TWO RIDES for your all time movie great..

FettFan

for the life of me.. why did they "have to " get rid of Snow Whites scary Adventure? it wasn't in the way of the new ride or area.. yes you can have TWO RIDES for your all time movie great..

Because the current location of 7DMT was originally slated for meet and greets. Basically more Enchanted Tales With Belle....only you'd be meeting Cinderella at her villa, Aurora at the fairies' cottage, etc.

blueprint.jpg

TDO was so adamant about meet and greets that once the mine train was green-lit, they decided to convert one of the older attractions into the new M&G space. And because Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs would already be featured by 7DMT, Snow White's Scary Adventure was the one on the chopping block.

They also scrapped Pixie Hollow for Storybook Circus because Mickey's Toontown Fair already had a number of popular gift shops in the shape of circus tents.

FettFan

My official vote is for Horizons.

It incorporated all of the Futureworld pavilions (save for WoL, which didn't exist yet) together into one mega attraction.
World of Motion = new vehicles meant to travel into the ocean and into space.
Imagination = Jules Verne and visions of the future.
The Land = terraforming the Mesa Verde into arable farmland with hydroponic gardens.
The Living Seas = Underwater cities and living spaces.
Spaceship Earth/Communicore = future communications and 3D projections.

To borrow from 'The Big Lebowski'...
That ride really tied the park together, did it not?

And then TDO peed on it.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Clamman73

Those are the two I remember.
The Odyssey also still played it's original loop when I was inside for a special event in 2007.
So 70s....so disco.....so groovy.

I will always remember being freaked out when taking a break near the walkway in front The Land and hearing that late 70s exterior loop music pumping out of the speakers hidden in the shrubbery...in the mid 2000s.
It was a total surprise...never expected to still hear that being used.

Ditto regarding the Imagination Pavilion 'hidden' restrooms loop.
Absolutely geeked out as I know that music well.
I wanted to stay in there and listen to the whole loop, but people were kind of looking at me funny....you know, hanging out in a public restroom alone and all....
;)

-
I stay in there making believe I'm drying my hands so I can have a little bit of my early teenage Imagination years back.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Eh. I was never crazy about Food Rocks.
Kitchen Kabaret was timeless and classic because it was its own thing with its own music...but when they put pop music in there, it automatically dated it (see also: Tiki Room Under New Management)

The dating was especially worse with Tone Loc hosting it. He was everywhere in the early 90s.

Food Rocks definitely had a limited shelf life.

Granted, hardly anyone was crazy about Food Rocks. It was more of a personal attachment with me and my dad... Cuz my dad loooooooves every song that was in the show. Like that was his era of music. So my dad and I would see this show 2 or 3 times repeatedly on a trip to Epcot. It was our favorite thing....

...He was not impressed with Soarin' at all. Neither was I. But it was probably because it replaced a very sentimental memory for us :p

PorterRedkey

1 Horizons. Like gutting the Haunted Mansion. :'(

2 If You Had Wings. Proudly showing both my age and my memories of empty ticket booklets here (IYHW was a free, sponsored ride). :)
If You Had Wings is a favorite of mine. The fact that it didn't take a ticket meant we rode it at least 3 times a visit. So it I have many good memories of that ride. The jet engine and the speed tunnel stand out for me.

mechagrover

... and then if I had wings.. or was it flight to Mars.. this was a space flight in Fantasy land.. sponsored by Delta Air lines.. back in the day...
If You Had Wings was sponsored by Eastern Airlines, and when Delta took over it was changed to Dreamflight. It was located where Buzz is now.

GVentola

I've been going to WDW for 40 years plus now, so there's a lot that I miss. Especially the attractions I grew up with. "If You Had Wings" was my fave ride as a kid. And even though I'm a big time Iago fan, I resented The Tiki Room Under New Management trampling over the original Tiki Room. But we got that back! They got rid of Under New Management and put back the original Tiki Room! That should give you all hope that even though it's highly unlikely that an old attraction will come back, it's not 100% impossible!

As a passholder who goes to WDW several times a year, I appreciate new attractions to give me something new to do. But I wish the new didn't have to replace the old and instead they could co-exist. I get a time travel, nostalgic feeling at Tomorrowland when I hear the area music play the theme to "If You Had Wings". So at least you could say Disney hasn't forgotten. And neither has YouTube. I found footage of "If You Had Wings" on there. I had forgotten how some of the ride goes.

I've also been going to Universal as a passholder since it opened, and I really, really miss The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera. I also found a film of that on YouTube. Yea, YouTube, for keeping our memories alive!

raven

Horizons by far.

This was econic Epcot Center at its greatest. Rarely a wait and when you were on the ride it felt like you were alone and had the entire attraction to yourself (due to the design of the vehicles). And you always came off the ride with a smile on your face!

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes

Disney.Mike

I think i'm in the minority here... but i really miss Body Wars (even though it ruined sims for me... motionsickness) and Timekeeper... i think thats the name... it had 9 eye

danyoung56

When I saw the title of this thread, my mind immediately jumped to 2 attractions. I'm not at all surprised to see all of the mentions for Horizons. But I am surprised that Cranium Command was only mentioned once. These 2 attractions were right at the top of the list for "don't miss" attractions every visit.

About a year after they closed CC, I snuck into a closed Wonders of Life pavilion and wandered about in there. I was very surprised to see everything in the CC theater still there. The monitors were even turned on and sitting on a black still, looking like the show could be started again at the push of a button. Very very sad.

BrerJon

Horizons by far.

This was econic Epcot Center at its greatest. Rarely a wait and when you were on the ride it felt like you were alone and had the entire attraction to yourself (due to the design of the vehicles). And you always came off the ride with a smile on your face!

I'd go as far as to say if you were a time traveller looking to go back and change history to make sure Walt Disney World never declined, the day they decided to shut Horizons was pretty much the nexus point for when things started to go downhill, and a good date to go back to to bang some heads together!

Simba's Mom

At least someone else mentioned Timekeeper, but only one person? Robin Williams and Rhea Perlman and the "lean rails"-what a hoot!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom