Behavioral U-Turn Needed.. Quickly

Have Manners Disappeared?

• Yes; Manners have disappeared.

Votes: 114 42.2%
  • No; Manners are still in full force.

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Somewhat; Manners aren’t quite what they were.

Votes: 145 53.7%

• Total voters

daisyduckie

That should be a universal teaching to both male and female. Help out those in need regardless of gender, etc.

This. I have to admit, it does make a bit crazy when some posters go on and on about offering women a seat on a bus. If you wish to be nice, offer your seat to whoever may need it, man or woman. Unfortunately as age does it's number on me, there are days where I can't stand on a bus, and will wait for one with open seating if need be. However on good days I will offer my seat to anyone, male or female, who looks like they could use it. My gender doesn't make me more deserving of a seat.

erasure fan1

I don't want the cast members to also be the manner police.
Basic manners are one thing, but I'm talking more about the rule breakers. A cast member should intervene when people cut the line or are smoking while walking from ride to ride, playing in fountains... I'm not going to say it happens all the time, but at least a couple times a trip I see 2 guests going at it and then security has to jump in. Sorry but you pay a lot for Disney, I don't need that headache.

LUVofDIS

The best Doctors that I have ever had were female. I always request someone that isn't all wrapped up in themselves and really cares about my medical needs. I know men have a problem with that, but, apparently I am not nearly as insecure as the rest of them.

Me personally, I only have women physicians. For a couple reasons, I personally don't like men touching me, I don't know why but I never have. Also, so far in my experience with the male doctors I have had, they seemed to be quick to offer a medication solution before trying a different direction. Where none of the women doctors I have had tried to cure everything with drugs. Also, as bad as this may sound, women seem more caring. It's funny how the first response I get from friends is, "you don't mind a woman seeing you naked". I will never figure out why people are so hung up on that. I am a male by the way.

I open doors for everyone, sometimes my wife gets upset with me but that is how I am. Also I will offer my seat to pregnant women, elderly that have a issue of any kind or anyone one that has an issue of some sort. I don't tend to offer a seat to children or young adults though. Also I see many people doing the same thing at Disney World, I rarely see the types I have described standing during a bus ride.

Of course there is always the exception, one that comes to mind is the pregnant women holding a child, her husband was holding their sleeping daughter and there was a family with three young kids. All were probably under 7. Each had their own seat, even one that looked to be three or so. I asked if one of the kids could sit on her lap so that this pregnant women could sit. Man did I get a dirty look from that woman and she said something to her daughter to the effect of "(daughters name) come sit on my lap so the princess can sit down". That blew my mind, and the lady who ended sitting just gave me a look that she couldn't believe what was said. She did thank me though and that made me feel good about it.

SSH

What has changed is people not really realizing when they are acting like an idiot.
More than that - it's also the concept of shame and embarrassment when you did something wrong or rude. Other people would look shocked or disapproving - and wouldn't hesitate to call the person out on their bad behavior. But nowadays, no one seems to feel embarrassed or ashamed anymore - anything goes.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Hey, I’m gay, so I guess I don’t have to worry about my inner biological caveman telling me I need to offer a young, able-bodied woman a seat in order to “protect” her.
Rather have everyone’s inner biological caveman doing that instead of sexually harassing or assaulting women.

If i had a boy instead of two girls, I would definitely teach him to protect and defend women. Listen to that instinct from within to do so rather than trying turn it off. But hey, I’m old school I guess.

My inner biological instinct is to do their hair and wardrobe.

We all “protect” in our own way.

(j/k, I’m awful at hair and wardrobe lol.)

geekza

I agree. Somebody has to be the gatekeepers. It's not all up to the cast members, however. If we are going to be a true society, then it is up to each of us to help mold that society and establish its behavioral norms. That doesn't mean calling people out 24/7, but it does mean making sure that we are acting as the example of how we want others to behave and, if someone is egregiously breaking the "social code of behavior," that we make them aware of our displeasure. Subtle cues still have an effect. If rules are established and clearly stated, then Cast Members should absolutely be given the authority to enforce them. There's nothing wrong with a reminder followed by consequences if the behavior doesn't cease. Rules are necessary for the stable operation of a society. Disney doesn't need to worry about losing the business of people who misbehave, because they'll gain more business from people who appreciate that the company is looking to create the best experience possible for its guests who don't have a problem with behavior.

KikoKea

I think the "I'm on vacation/paid a small fortune to be here and can do whatever I want" mentality takes over too many people once they get a whiff of that special Disney air. Many parents don't want to deal with their children, or maybe they think it is a time for all of the family to let loose. Unfortunately, some people have the attitude that others do not matter, and common courtesy is not needed.

But, I cannot help but think it has to do with regional customs and respect for others. I must say I see little of the rude behavior on the Shades of Green buses (SoG is a military recreation hotel on site) that we've noticed when staying at a WDW resort, using their buses. At SoG, people chat, smile, and are polite, and seats are given up, and it is a different vibe altogether. Where I live in SC, 9 out of 10 people will hold the door for you (without regard to race, sex, etc) and 'thank-you' and 'you're welcome' are nearly always exchanged, nearly always with a smile and often with a comment to have a good day or other nicety.

crxbrett

I always open doors for people or hold the door open for those behind me, to the point where it has annoyed my GF. But I think it is pretty telling that more often than not, I either get a totally shocked face or smile with total surprise; or just no response at all nor even a simple "thank you" or smile or gesture of thanks.

To me, that says 2 things with today and society - 1) People are so used to rude behavior now that when someone is polite or holds a door open they are shocked. And 2) a lot of people out there in today's world are rude and entitled and have no sense of manners and can't even say a simple "thank you".

Think about how many people don't use blinkers on the roads and highways or let the car trying to merge on the freeway into their lane - that's more evidence of manners (or lack thereof) in today's world.

erasure fan1

2) a lot of people out there in today's world are rude and entitled and have no sense of manners and can't even say a simple "thank you".
I vote this. People are all about themselves, the entitlement is off the charts. The sad fact is that most of the people don't even realize they are this way because they think they're normal. And if you say something to them, they are genuinely offended because they couldn't have done anything wrong.

jaklgreen

Not trying to play devils advocate but.... There are a lot of various cultures that come to WDW. Not saying that what you experienced was ok. Just that playing in a public fountain is quite common in many parts of the world.

We were there for 3 weeks this past July. I honestly did not notice as much rude behaviour as in past years. We had a great time. Previous vacations I would agree with the OP sentiment.

Kids AND parents go wild.... Has been the theme.

I am pretty sure it is rude in all cultures to let your kids keep bumping into people, or play in the flowers, or not to disrupt other's enjoyment. Too many times the parents see and allow their children to keep running into others. On our last trip I had to tell the parents to get their kid to stop ramming my daughters and myself or I would stop him. They saw him do it over and over and saw that we were annoyed and trying to avoid him and did NOTHING.

jaklgreen

Goodness, there is some school of parenting thought out there now that intentionally refrains from using the word NO or likewise to stop behavior....its idea is based on not stifling creativity and letting the child explore their world and express themselves....without boundaries where do you draw the line for societal behavior norms? Yes I have noticed as steady decline in public behavior, and its not all that they don't care, it is in part what some young parents believe is best for their children....maybe they were overly restricted and monitored by helicopter parents themselves and are trying a new thing? Once my older child told me as a young adult that "manners don't matter anymore Mom." I said they sure do to a large percentage of people, maybe older than 35 who have different expectations.:angelic: And so many of my older friends who are grandparents have constantly complained about being in public play places with their grandkids where a child misbehaves excessively and the parent sits there and does nothing. Like throwing things at other children or physically shoving them....when one friend suggested the parent should say something the parent responded " Oh I don't think it hurt them or bothered them THAT much." Sigh.....:banghead:

And you want to ask this older generation why they raised their kids to be such horrible parents. I really do not understand what is wrong with people now. How do they not have any pride or self respect? And as others have said, these parents that won't tell their kids no and give them whatever they want are not raising happy, well adjusted kids. Kids are more depressed and suicidal now then they have ever been. Couple that with the horrible, processed, no nutrition food that these kids are being fed(mac and cheese is not a nutritious meal), and you get kids that are what I consider to be in abusive households. If you can not give a kid proper nutrition, nor can you teach your kids how to behave and right from wrong, then they should not be parents.

jaklgreen

On a serious note: Are you kidding with this mentality? Are there really women that feel personally insulted by someone just trying to be polite? Equality movement or not, that is pure insanity.

I think that there are so few genuine polite men now that a lot of woman are defensive. You have no idea what it is like to constantly be stared at, cat called, intimidated, even threatened when you ignore a man, all while walking down the street. It is very scary to be a woman now. If a woman has a different opinion then a man and he can't think of anything intelligent to say they he goes to the standard B!t@h name calling. Look at how many woman are assaulted and killed on a yearly basis. Just put yourself in that position and really try to understand what it is like. Still that is no excuse to be rude and I personally say "thank you" and move on. But I am of an age that I am not harassed as I once was.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well I am perfectly capable of opening doors for myself, but I do appreciate and enjoy when a gentleman opens door for me. Especially if I am dressed up for church or out for the evening, when DH remembers its very nice. I in turn hold doors for just about anyone approaching behind me at stores as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom