Behavioral U-Turn Needed.. Quickly

Have Manners Disappeared?

• Yes; Manners have disappeared.

Votes: 114 42.2%
  • No; Manners are still in full force.

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Somewhat; Manners aren’t quite what they were.

Votes: 145 53.7%

• Total voters

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
And you want to ask this older generation why they raised their kids to be such horrible parents. I really do not understand what is wrong with people now. How do they not have any pride or self respect? And as others have said, these parents that won't tell their kids no and give them whatever they want are not raising happy, well adjusted kids. Kids are more depressed and suicidal now then they have ever been. Couple that with the horrible, processed, no nutrition food that these kids are being fed(mac and cheese is not a nutritious meal), and you get kids that are what I consider to be in abusive households. If you can not give a kid proper nutrition, nor can you teach your kids how to behave and right from wrong, then they should not be parents.

One of the biggest factors I think, is NOT how they were raised but rather the addictions that have replaced interactions with fellow human beings on a vast level....cell phones especially....having to keep up, check, be preoccupied with impressing the internet. When I started seeing people be so absorbed they would stop anywhere and ignore the world around them....I started noticing it more and more til now? its sort of the norm. Several years ago I went into library and a lady sat down on floor right in front of me just inside doors, in front of check out desk, main path everyone must go....her husband was with her too! He said what are you doing? She said updating my facebook to let them know I am at the library....that is pathetic but surely you could have at least gone to the side or sat down at a table nearby....but the floor? They had a large story on NPR last week again about screen time for children and how now the schools are using it as a babysitter as well, and it is replacing classroom interaction and parents were trying to figure out how much their children were actually on screens at school, being assigned homework on screens, and of course their fun time....how to moniter and limit it when its so out of control?

It is an addiction to being stimulated and entertained, and if anyone has had the joy of getting away from it all and realizing what a waste of time so many of the things we do on screens truly is?

Ha yes I am here on a screen right now, but my WDW addiction doesn't consume my life. :angelic::happy: If it were not for FP and MDE I would not even take my phone into the park....or it would at least be turned off.....anyhow children seeing their parents glued to their phones sends the message "THIS is more important....THIS is how adults behave..."

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I learn a lot about the kind of parent I some day want to be (and don't want to be) when I am at Disney parks. Fortunately, my wife and I seem to be on the same page.

My dad worked in the restaurant business for 30 years starting in the early 80's and witnessed pretty much every bad parenting example you can imagine....kids coloring on the walls, damaging property, running into aisle ways causing employees to fall, doing something stupid and getting hurt. Because of this, and the fact that they wanted to raise decent people, he and my mom were very strict about how we acted in public. It was very clear that the world was not our playground. In my biased opinion, they did a good job of not only communicating what their expectations were but also communicating to us, in often an unpleasant tone that was quiet enough to not make a scene but stern enough to get the point across, when we clearly were not meeting said expectations.

Having worked in retail management for 30 years, I know exactly what your dad went through...maybe because I'm getting older (54), but if my brother and I did something wrong, we would get "the look" from my mom...usually that was enough for us!! lol
All I know is that if we misbehaved just 10% of what these entitled kids are doing, I'd STILL be pulling the shoelaces of my father's sized 12 shoes out of my posterior.

Goofyernmost

Because humans have a relatively long in utero gestation period followed by a nursing period during which time the mother is infertile, the reproductive capacity for a human woman is limited to roughly one child every two years. Conversely, a man could father a new child every hour.
A common mistaken thought brought on by the fact that people had less sex during that time period, mostly caused by pure exhaustion, so the birth rate was much lower. But, that was really caused by the common female statement of... "Get the hell away from me".

However, one of the best ways to tell who thought that was true are those with big families that have a number of kids that are just barely a year apart. :jawdrop::joyfull:

NickMaio

I am pretty sure it is rude in all cultures to let your kids keep bumping into people, or play in the flowers, or not to disrupt other's enjoyment. Too many times the parents see and allow their children to keep running into others. On our last trip I had to tell the parents to get their kid to stop ramming my daughters and myself or I would stop him. They saw him do it over and over and saw that we were annoyed and trying to avoid him and did NOTHING.
Actually.... in many cultures around the world bumping into people is part of everyday life.

Sure you dont agree with my post about Disney being a melting pot if cultures therefor rudeness is really a ethnocentric idea.
Travel the world..... In many places you might be the "so called" rude or ignorant one.

Goofyernmost

Actually.... in many cultures around the world bumping into people is part of everyday life.

Sure you dont agree with my post about Disney being a melting pot if cultures therefor rudeness is really a ethnocentric idea.
Travel the world..... In many places you might be the "so called" rude or ignorant one.
Where would that be exactly? I have traveled the world, sorry, but, I have never run into that. Crowding and not give personal space perhaps, but, that really isn't intentionally bumping in to people with objects.

NickMaio

I am pretty sure it is rude in all cultures to let your kids keep bumping into people, or play in the flowers, or not to disrupt other's enjoyment. Too many times the parents see and allow their children to keep running into others. On our last trip I had to tell the parents to get their kid to stop ramming my daughters and myself or I would stop him. They saw him do it over and over and saw that we were annoyed and trying to avoid him and did NOTHING.
Also flower beds are made to be run through and enjoyed. Not just looked at from afar.

The world is a very different place from North America. Values...virtues...and morals. Just because you are in Orlando does not mean that everyone who does not hold the same values as you is a rude and bad parent or child. Disney calls on people from all over the world. And many answer that call. Many behave in a manner that is totally acceptable to where they are from.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yeah its a multiple combination of things.....and while we can blame parenting in part, anyone with multiple children who raised them setting same examples, and boundaries, etc. often can tell you there are other factors at play when you get such different behavior patterns from different children in same family. Its no one thing....:happy:.

BUT in reference above to flower beds are to run through.....best not come through my yard!!!!!.:bored::cool:...here that would be bad manners, and likewise if my children chose to run through manicured flower beds at WDW.....it would NOT be acceptable behavior in my book....:angelic:.

Smiley/OCD

Also flower beds are made to be run through and enjoyed. Not just looked at from afar.

The world is a very different place from North America. Values...virtues...and morals. Just because you are in Orlando does not mean that everyone who does not hold the same values as you is a rude and bad parent or child. Disney calls on people from all over the world. And many answer that call. Many behave in a manner that is totally acceptable to where they are from.

I honestly don't know if you're just pushing buttons or you're that ignorant but since when do we have to bend our rules, morals and norms just because it's just fine and dandy in other parts of the world? You travel here, you assimilate to OUR way of doing things, if you can't, or don't want to, please stay home and patiently wait for Disney to open a park in your country. As far as running thru flower beds...I invite anyone to try that at my house...trust me, I won't be as "accommodating" as Disney.

Last edited:

NickMaio

I honestly don't know if you'e just pushing buttons or you're that ignorant but since when do we have to bend our rules, morals and norms just because it's just fine and dandy in other parts of the world? You travel here, you assimilate to OUR way of doing things, if you can't, or don't want to, please stay home and patiently wait for Disney to open a park in your country. As far as running thru flower beds...I invite anyone to try that at my house...trust me, I won't be as "accommodating" as Disney.
Are you reading what I am typing.....? Do you understand my point......?
So going to Disney means assimilating to American ways? It's a travel destination for crying out loud not citizenship... Even with citizenship you are not expected to assimilate a culture!..ok. I guessed I missed that in the brochure.
Honestly though.... If you travel to any Huge travel destination you should expect a certain level of difference. Even tolerance for others perhaps.....

It's quite clear though that we would never see eye to eye concerning such things as acceptance and tolerance.

NickMaio

I honestly don't know if you're just pushing buttons or you're that ignorant but since when do we have to bend our rules, morals and norms just because it's just fine and dandy in other parts of the world? You travel here, you assimilate to OUR way of doing things, if you can't, or don't want to, please stay home and patiently wait for Disney to open a park in your country. As far as running thru flower beds...I invite anyone to try that at my house...trust me, I won't be as "accommodating" as Disney.
Do you really know what assimilate means...did you really mean that.

If you did. We could not be further apart in views.....

KikoKea

And you want to ask this older generation why they raised their kids to be such horrible parents. I really do not understand what is wrong with people now. How do they not have any pride or self respect? And as others have said, these parents that won't tell their kids no and give them whatever they want are not raising happy, well adjusted kids. Kids are more depressed and suicidal now then they have ever been. Couple that with the horrible, processed, no nutrition food that these kids are being fed(mac and cheese is not a nutritious meal), and you get kids that are what I consider to be in abusive households. If you can not give a kid proper nutrition, nor can you teach your kids how to behave and right from wrong, then they should not be parents.

We taught our kids to be polite and respectful, and we impressed upon them the dire consequences that would befall them should they embarrass us in public, in a foreign country, or at military function. We did not tolerate tantrums, and would remove the kid when he threw one- only took a few times and there were no more.

My mother-in-law said she'd take my boys anywhere, but she was embarrassed by my sister-in-law's boys. Sis-in-law was way too busy with her own life pursuits to discipline or instill respect for others in her children. When her boys caused problems, she blamed others as being intolerant or said it was not her problem, but the teacher's, the neighbor's, our problem, etc. I've seen the same with many parents, and the result is adults and kids who don't respect others and expect to be able to do whatever they want without anyone calling them on it.

MickeyCB

Were you serious regarding the above statement that flower beds are to be run through? The same flower beds it takes a lot of money, time and energy to create for our viewing pleasure?
If you allowed this, in one day at Disney or any where else people create beautiful gardens, all of that beauty would be destroyed!
Or am I overreacting and you were being sarcastic?

NickMaio

Were you serious regarding the above statement that flower beds are to be run through? The same flower beds it takes a lot of money, time and energy to create for our viewing pleasure?
If you allowed this, in one day at Disney or any where else people create beautiful gardens, all of that beauty would be destroyed!
Or am I overreacting and you were being sarcastic?
No...no..no
I never said it was ok to run through Disney flower beds. That other cultures do this.....therefor it is ok for them in their minds and that they might think that the purpose of the flower bed was to run through. I would expect Dis or others to ask them to stop.

I am not condoning such behaviour..... Is one truly rude if they truly dont know they are being rude. That is and was my point.

KBLovedDisney

I vote this. People are all about themselves, the entitlement is off the charts. The sad fact is that most of the people don't even realize they are this way because they think they're normal. And if you say something to them, they are genuinely offended because they couldn't have done anything wrong.
Sounds like something to do with narcissism sadly

jaklgreen

I have traveled to other parts of the world, but obviously not parts that think that having your kid constantly ram into others is OK. In fact the Countries that I have been in would definitely consider that rude. And from my experience, these offenders are Americans, who should know better. There is zero excuse that you can make that can justify obvious rude behavior. We are not talking about accidentally bumping into someone, but blatant ramming. And I highly doubt that I would be considered rude by NOT bumping into someone, that is ridiculous.

jaklgreen

Are you reading what I am typing.....? Do you understand my point......?
So going to Disney means assimilating to American ways? It's a travel destination for crying out loud not citizenship... Even with citizenship you are not expected to assimilate a culture!..ok. I guessed I missed that in the brochure.
Honestly though.... If you travel to any Huge travel destination you should expect a certain level of difference. Even tolerance for others perhaps.....

It's quite clear though that we would never see eye to eye concerning such things as acceptance and tolerance.

Well foreigners are constantly saying how Americans should "learn the culture" of countries that they are visiting. So why shouldn't it work both ways? What kind of double standard is that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom