• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Beauty and the Beast sing-along coming to Epcot's France Pavilion

jt04

I'm only looking forward to a seamless digitized IdF.

Sing along just not something I would do.

Seems like they have found the perfect balance. IMO.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Advertisement
I’m saying management decided something needed to be done for the little darlings who’ll miss their hedge maze meet n greet area. And this is the knee jerk temporary solution.

No, the last part was serious. Hypothalamus was a great character in a very clever attraction.
And I, again, agree that it's a crappy solution.

Perhaps I should share my personal view at the events at hand to ease some tension: I have no opinion on the attraction, this I have stated several times. I am not a fan of IPs being shoe-horned into Epcot where they don't work, this, I have not properly addressed. I am not a fan of a sing-along show replacing IDF. I am more in favor of an updated france film, the same way I am more in favor of an updated canada and china film instead of an IP. I wish they had updated Maelstrom instead of putting on Frozen. I am very much a huge fan of Epcot's original message and intentions.

But... I will always stand by the fact that I am aware that the average theme park guest does not like the same things we Epcot buffs may appreciate. Today's guests do not understand. Today's guests want more Disney. More IP. That is what will make Disney more money. IDF will not. IDF does not have guests rope-drop guests flocking to it. IDF does not have hyped up people on buses saying they're looking forward to it (except the few original Epcot fanatics). It is a sad reality that I am aware of. I shouldn't have to justify myself saying "an IP will be much more popular." Which is literally the essence of everything I was saying. That's just a fact.

I never said that it is a good idea, I never said that I liked it, and I never said that people should not like IDF. I do not have any charts, graphs, or physical evidence for you to look at. But my reasonings are precise and accurate.

All that aside, I'm just honestly going to give it a rest and say that this is a "agree to disagree" argument. And I've said the following statement several times to you Martin, as you know. "I have the upmost respect for you and your knowledge, Martin. I hope this does not create a barrier between us." Yadda yadda, you get the jist.

Side note-- Thanks for the signature complement! I grew up watching CC on a loop when I was little, loved it. Also, Martin is my last name.

Disneyhead'71

I should say, I'm not a "Disney Brand" fan. You won't find me waiting in an hour long line to get the latest Disney Parks Pop figure or a F&W cutting board. I own no rose gold whatever. I know there are tons that do, thus the hour long lines.

I am a theme park fan. A fan of museums. What drew me to Disney Parks is their depth. Their inspiration.

This is the antithesis of what made me fall in love with Disney Parks. I'd rather sit through a root canal than go to a sing-a-long.

Last edited:

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
And I, again, agree that it's a crappy solution.

Perhaps I should share my personal view at the events at hand to ease some tension: I have no opinion on the attraction, this I have stated several times. I am not a fan of IPs being shoe-horned into Epcot where they don't work, this, I have not properly addressed. I am not a fan of a sing-along show replacing IDF. I am more in favor of an updated france film, the same way I am more in favor of an updated canada and china film instead of an IP. I wish they had updated Maelstrom instead of putting on Frozen. I am very much a huge fan of Epcot's original message and intentions.

But... I will always stand by the fact that I am aware that the average theme park guest does not like the same things we Epcot buffs may appreciate. Today's guests do not understand. Today's guests want more Disney. More IP. That is what will make Disney more money. IDF will not. IDF does not have guests rope-drop guests flocking to it. IDF does not have hyped up people on buses saying they're looking forward to it (except the few original Epcot fanatics). It is a sad reality that I am aware of. I shouldn't have to justify myself saying "an IP will be much more popular." Which is literally the essence of everything I was saying. That's just a fact.

I never said that it is a good idea, I never said that I liked it, and I never said that people should not like IDF. I do not have any charts, graphs, or physical evidence for you to look at. But my reasonings are precise and accurate.

All that aside, I'm just honestly going to give it a rest and say that this is a "agree to disagree" argument. And I've said the following statement several times to you Martin, as you know. "I have the upmost respect for you and your knowledge, Martin. I hope this does not create a barrier between us." Yadda yadda, you get the jist.

Side note-- Thanks for the signature complement! I grew up watching CC on a loop when I was little, loved it. Also, Martin is my last name.
Peace and love. And thank you :)

And poor you. Wait until you try and check into hotels with a partner if you’re not married. “Mr and Mrs Smith huh?”

aladdin2007

I’m saying management decided something needed to be done for the little darlings who’ll miss their hedge maze meet n greet area. And this is the knee jerk temporary solution.

No, the last part was serious. Hypothalamus was a great character in a very clever attraction. Was also developed by Jerry Rees’s wife.
makes sense, however I do still worry it will become so popular that they will decide to make it permanent, but then I guess not if they are spending money on IDF updates....speaking of updates, I know it was commented briefly above, but regarding circle of life,,do they really have a concrete replacement in the pipeline? I had not kept up with that one. If you cant comment no worries.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
makes sense, however I do still worry it will become so popular that they will decide to make it permanent, but then I guess not if they are spending money on IDF updates....speaking of updates, I know it was commented briefly above, but regarding circle of life,,do they really have a concrete replacement in the pipeline? I had not kept up with that one. If you cant comment no worries.
Last I heard, yes.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Was their Disney cartoon sing-a-long inspirational? And more importantly, what flavor were their Mickey cupcakes? If they weren't Birthday Cake with confetti sprinkles, I'm boycotting!
You should see their projection show, it runs only during the day. The projector is outside, and the projections show up on the floor and walls.

mikejs78

Premium Member
will always stand by the fact that I am aware that the average theme park guest does not like the same things we Epcot buffs may appreciate. Today's guests do not understand. Today's guests want more Disney. More IP. That is what will make Disney more money. IDF will not. IDF does not have guests rope-drop guests flocking to it. IDF does not have hyped up people on buses saying they're looking forward to it (except the few original Epcot fanatics). It is a sad reality that I am aware of. I shouldn't have to justify myself saying "an IP will be much more popular." Which is literally the essence of everything I was saying. That's just a fact.
Here's the thing. Good product management (and WDW is a product) doesn't necessarily give people what they want. Yes, it takes customer desires into account but distills the difference between what the customers think they want and what they really want. If Disney were doing this right, they'd ask what the best attractions were to fit the theme of the park. Some of those may include IP and some may not. Whenever IP is used, it should be in service to the attraction and story being told, not an end to itself.

RSoxNo1

Because you don’t know what I wanted to do - and did do - on August 25th. There’s no way you could know. So to make a blanket statement like that is a silly thing to do.

And I’m not lying.

Like many things just because you may not know about or understand why others have an appreciation for something, it doesn’t mean said appreciation can’t exist.

Being intimidating isn’t my style.
Having said all this. Every attraction is someone's favorite attraction, but I wonder/fear if the entirely educational shows around World Showcase have a place anymore. I'm encouraged that Disney is revitalizing all of them, but would a new WS pavilion get an equivalent?

sgtmgd

I don't get the horror of it.
BatB is set in France. She has done MnGs there for at least 15 yrs.

Let's not forget that there was a day when there was no Disney IP in EPCOT, and people were not fans.
That's how we got the fab5 in rainbow bedecked jacketed potato outfits.

Big picture, we have Coco stuff in Mexico, Mulan in China, Remy & Belle in France, Mary Poppins in UK, Aladdin & Jasmin in Morocco.
Not to mention Mexico Donald, Future World meet n greets, and Star Lord and friends.
Stop making sense

LittleBuford

Don't get me wrong, I hate all movie characters in EPCOT, but my point was that if they insist EPCOT have IP, at least spread it out.
I see what you’re saying, but it’s interesting to me that Aladdin’s presence in Morocco doesn’t get people as worked up as some of the other instances of Epcot IP, despite his being from a non-existent country. At least Arendelle makes visual references to Norway; Agrabah, by contrast, is a complete hodgepodge, with most of its sources being much further east than Morocco.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I see what you’re saying, but it’s interesting to me that Aladdin’s presence in Morocco doesn’t get people as worked up as some of the other instances of Epcot IP, despite his being from a non-existent country. At least Arendelle makes visual references to Norway; Agrabah, by contrast, is a complete hodgepodge, with most of its sources being much further east than Morocco.
I suspect that if they had just inserted in a Frozen M&G into Norway, there would have been little complaining. Even if they had added FEA as a new build, you probably would have heard some complaints but it would have been more muted. It's the fact that they took an IP from a non-existent country to replace an existing atteaction about Norway's culture, which is what I think contributed to the outrage.

I also think if they had made the ride more about Norway (for example, Anna and Elsa visit neighboring Norway to learn about their culture and heritage) instead of being a Fantasyland-style dark ride, that would have muted the criticism somewhat. It still would have been there, but lessened, I think. This is why people don't object to Aladdin in Morocco. He's not replacing anything of note.

Top Bottom