News Beauty and the Beast sing-along coming to Epcot's France Pavilion

MattFrees71

Yeah, I was sitting there with the widest smile on my face seeing it in such great definition, loved it. My girlfriend leaned over when it was done to say "that's a film that doesn't even need much updating, so much of it still works today" (e.g. doesn't have as many things like the old Spirit of Norway film's bulky portable phones...I loved that film, but had Frozen not come along it'd have been in dire need of an update). The arrangement of the classic French compositions is just so perfect when you've been walking through a humid Florida day and just want to be transported for a few minutes in an air conditioned theater.

Something I noticed on my trip this week (first trip to WDW since 2015) while in EPCOT was how many people seemed completely unaware of the films and shows around World Showcase, but then how pleased most of the people who went and watched them seemed to be afterward. Yes, I did see a guy leave O Canada early, saw two guys leave American Adventure early, but the vast majority I watched with were clearly at attention and many of the shows ended with applause; I get that these are older formats now, as stuff like CircleVision doesn't inspire the same awe it did back in the day, but I can't help but feel that if Disney put a bit more effort into informing people of their existence that more people would take a peek and find themselves enjoying a nice mid-tier attraction to better fill a relaxing afternoon around the promenade. ...Don't get me wrong, I like being able to walk in without a long wait for these films, but still, World Showcase thrives on these kinds of simple, unique things.
I've had similar experience observing people react to Impressions de France. A few months ago, I remember one particular night showing where everyone in the theater seemed spellbound. I still remember an older couple holding hands, young children noiseless with eyes glued to the screen, and an applause at the end. It was as if everyone was all tuckered out after walking around Epcot all day and were then surprisingly delighted, refreshed, and enchanted by the whole experience.

That film is so well done you really feel like you've visited there. I have some European friends who saw it and they said it was really well done and represented France well- which is a great complement because some Europeans can be very critical of such American productions.

oogie boogie man

I couldn't stand the live action version. It seems like everyone of them isn't true to the original animated movies they are based on. The only one I've liked so far is Jungle Book (I haven't seen Lion King yet).

Rich Brownn

I couldn't stand the live action version. It seems like everyone of them isn't true to the original animated movies they are based on. The only one I've liked so far is Jungle Book (I haven't seen Lion King yet).
Well, the live actions aren't supposed to be beat-for-beat remakes. The best of them ("Jungle Book", "Cinderella") vary quite a bit from the animated films. The lesser one try to be a live action carbon copy. But you can also go too far afield and lose the point entirely (I'm looking at you, "Dumbo")

cheezbat

I think B&B should stick in Magic Kingdom. I don't even like it being in Hollywood anymore.
Agreed.

I don’t know why this show even has to exist. You have a whole Beauty and the Beast mini area in Magic Kingdom. You have the tired stage show(which people sing along with already!) in Hollywood Studios...why on earth do they need to plop this stupid sing along in France in EPCOT?

James J

In the Parks
No

Funnily enough, the ones that have attracted the most criticism are those that have been deemed to be too true to the animated originals, like BatB, Aladdin and Lion King. The Jungle Book did something a bit different and is generally held in higher regard because of it.

rkleinlein

Agreed.

I don’t know why this show even has to exist. You have a whole Beauty and the Beast mini area in Magic Kingdom. You have the tired stage show(which people sing along with already!) in Hollywood Studios...why on earth do they need to plop this stupid sing along in France in EPCOT?
Yes, exactly. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but it's overkill. It's being rammed down our throats at every opportunity. There's such a thing as too much of a good thing. Even worse is too much of an annoying thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom