Beastly Kingdom

WDWGuide

I think they need to fix Everest before they even think of building a new land. The first half of the attraction is very weak(especially the section where you are waiting for the track change to go backwards) and needs money to increase theming or add narration. The story is extemely hard to follow.

Also, if Joe Rhode is in charge of Beastly Kingdom developement, I don't have high hopes for the land.

Surely you are joking... :veryconfu Different people have different tastes, but the general consensus seems to be that Everest is one of the best-themed attractions to open at WDW since AK opened. Sure, it has some rough spots, but aside from re-enabling the mist effects, there really isn't much they can do to plus the ride at this time. And it certainly doesn't need narration - you are on a train into the mountains, you find the track has been destroyed, and then the Yeti messes up your day by inviting you on a detour through his realm.

devoy1701

Beastly Kingdom sounds great....well the idea of it anyway. I guess the rest of you are ok with the name of the land, but i really don't like the name "Beastly Kingdom."

I don't have a suggestion off hand, so don't be like, "well what would you suggest?!?!?!" But I really just hope BK is the working name...

maybe they'll throw in a BK Lounge for us all to hang out.

PhilharMagician

I think they need to fix Everest before they even think of building a new land. The first half of the attraction is very weak(especially the section where you are waiting for the track change to go backwards) and needs money to increase theming or add narration. The story is extemely hard to follow.

Also, if Joe Rhode is in charge of Beastly Kingdom developement, I don't have high hopes for the land.

:eek:

SJN1279

Wow. Thats not a very common opinion. Mind if I ask why such a poor opinion of Mr. Rhode?

Let me preface this by saying I'm a Disney guy first and foremost. I just returned from Orlando last week and these were my feelings.

I think Rhode did an awful job with Everest. The Mountain looks great, well half of it, but inside, the theming is lacking compared to the high expectations that were set. The sound on the attraction is horrendous, no memorable music or narration pushing the story. During the first track switch, you just sit there with nothing to look at or listen to. Its an unexcusable dead spot.

That said, I felt The Mummy in Universal is a more emersive story. There are no dead spots in the attraction and its action packed throughout. On the first track switch you are attacked by beatles and not just looking at a static scene as you do in the Disney counterpart. My hope was that Everest would blow the Mummy away and sadly I felt the reverse. Everest opened 2 years later than the Mummy and was inferior, I find that inexcuseable for Disney.

Just my 2 cents....

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Let me preface this by saying I'm a Disney guy first and foremost. I just returned from Orlando last week and these were my feelings.

I think Rhode did an awful job with Everest. The Mountain looks great, well half of it, but inside, the theming is lacking compared to the high expectations that were set. The sound on the attraction is horrendous, no memorable music or narration pushing the story. During the first track switch, you just sit there with nothing to look at or listen to. Its an unexcusable dead spot.

That said, I felt The Mummy in Universal is a more emersive story. There are no dead spots in the attraction and its action packed throughout. On the first track switch you are attacked by beatles and not just looking at a static scene as you do in the Disney counterpart. My hope was that Everest would blow the Mummy away and sadly I felt the reverse. Everest opened 2 years later than the Mummy and was inferior, I find that inexcuseable for Disney.

Just my 2 cents....

I was just curious as I have never had the opportunity to ride the attraction. I have only seen the exterior and que. I guess I will get to decide for myself in October hopefully.

ToTBellHop

my source is my eyes and the fact that after 9 years, there is still a dragon on the AK park logo. The park is clearly designed to showcase mythological beasts (dragons, in particular), and I have little doubt that if Disney did not intend to eventually add such a land, it would not still be hinted at in the park's logo after almost a decade. Is it an assumption? Surely. But, I think it's a pretty reasonable one.

devoy1701

Ya see what happens when you throw in a Dane joke?!

none of ya'll made a comment on what I was hoping to get commented on. The joke was just to make ya'll chuckle and want to reply to the important stuff!!

jesus... (<---another one!) ;)

dave2822

I think Rhode did an awful job with Everest. The Mountain looks great, well half of it, but inside, the theming is lacking compared to the high expectations that were set

The theming (que line, surrounding Asia area, exterior, AA) is the most realistic and incredible theming I've ever seen, IMHO.

During the first track switch, you just sit there with nothing to look at or listen to. Its an unexcusable dead spot.

True, perhaps something may be needed there.

That said, I felt The Mummy in Universal is a more emersive story. There are no dead spots in the attraction and its action packed throughout. On the first track switch you are attacked by beatles and not just looking at a static scene as you do in the Disney counterpart. My hope was that Everest would blow the Mummy away and sadly I felt the reverse. Everest opened 2 years later than the Mummy and was inferior, I find that inexcuseable for Disney

To each his own, I guess. The backwards portion of the Mummy is about as intense as Maelstrom compared to EE ... I'd exchange a "deadspot" with beatles for the amount of G's I pulled anyday. And though The Mummy is certainly a blast, love that ride, the theming is less than so-so. Sitting in the front seat with the yeti bearing down on me is amazing ... little beatles, not so much.

And AK basically exists today because of Rhode, so I wouldn't just denounce the guy's entire portfolio of work because of a deadspot on one attraction.

Again, no way attacking your opinion, you gave yours, I gave mine.

darthjohnny

I agree - Dinoland needs to be rethemed. The carnival aspect does not work well. Disney needs to make you feel like your entering the "real" world of Dinosaurs (similar to what the Jurassic Park movies do). Adding the Excavator attraction that was cut do to the budget could help this land greatly and would be the first wooden roller coaster in WDW.

Your ideas for attractions are great. Lion King and Jungle Books dark rides have never been built at any of the parks before, and where they center on animals, they would be pefect fits for the parks. As for the water flume ride, the concept needs a little bit of tweaking, but overall the Egyptian theme is a nice touch. And for the record, water rides are always a welcome to guests visiting in the summer months.

Dinoland U.S.A. is not supposed to be set 65 million years ago (other than when Dinosaur, the ride, takes you back in time). It is today. Disney wouldn't want to make it like Jurassic Park anyway, because of course JP is from Universal, and they would never want to be like their competitors.

Dinoland U.S.A. is an little city/fraternity town where dinosaurs are the #1 priority.

It is its own little fictional community , and Chester and Hester happened to set up their Dino-Rama in that town.

dizneycrazy09

Granted that there have been more Beastly Kingdom threads than I can count, I just want to know if this one is any different. Can anyone knowingly say that Beastly Kingdom is near the stage of being green-lit or still just as much up in the air as it was? :shrug: lee maybe?

JCAEdge21

probably should've based this off of a quote but whatever.. My only real "beef" with Everest is that the mountain isn't a finished mountain and that only about 75% of the structure is made to look like a mountain. I know this was done with the intention that people would never see the unfinished part, but it's pretty obvious when approaching the park from osceola parkway. I wish they would just finish it, its a shame...

Krimedog

Everest was probably one of the most studied attractions in disney. If you did not know, they ventured to find out what the yeti was really like. They scoped out the landscape to figure out the big mt, they asked people what their thoughts of the yeti was. This was one of the biggest disney projects, and i think Joe Rohde did an extraordinary job from everything he gathered. The queue has so much to look at, and the ride itself is amazing. One deadspot out of that attraction is not bad, and who cares, enjoy the flipping ride.

Sorry, rant.

Anywho, the Beastly kingdom thing, i would like to see it done, but FOTLK has to stay in the park, its a must. Take out Nemos stupid musical and put it their, idc. Animal kingdom is already the biggest park and does need a few more e tickets to make it an all day park. Beastly kingdom im sure will put a couple more in, and also more stuff to look at and or do or see. BUt when it happens, noone knows.

herc

As much as I would love this to be true, it's most likely a misunderstanding or miscommunication.
Beastly Kingdom, if it were real, would be the largest in-park project in nearly 10 years. A project of this magnitude would be difficult to keep secret for very long. If they were at the point to hand out carpeting contracts, we should have been hearing some significant buzz about it, as well as seeing significant activity in the Camp Minnie-Mickey area - site surveys, ground preparation work, etc.

I really hope I am wrong - next to the Excavator, BK has always been my favorite canceled AK addition.

EDIT/Addition: It's true that WDW needs a major addition within the next few years, since a fifth gate is not on the horizon and Universal is likely to attract a lot of attention with their Potter land. But recently they have been building and refurbishing attractions at a rate that we could have only dreamed of just five years ago - it's hard for me to imagine that they'll add a major new land before "cashing in" on the recent and upcoming attractions with a period of relative quiet.

My first post, so be kind...

Nobody should believe anything until it is announced. I enjoyed reading the first post with the faint possibility that it may be true. Just because someone was contacted, doesn't mean it is going forward. It could be to get opinions, possible design work, etc.

Now if they truly were adding BK to the park, in the original area where Camp Minnie Mickey is now, wouldn't you think that Disney would move Legend of the Lion King to a new location in, let's say, the African section near Harambi. The show is WAY TOO POPULAR for it to just go away.

As for Disney adding and upgrading at a terrific pace, many of these upgrades are needed as WDW seems to have been neglected over the last five years. What they do at Animal Kingdom is quite different than their other parks. Joe Rohde runs this park and his creativitiy and imagination is evident throughout, especially with Expedition Everest.

I'm sure if they are doing preliminary work now, there may be a cut off period for approval. I would think that Disney would wait for any major announcements until right before or during the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal to move some of the spotlight back on Disney World.

As for a fifth park, I think we are years away on that one. The four parks need some care right now.
MK needs some TLC and a new E ticket ride where 20K used to be.

Epcot needs to add some more excitement and possible attractions, especially since Wonders of Life is no more. These possible candidates have been tossed around: a Canada log flume ride, Japan Mt. Fuji, Germany Rhine River Ride, and a Weather Pavillion. Hopefully one or more could get approval.

AK: With the addition of EE and upcoming Rivers of Light parade and full-service dining Yak and Yeti, AK is on it's way to becoming a full-day park. It does need more attractions. Hopefully BK is on the horizon and maybe once Asia is set, a new territory could be conjured up (I vote for the Australian Outback).

DHS: With the name change in 2008, I hope this park gets the treatment is deserves. Pixar Place will be a welcomed addition, especially since rumor has it that a version of the Crush Coaster from the Paris Studios is rumored to come over in some fashion. Although I don't agree with the official response concerning the "hat", it would just make sense to move that darn thing to a new location. Here's hoping for future expansion and soon.

I'm all for BK, as I think many internet posters are. If Disney only reads half of what people write in here alone, that would be worth it. Given other site and blogs talk up BK, it just seems like a natural progression.

PhilharMagician

If BK ever happens (I do not believe it will) and it is located in CMM you will see FotLK go bye bye because it just wouldn't fit the theme. I do not think the theater would leave but a new show would most likely be introduced. FotLK has been around a long time and has seen some minor changes. It is a great show if not the best show @ WDW, but it is expendable and I find it hard to believe Disney would build a new theater in Africa for a 10 year old show.

WDWFREAK53

my source is my eyes and the fact that after 9 years, there is still a dragon on the AK park logo. The park is clearly designed to showcase mythological beasts (dragons, in particular), and I have little doubt that if Disney did not intend to eventually add such a land, it would not still be hinted at in the park's logo after almost a decade. Is it an assumption? Surely. But, I think it's a pretty reasonable one.

Right...so it's a myth. Nobody knows for SURE if it's real...but it could be ;)

Craigjr93

Thats cool if they build it

Hey When i went to WDW it was when they First Opened and they were already starting to Build BK. Now they Had the flames coming out like there was a dragon there. I was really excited they were about to build it but when i heard it was canceled i was sad. There were many rumors like this one but if they do build it it would be surprising.

raven

Hey When i went to WDW it was when they First Opened and they were already starting to Build BK. Now they Had the flames coming out like there was a dragon there. I was really excited they were about to build it but when i heard it was canceled i was sad. There were many rumors like this one but if they do build it it would be surprising.

This was a site on the river boat excursion that is no longer open. It only lasted into previews but soon ended due to lengthy lines. BK may have been originally planned but never got the green light nor was the ground even broken for it. Budgets had to be cut somewhere and BK was on that list.

I remember the preview film and model for AK that used to play at MK in the town hall. BK wasn't even mentioned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom