Backlash against Kathleen Kennedy and Star Wars in general

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
In 38 years, or 30 something minutes of screen time, he flirted with one person.

There’s plenty of character yet to be explored.

It’s really not enough that anyone can claim Lando has been 100% established as being heterosexual.

Again...you miss the entire point. Comprehension must not be your thing. Take a read:

"Sorry to have brought identity/gender politics into... NOPE. Not sorry AT ALL 'cause I think the GALAXY George gave birth to in '77 is big enough for EVERYONE: straight, gay, black, white, brown, Twi'lek, Sullustan, Wookiee, DROID & anything inbetween. #droidrights #weAREsentient"

This is from Jon Kasdan's twitter. The co-writer of Solo.

So let's add this to: "The Force is Female" - "Girls can't identify with Luke Skywalker" - "I'm proud of dividing the fan base" and other quotes attributed to Kennedy, Rian Johnson, Jon Kasdan, Pablo Hidalgo, and the like.

You think this backlash is because we don't want different types of characters in the Star Wars universe. Let them bring in new characters that are "straight, gay, black, white, brown, Twi'lek, Sullustan, Wookiee, DROID & anything inbetween". Just don't change the existing ones to fit your narrative.

THE POINT IS - we don't want identity/gender politics and social agendas shoved down our throats......to the detriment of existing characters.........much like what Jon Kasdan says he is happy to do.

That's the issue.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In 38 years, or 30 something minutes of screen time, he flirted with one person.

There’s plenty of character yet to be explored.

It’s really not enough that anyone can claim Lando has been 100% established as being heterosexual.

But lando wasn’t broken...just like Luke WASNT BROKEN!!!

It shouldn’t be offensive to be an 80’s action mainstream hero...they did exist and as far as I can tell - and aren’t directly related to a single case of trauma based on discrimination.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

It's funny and predictable to see people get all worked up because we're told that a character is actually pansexual.

Suddenly, Lando is a character with 38(!) years of character development, and is an established heterosexual because he kissed a girl's hand that one time,

flynnibus

Premium Member
Its like hbo's usual gratuitous nudity in its shows. At times its just forced and unnecessary to move the show along. We all know its present in the show's setting... but so is taking a . We dont show that unless it serves a purpose in the story. Hence the word "gratuitous"

Wendy Pleakley

Again...you miss the entire point. Comprehension must not be your thing. Take a read:

"Sorry to have brought identity/gender politics into... NOPE. Not sorry AT ALL 'cause I think the GALAXY George gave birth to in '77 is big enough for EVERYONE: straight, gay, black, white, brown, Twi'lek, Sullustan, Wookiee, DROID & anything inbetween. #droidrights #weAREsentient"

This is from Jon Kasdan's twitter. The co-writer of Solo.

So let's add this to: "The Force is Female" - "Girls can't identify with Luke Skywalker" - "I'm proud of dividing the fan base" and other quotes attributed to Kennedy, Rian Johnson, Jon Kasdan, Pablo Hidalgo, and the like.

You think this backlash is because we don't want different types of characters in the Star Wars universe. Let them bring in new characters that are "straight, gay, black, white, brown, Twi'lek, Sullustan, Wookiee, DROID & anything inbetween". Just don't change the existing ones to fit your narrative.

THE POINT IS - we don't want identity/gender politics and social agendas shoved down our throats......to the detriment of existing characters.........much like what Jon Kasdan says he is happy to do.

That's the issue.

I comprehend just fine.

There is no social agenda or identity politics being shoved down anyone's throat.

Sometimes, characters in movies are gay, straight, pansexual, whatever. Just like the real world. Get over it.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Premium Member
There is no social agenda or identity politics being shoved down anyone's throat.

Did you read Kasdan's quote? Feel free to go to his twitter page. Read it again.

If the conclusion you make when being confronted with a direct quote from the writer of the movie who states that he has brought gender/identity politics into the movie - is to rely on an answer of - There is no social agenda or identity politics........then you're beyond help.

Wendy Pleakley

Did you read Kasdan's quote? Feel free to go to his twitter page. Read it again.

If the conclusion you make when being confronted with a direct quote from the writer of the movie who states that he has brought gender/identity politics into the movie - is to rely on an answer of - There is no social agenda or identity politics........then you're beyond help.

He also writes "I understand why this bothers you. The journalist who asked the question was referring a specific relationship in Lando's story, which effects the whole plot. Believe it or not, our ONLY AGENDA is to tell an entertaining story. I hope you see it and feel we did.".

Feel free to stop being a condescending .

"El Gran Magnifico"

Premium Member
He also writes "I understand why this bothers you. The journalist who asked the question was referring a specific relationship in Lando's story, which effects the whole plot. Believe it or not, our ONLY AGENDA is to tell an entertaining story. I hope you see it and feel we did.".

Feel free to stop being a condescending ***.

"He also writes".......so your not disputing he wrote the identity/gender politics bit anymore? Good it's a start.

The guy is a walking contradiction. Did you also read the letter he penned. How about Hidalgo's quotes?

You still see this whole thing being about a pansexual character.......which its not.

It's about forcing a social and political agenda on people who want to watch a good Star Wars movie.

Animaniac93-98

An "agenda" requires some sort of planning and long-term execution.

This is someone making stuff up on the spot, after the movie was made, because it sounded like a good idea at the time.

In the end, it's a nontroversy (*trademark Red Letter Media*) that has no bearing on the movie or the rest of the franchise.

Were you all this worked up when Dumbledore was "outed" and then that whole idea was never followed up with in any HP book or movie?

Animaniac93-98

Its like hbo's usual gratuitous nudity in its shows.

No, it's not. HBO shows the nudity in their programming. Lando's sexual orientation is never mentioned, much less depicted (as if a PG Disney release would ever show that).

It's another example of Hollywood queerbaiting for the sake of publicity, which is honestly more offensive that just saying "no, he's straight".

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Glad you never had a problem with all of the heterosexual characters in Star Wars adding their heterosexual activities to the films.
The only difference is that there was never a specific announcement made to highlight a characters heterosexuality. I would find it just as ridiculous if George Lucas had made an announcement that Annakin Skywalker was a heterosexual prior to the release of Attack of the Clones.

FettFan

The agendas are pretty forced and out of place in some of these films. The 'make women strong' agenda is blatent and overflowing in the films recent.

A lot of people complained about this with Rey seemingly being able to pull off the Jedi Mind Trick in TFA.

However....I gave it the benefit of the doubt, given that we didn't know much about Rey. I was thinking that her parents were students of Luke's and she had witnessed them doing the JMT at some point before they left her on Jakku and went off to confront Snoke/Kylo/Knights of Ren/whatever.

And then Rian Johnson yanked down his britches, popped a squat, and dropped a giant turd right onto Star Wars while patting himself on the back and telling everyone how clever he was.
And I especially love how he practically eliminated Phasma from the movie so we could spend time with the useless Rose Tico, because "strong Asian women!" (despite the fact that British-Singaporean actress Jessica Henwick was in TFA as Poe Dameron's wing, Jesika Pava)
(plus I may or may not have a crush on Jessica Henwick and was looking forward to her returning. But I guess she was blown up offscreen because Rian Johnson is a jerkface)

To a normal filmmaker or Star Wars fan, a plot twist would have been something like....
- Snoke was really the first Jedi, but when he went megalomaniacal, the other Jedi overthrew and mortally wounded him, putting him into a state of prolonged hibernation. The Snoke loyalists would rebrand themselves as the first Sith and spent millennia searching for a way to save his life, until Darth Bane came along and said "you know what? That guy sucked anyway" and started his reformed Sith Order with the Rule of Two. To tie it in to the prequels....."At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge." - Darth Maul. But we never saw WHY the Sith wanted revenge against a bunch of space-Shaolin Monks.
Granted, while the reformed Sith under Bane, Plagueis, and Palpatine didn't really care about Snoke or his legacy, they used his story about how the Jedi unfairly rebelled against him as a propaganda tool to keep the Sith fires burning.

- Snoke was a Force-Vampire, draining the life out of other Force-users in order to prolong his own life. That's why he was so keen on getting the grandson of Darth Vader....the kid would essentially be a living battery for him.

- The First Order wasn't really the Empire, but a splinter group that popped up after the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic signed a peace treaty. The New Republic and the IR would have to team up to defeat them.

I didn't spend any time or effort creating those ideas, and yet ALL of them are far more true to Star Wars than Rian Johnson's cinematic diarrhea.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
"You're not a real Star Wars fan".

We reached peak Star Wars internet nerd right here folks.

I'm not the one spewing crap as if it were fact. Why would I bother to invest to elaborate more if you aren't willing to do the same or even listen? Simple fact stated for prosperity... not to convince the one who has no interest in even knowing.

The SW University is not limited to the movies... so pointing to that as the character boundaries is naive.

Last edited:

LSLS

So as not a huge movie guy, here is my question. Is it normal for studio heads to push the amount of changes/rewrites/director changes after a lot of (or all of) the movie has been filmed? I feel like every Star Wars movie put out recently there has been a large amount of changes demanded after the story was written/filmed, but that could be completely normal and I just never realized it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So as not a huge movie guy, here is my question. Is it normal for studio heads to push the amount of changes/rewrites/director changes after a lot of (or all of) the movie has been filmed? I feel like every Star Wars movie put out recently there has been a large amount of changes demanded after the story was written/filmed, but that could be completely normal and I just never realized it.

3 of the 4 disney movies involved major story and/or directorial changes...

Guess which one didn’t?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom