Backlash against Kathleen Kennedy and Star Wars in general

Wendy Pleakley

I missed your earlier point, but I agree the Rose-Finn thing was a complete waste of time and did nothing for the story. Does that mean i'm complaining about straight characters in movies?

There was a romance element there, so obviously Rose was heterosexual. That's a criticism of the story.

If the writers had said, for example, that Woody Harrelson's character was heterosexual, no one would have batted an eye. Casually mention Lando being pansexual though, and everyone loses their minds (even though it does play into how he reacts to his robot a little bit).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If we're going to go the statistic route (really?), then actually it would be valid to have one LGBT character for every 10-20 characters, not every 5-10 movies.

How many characters are in these movies so far?

Sorry...I caught that and changed it just before your response. See above.

This is a difficult topic and simple typos are gonna be misconstrued.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There was a romance element there, so obviously Rose was heterosexual. That's a criticism of the story.

If the writers had said, for example, that Woody Harrelson's character was heterosexual, no one would have batted an eye. Casually mention Lando being pansexual though, and everyone loses their minds (even though it does play into how he reacts to his robot a little bit).

Can I ask how old you are? Because I think there is a generational gap here that we can’t bridge.

I am not a thumper or a knuckle dragging Neanderthal...and I am a proponent of social evolution - support it with my votes, wallet and donations - which most do not.

But I also have pounded the bricks for awhile and have gained some wisdom...

This isn’t such a “it should be the same for everyone!” Debate....in theory that is what I would support. But we don’t live in a theoretical society...and there at setbacks and obstacles to evolution. You can’t just “make it so”.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

I have so many criticism of TLJ honestly.

I don't care what sexual orientation a character is if it has absolutely nothing to do with the story, neither should you or anyone else ;) This along with race honestly should be buried and everyone should be treated equally.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Can I ask how old you are? Because I think there is a generational gap here that we can’t bridge.

This isn’t such a “it should be the same for everyone!” Debate....in theory that is what I would support. But we don’t live in a theoretical society...and there at setbacks and obstacles to evolution. You can’t just “make it so”.

Evolution leads to quite a few dead ends, both biological and social.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
If you think that anything Lando did in the original trilogy precluded him being pansexual, you're nuts. All we know is that he flirts with Leia. Everything else he does in the movies is strictly related to rescuing people and blowing things up. Unless he explicitly states he is strictly heterosexual, there are other possibilities.

Once again, any character that happens to be anything other than heterosexual is "just there to make a statement". It only feels this way because we live in a hetero-normative world where that is the default. There are plenty of characters in movies where a character just happens to be defined as heterosexual, despite not doing anything romantic in the film. I doubt you complain about that,

Bingo! He flirts with Leia.
Did he flirt with Han? How about Chewy? Maybe he fancied Jabba? No.

No one complains if a movie character is heterosexual, or complains that it is pushing an agenda.

The level and type of reaction to this, compared to any other character revelation one could name, speaks volumes.

When the writer comes out and says he is making a statement.......The studio head starts wearing a shirt that says "The Force is Female"........Rian Johnson states that he is proud of dividing the fans.....and they all double down......

At Some Point you need to start believing them.

Please re-read your post. You are missing the entire point. Woody Harrelson's character is a part of the extended universe. If they wanted to make a new character that was heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, transexual, un-sexual - Beautiful - Go For It. No Problem.

The problem is that they took a character that has been defined (and in some circles revered) for over 38 years -
and now want to slip in:
"Hey, he kinda digs droids.........and maybe wookies and ewoks, a few Tusken raiders --- possibly even a Sith Lord or two"

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
When the writer comes out and says he is making a statement.......The studio head starts wearing a shirt that says "The Force is Female"........Rian Johnson states that he is proud of dividing the fans.....and they all double down......

At Some Point you need to start believing them.

Political statements in movies and other entertainment sources where they don't belong drives me up the wall.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Evolution leads to quite a few dead ends, both biological and social.

My only reason for asking is that there’s not a class that teaches the realities of failure and struggle to gain momentum. It’s presented as a historical anecdote when all of history has featured it on a daily basis. Big and small scale

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Bingo! He flirts with Leia.
Did he flirt with Han? How about Chewy? Maybe he fancied Jabba? No.

Being pansexual means he could be attracted to men, women, wookies, or hutts. It does not mean he is automatically attracted to every member of those groups he meets.

NOTHING establishes that he couldn't be attracted to other races or genders, in addition to Leia.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Being pansexual means he could be attracted to men, women, wookies, or hutts. It does not mean he is automatically attracted to every member of those groups he meets.

NOTHING establishes that he couldn't be attracted to other races or genders, in addition to Leia.

Some of those don’t exist...so are you the first “intergalactic alien sexual anthropologist”?

That’s interesting 😎

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member

For 38 years NOTHING has been established that he was......now all of the sudden........
Again you miss the whole point. This is not about a specific type of character being introduced. What many of us are against is taking well established characters and whimsically changing them with no rhyme or reason...to the detriment of the franchise...so someone can make a social statement. That is EXACTLY what Jon Kasdan did. He's admitted as much.

Wendy Pleakley

For 38 years NOTHING has been established that he was......now all of the sudden........
Again you miss the whole point. This is not about a specific type of character being introduced. What many of us are against is taking well established characters and whimsically changing them with no rhyme or reason...to the detriment of the franchise...so someone can make a social statement. That is EXACTLY what Jon Kasdan did. He's admitted as much.

In 38 years, or 30 something minutes of screen time, he flirted with one person.

There’s plenty of character yet to be explored.

It’s really not enough that anyone can claim Lando has been 100% established as being heterosexual.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's absurd to suggest that the reaction to contrived or unnecessary heterosexual love stories is comparable to the reaction when we find out Lando is pansexual, or Dumbledore is gay, etc.
Its absurd to you because you refuse to see other people's view and instead insist on deciding for them what they really think.

The fact its contrived and unnecessary is the problem why we are talking about it in star wars and not random tv show

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom