Backlash against Kathleen Kennedy and Star Wars in general

LSLS

It's pretty uncommon because of the amount of prep work that goes in to a film before even the cameras start to roll. A person in Kennedy's shoes should be on top of things and be able to realize early on in the storyboard phase if a film is going in the direction she wants or thinks is best. Many times that's before even the directors are hired.

For Lord and Miller to be fired over creative differences after they shot most of the film, Colin Trevorrow to be fired almost 2 years after being signed on for 'creative differences', and Rogue One almost being a disaster before re-shoots over 'creative differences'... whether you like the movies or not, this is not a good track record, and a sign she isn't good at her #1 job, which is picking the right directors and making sure everyone is on the same page.

Thanks. Thats what I thought, and you went right where I was thinking, I would think this alone would show her bad leadership.

Kind of agree with you on last jedi. I was ok with it. I will say this (probably shouldn't be opening this here but of well). When I get bored, I like watching trailers and reactions by people. I think the largest problem the last jedi had was the trailer looked so epic (to the point it had fans crying). Then you watch the movie, and it is nothing like the trailer. Everything they teased was solved in minutes, or wasnt even a part of the story. There were obvious issues, but I think they got magnified when it was nothing like what they were previewed.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'm not convinced. Solo isn't bombing because badit's bad, its bombing because people are actively boycotting star wars. That is a very important difference, and one that should be worrisome.

Or its a limited side story that came out memorial weekend too close to avengers and just a few months after the last SW movie. Winter release like the others would have been much better. Whatever the reason, the lands will be just fine.

LSLS

Or its a limited side story that came out memorial weekend too close to avengers and just a few months after the last SW movie. Winter release like the others would have been much better. Whatever the reason, the lands will be just fine.

Lands will probably be ok, but Disney would be stupid if they weren't worried. Every factor you stated is factored into their own estimates and expectations, which solo fell around $25-$50 million below. Its opening weekend was less than the rated R Deadpool 2. I saw that for this friday, it is looking at just $8 million. Again, this movie is well below what was expected, and expectations factor into what you listed. People are actively going against star wars right now, there's just no other way to look at it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
People are actively going against star wars right now, there's just no other way to look at it.

Ehh. There are a number of ways to look at it. Without the appropriate analysis, we are just guessing. I imagine Disney will determine what went wrong.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Chuck Wendig, author of the Star Wars: Aftermath trilogy, writer of the comic adaptation of TFA, and writer of Marvel’s Hyperion comic series, labels critics and boycotters of Solo as white supremacists.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Many Star Wars fans have not been happy with the direction of the last two films, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Leading up to the opening of Solo, I have seen an onslaught of online articles and videos from critics of not only Star Wars but more so of Kathleen Kennedy. Most sight her strict control over the production but also her liberal/feminsim "agenda" seeping into the stories.

Let me state that I enjoyed TFA and TLJ and I have no issue whatsoever with a female (Rey) playing the lead. I think Daisy Ridley has done a terrific job so far. Do I think both movies could have been better? Sure, but you could say that about almost any film. You can definitely sense the feminist aspects of both films but it has not seemed too overwhelming (IMO). Same for Rogue One (which I enjoyed very much). But with Solo and the announcement of one of the characters being "pansexual" (I wont spoil which one, but most people know by now), it seems Kennedy is being targeted even more. Perhaps because she is in control of the Star Wars Universe and the stories.

I personally do not feel that a characters sexual orientation has anything whatsoever to add the story, especially considering the definition of pansexual. I have not seen Solo yet, but for Lawrence Kasdan to announce this (before the movie premiered) feels forced upon us for no reason other than to promote some agenda. Regardless of "the world we live in", I just want to enjoy seeing a Star Wars film and savor the imaginary world and stories I have grown up with and not be reminded of political and social issues of Earth.

I look forward to seeing Solo and will not be joining the #Boycot Starwars movement as I feel it is just as silly as the announcement of a pansexual character. How do you feel about the Star Wars series and the direction it is heading? How do yo feel Kennedy is doing at the helm? Thanks for reading and lets keep the discussion mature.

I have no interest in the gripers and whiners.

And Star Wars has been political and social commentary from day one.

Tony the Tigger

TFA was a reboot. That being said…not a bad way to reintroduce the franchise. Rogue One - not a bad standalone.

TLJ and SOLO are completely forced. TLJ had the opportunity to build on what TFA started – instead:

It took a character like Finn – who had potential. Stormtrooper-to-Jedi type potential (which I thought was brilliant)– and turned him into a bumbling, former stormtrooper janitor who needs an authoritative female character in order to find his moral compass. His intro in TLJ with the ridiculous body suit leaking fluid didn’t help matters.

Laura Dern’s character was forced. What purpose did she serve, other than another authoritative female character who was there to send Poe to his room. She contributed absolutely nothing.

Rose Tico – Forced. Her only purpose was to rail against capitalism and deliver her message about animal cruelty. She contributed absolutely nothing. Wait, I take that back. She saved Finn from himself.

Poe – had the ability to be the wisecracking, rebel, maverick type character not seen since the original Solo. They’ve completely wasted this character, making him a hothead that can’t make competent decisions without – you guessed it – the pink haired Laura Dern.

Del Toro’s ability was wasted with the forced Cantobite scene that again contributed absolutely nothing.

Phasma could have been something. How much merchandising do you think Disney lost because of that misguided decision by Kennedy and Johnson?

Lando is the “Ladies Man” of the Galaxy. Remember him meeting Leia the first time? So as younger version he is now pansexual?

I have no problem with the introduction of new characters. I could care less if they are male, female, white, black, red, LBGTQ, midgets, or anything else……as long as the characters have a defined arc and are developed to maintain continuity.

The last 2 movies they have taken well established characters and “changed” them to fit this new “social injustice” agenda….and guess what – now there is backlash.

Why not make Mickey Mouse gay? How about Goofy being a pansexual? Let’s change Jack Sparrow’s mission to be about animal rights and social inequality…..because this is what they have done to Star Wars.

Therapy can help. Or drinking.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I'm not convinced. Solo isn't bombing because badit's bad, its bombing because people are actively boycotting star wars. That is a very important difference, and one that should be worrisome.
Wow, Solo is really crashing and burning so far this weekend. This will be a major point of discussion at the next Disney Board meeting. They have 2 Star Wars lands opening and a $1,500 a night SW resort. Last thing they need is this.

One or even more relatively underperforming SW films will not affect SW:GE in any noticeable way. It might affect the merchandise that is sold in the parks and marketing. It would take a prolonged period of lower than expected park attendance/bookings and overwhelming negative guest feedback of the land/rides/resort.

Unless other countries coincidentally have national observances along with Memorial Day in the States, the “Memorial Day weekend is usually not a great for the box office” argument doesn’t hold water for the international box office. At the U.K./Ireland/Malta box office, Solo had the 199th biggest opening weekend of all time at US$8.069 mil (no info on whether inflation is factored in). Boss Baby & Kung Fu Panda 2 fared better. Meanwhile, TFA, TLJ, & R1 put up $50.68(2), $37.37(5), and $21.55(36) respectively.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/uk/opening/

Australia is usually another great place for SW films at the box office. Solo earned AU$6.6 mil opening weekend, compared to TFA ($27.25), TLJ ($20.97), & R1 ($14.75).

http://www.mpdaa.org.au/customers/mpdaa/mpdaa.nsf/Login?OpenForm
http://www.mpdaa.org.au/customers/mpdaa/mpdaa.nsf/HistoricalBoxOffice?ReadForm
https://mumbrella.com.au/rogue-one-...est-weekend-box-office-opening-weekend-416635

Memorial Day wasn’t a factor internationally, but it may have well somewhat affected the U.S. box office, or did it? Other popular franchises, such as X-Men, POTC, and Indiana Jones have done well on Memorial Day weekend. A Star Wars film should be among those. Do we really want to concede that The Hangover Part II made more in 2011 dollars than Solo did in 2018?
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/md.htm?page=MEMOPEN&sort=rank&order=ASC&p=.htm

Could Solo’s problems be primarily a result of bad marketing and lack of interest? By lack of interest, I’m not saying as a result of oversaturation. Perhaps they should’ve cast Mark Wahlberg as Han and Dwayne Johnson as Lando?

Wendy Pleakley

There's a lot of blaming Kathleen Kennedy in the wake of Solo. This seems awfully speculative, as none of us really know to what degree the larger Disney corporation is influencing Star Wars.

J.J. Abrams said he had to pitch his Episode 9 script to Bob Iger, so the buck doesn't necessarily stop with her.

Just look at Rogue One. It started as a very different movie than a traditional Star Wars film, a grittier war film with less spectacle than the other films. Who dictated that the final act be reworked to include a big classic Star Wars space battle? If I had to guess, it was someone above Kennedy.

Then there's theories that there's a Star Wars boycott. I don't buy it. Boycotts are typically a lot of talk and minimal impact. As a pretty forgiving Star Wars fan who isn't seething with anger over the prequels and The Last Jedi, I wasn't interested in Solo. The marketing didn't click, and it was released in the wake of some very heavy and crowd pleasing competition.

Solo seems to be pretty well received by those who have seen it. Are people really so strategic as to pass on a movie they'd enjoy, thinking it will send a message to Disney that they were displeased by other film(s)? Does anyone think this would work?

As I said before, for everyone who disliked The Last Jedi there's someone who enjoyed it. I think just about every fan loves the original two films, but reaction to everything since has always been mixed. If George Lucas couldn't please everyone, why do people think there's some mystical figure who could replace Kennedy and deliver Star Wars movies that everyone loves?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Then there's theories that there's a Star Wars boycott. I don't buy it. Boycotts are typically a lot of talk and minimal impact.

From what I gather this isn't a "boycott" in the traditional sense. This movement isn't necessarily saying they won't see "Solo". They are saying they won't spend money in the theater to see it. They're content waiting for it to come to Redbox, Netflix etc..

That being said...this "boycott" or whatever you want to call it....has had more than minimal impact. The consensus is Solo is a flop because it under-performed at the box office.

As I said before, for everyone who disliked The Last Jedi there's someone who enjoyed it.

That has to be put into context.

If TLJ was being evaluated on it's own merit - taking away the history of the 8 movies that preceded it, and the expectations that are placed on a Star Wars movie.......it's an okay movie. Not great, not terrible. Good special effects, a little overdone on the social justice front for my tastes.

But the fact it was preceded by the history of 8 films, had well established and developed characters, and IS a Star Wars movie....I hated it.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
There's a lot of blaming Kathleen Kennedy in the wake of Solo. This seems awfully speculative, as none of us really know to what degree the larger Disney corporation is influencing Star Wars.

J.J. Abrams said he had to pitch his Episode 9 script to Bob Iger, so the buck doesn't necessarily stop with her.

Just look at Rogue One. It started as a very different movie than a traditional Star Wars film, a grittier war film with less spectacle than the other films. Who dictated that the final act be reworked to include a big classic Star Wars space battle? If I had to guess, it was someone above Kennedy.

Then there's theories that there's a Star Wars boycott. I don't buy it. Boycotts are typically a lot of talk and minimal impact. As a pretty forgiving Star Wars fan who isn't seething with anger over the prequels and The Last Jedi, I wasn't interested in Solo. The marketing didn't click, and it was released in the wake of some very heavy and crowd pleasing competition.

Solo seems to be pretty well received by those who have seen it. Are people really so strategic as to pass on a movie they'd enjoy, thinking it will send a message to Disney that they were displeased by other film(s)? Does anyone think this would work?

As I said before, for everyone who disliked The Last Jedi there's someone who enjoyed it. I think just about every fan loves the original two films, but reaction to everything since has always been mixed. If George Lucas couldn't please everyone, why do people think there's some mystical figure who could replace Kennedy and deliver Star Wars movies that everyone loves?
I can say this, which somewhat contributes to what your post hypothesizes. I am going to see Solo tonight. I am looking forward to it. I can look past a few remarks that may have a political or social undertone. I have been a fan of Star Wars since I was a child and I will support it.

However, I dont think it helps the franchise when people such as Kennedy and Kasden make comments (or tweets) that actually cause division among their audience. If they want to add a scene or a few lines of dialogue into the movie that reflect their personal political or social opinions, thats fine. But to take it outside of the movie and double down with comments on social media and in interviews knowing that it could possibly inflict damage to not only the bottom line but the franchise they claim to care so much about, it makes me raise an eyebrow. By no means would I boycott Star Wars anymore than I would boycott my favorite sports teams if the coach is doing a horrible job. But when a coach does not get his act together, the owners will replace him. The studios care about money at the end of the day. The fans care about Star Wars, not the writer or producers personal opinions of the world.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

I am not attempting to use any type of strategery. I just really didn’t like TLJ. And that distaste has lingered. So like many, I’m just not going to shell out any more dough for a Star Wars film right now.

Tony the Tigger

Excellent post.

For everyone who disliked TLJ there are *four* people who enjoyed it. Except for the outlier RT user score all other user scores and polls show a 80% like.

Excellent point.

There a things you can pick on in every movie.

Most movies are awful these days. We are only motivated to go to the movies maybe once every month or two (and we really want to go!)

So many of them have stupid endings. So many are boring. Couldn’t sit through the second Pirates movie or Captain America. No interest in Transformers.

Seriously missing the Harry Potter series (FB was “meh.”) Enjoying the Jurassic reboot.

That said, people like what they like, and good for them.

I think people are upset at what happened to Luke. Good! You’re supposed to be! But that doesn’t mean the movie is bad. It affected you. It did it’s job. You don’t get to dictate the storyline.

First of all, we don’t know that Luke is actually dead - although Leia’s reaction in the moment seems to indicate he is, or at least is presenting himself as such.

Second, if he is, maybe he holograms back a little more than Yoda did, and is still part of the story and has a shot at redemption. Heck, there can be a revelation that he got it all wrong somehow. Anything can happen, it’s a movie. Once you’ve bought the premise, it’s pretty open ended.

I enjoy a good dissection of things from a “mainstream” perspective, but I do not enjoy the superfans. (And I’m an original from the 70’s.) They’ve gone overboard.

Prequels were blah. New ones are good. Nothing is as good as 4,5,6. Nothing in any genre.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom