Backlash against Kathleen Kennedy and Star Wars in general

ppete1975

My personal opinion of the character...A whiny little punk with incredible power that will on occasion pull his head out of his own backside and be awesome.

I did not really want him to be that, but when the chips are really down, he can be counted on to crawl into his shell.
But that wasn't Luke in the original movies. HE was always.. I don't care about finishing my training/chance of dying/ fear I have to save my friends/father/galaxy. I didn't like 8 at all. I felt rian just wanted to tease the fans then go the other direction just because he could. I'm fine with snoke dying, but at least show how powerful he was (it does to a point but kills him too easily). Case in point it showed us the X-wing... then did nothing with it.... why not at the heat of the battle rebels dying, the space cannon about to blow open the doors.. then pew pew an xwing comes in and blows up an ATAT (I know its something else now .... just forgot the new gorilla walker name), then it shows its luke in the xwing... pew pew xwing is shot and crashes.. luke dusts himself off and walks over to the front of the walkers... they try to shoot him... but he throws up a force bubble. HE then fights kylo... and kylo kills him. Or he sacrifices himself.. whatever... we didn't need a twist, just good action. And id been ok with snoke kicking reys and showing off his skills then kylo helps her they fight snoke together and kill him (we see snoke and his lightsaber). Same ending luke and snoke are dead.. but you get more fun.
As far as 7 it did what it should... made people forget the prequels, brought back nostalgia and gave han a great story and end (honestly ford was the best part of the movie) yet introduced new heros.. and villians (even though they pooped all over the main baddy in 8).. 7 made you excited for 8 and STAR wars... 8 left me thinking I didn't care anymore.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought this forum was about the Disneyworld parks??

Breaking news:

The walt disney company (NYSE: DIS) owns both 3 park complexes AND Lucasfilm limited...the company that has produced and filmed Star Wars since it’s creation in 1977/78...

They also own Mickey Mouse.

Details at 11

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That didn't really bother me, mainly because I got so into the story that I didn't try to compare the solos. After watching the movie I compare it to a book. After New Hope came out several books came out about the heros. When I read a book I don't really visualize the people I just visualize a character (hard to explain) and enjoy learning more about them so even though it didn't look like him or act like him.. I didn't care. The story was good enough that I just enjoyed the ride. I recommend every star wars fan to see it.
I would not say that it bothered me, buy it is one of those "splinter in the mind" things that just feels wrong.

IMHO, when an actor is reprising a role in a prequal film, he/she not only has to remain faithful to the character, but he/she also has to remain faithful to the actor who previously played the character before. If they don't it just feels off.

For example, when Ewan McGregor played Obi-Wan he not only researched the character, he researched Alec Guinness by watching his older work, interviews, etc. That way he could pick up on the mannerisms and details that he brought to every role he played.

The video below shows some of the similarities. They are all subtle,but it makes it feel wrong when they are missing.

Robbiem

I thought Rogue one was actually a really good movie i enjoyed it more than i thought i would and it flet like ‘propper star wars’ to me.

of the other disney movies - force awakens was great first time round but on repeat it a bit greatest hits, the last Jedi is a mess storywise and they way they treated luke really upset me (i didnt realise until afterwards how much the character meant to me growing uo the 70s/80s. Solo is ok as a stand-alone but as part of the star wars universe it falls short for me - the returning characters were all a bit off, the Lando/droids thing was silly and the cameo from the guest villain was just a repeat of vader in rogue one.

id love for star wars to return to form but for me i think the world has moved on and i’ve moved on from my childhood fandom to casual observer- i can see the day coming where i wouldnt go to the cinema to see a star wars movie and that is something i dint think i ever thiught id say

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But that wasn't Luke in the original movies. HE was always.. I don't care about finishing my training/chance of dying/ fear I have to save my friends/father/galaxy. I didn't like 8 at all. I felt rian just wanted to tease the fans then go the other direction just because he could. I'm fine with snoke dying, but at least show how powerful he was (it does to a point but kills him too easily). Case in point it showed us the X-wing... then did nothing with it.... why not at the heat of the battle rebels dying, the space cannon about to blow open the doors.. then pew pew an xwing comes in and blows up an ATAT (I know its something else now .... just forgot the new gorilla walker name), then it shows its luke in the xwing... pew pew xwing is shot and crashes.. luke dusts himself off and walks over to the front of the walkers... they try to shoot him... but he throws up a force bubble. HE then fights kylo... and kylo kills him. Or he sacrifices himself.. whatever... we didn't need a twist, just good action. And id been ok with snoke kicking reys *** and showing off his skills then kylo helps her they fight snoke together and kill him (we see snoke and his lightsaber). Same ending luke and snoke are dead.. but you get more fun.
As far as 7 it did what it should... made people forget the prequels, brought back nostalgia and gave han a great story and end (honestly ford was the best part of the movie) yet introduced new heros.. and villians (even though they pooped all over the main baddy in 8).. 7 made you excited for 8 and STAR wars... 8 left me thinking I didn't care anymore.
One thing most people missed in TLJ is that right after you see his sunken X-Wing, Luke opens a door made of one of its wings. That little detail reinforced his intention of deliberately stranding himself on Ahch-To. Someone would quite literally have to come pick him up for him to physically leave.

star-wars-the-last-jedi-luke-skywalker-x-wing-door-1068848.jpeg

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
TFA was a reboot. That being said…not a bad way to reintroduce the franchise. Rogue One - not a bad standalone.

TLJ and SOLO are completely forced. TLJ had the opportunity to build on what TFA started – instead:

It took a character like Finn – who had potential. Stormtrooper-to-Jedi type potential (which I thought was brilliant)– and turned him into a bumbling, former stormtrooper janitor who needs an authoritative female character in order to find his moral compass. His intro in TLJ with the ridiculous body suit leaking fluid didn’t help matters.

Laura Dern’s character was forced. What purpose did she serve, other than another authoritative female character who was there to send Poe to his room. She contributed absolutely nothing.

Rose Tico – Forced. Her only purpose was to rail against capitalism and deliver her message about animal cruelty. She contributed absolutely nothing. Wait, I take that back. She saved Finn from himself.

Poe – had the ability to be the wisecracking, rebel, maverick type character not seen since the original Solo. They’ve completely wasted this character, making him a hothead that can’t make competent decisions without – you guessed it – the pink haired Laura Dern.

Del Toro’s ability was wasted with the forced Cantobite scene that again contributed absolutely nothing.

Phasma could have been something. How much merchandising do you think Disney lost because of that misguided decision by Kennedy and Johnson?

Lando is the “Ladies Man” of the Galaxy. Remember him meeting Leia the first time? So as younger version he is now pansexual?

I have no problem with the introduction of new characters. I could care less if they are male, female, white, black, red, LBGTQ, midgets, or anything else……as long as the characters have a defined arc and are developed to maintain continuity.

The last 2 movies they have taken well established characters and “changed” them to fit this new “social injustice” agenda….and guess what – now there is backlash.

Why not make Mickey Mouse gay? How about Goofy being a pansexual? Let’s change Jack Sparrow’s mission to be about animal rights and social inequality…..because this is what they have done to Star Wars.

WDW Zandt

I'm a Star Wars fan to the point where some people consider it to be a problem, and I've been thinking about this all day. I don't agree with Kathleen Kennedy being in charge and a lot of stuff she herself has come out and said. I'm okay with the movies and the direction they went in. I am, however, hit or miss with the agenda(?) they've incorporated into the mix. I don't think any of the backlash from recent movies is going to affect how Galaxy's Edge performs at the park. I feel like the lore is strong enough that even with a few box office 'bombs' people are still interested in Star Wars stories and it's okay if people don't want to go out to see a Han Solo movie, or they don't want to continue the main storyline..because there's enough supplemental material or other stories to tell. Hollywood Studios used to be my favorite park as a kid when it was still MGM...but then it's become this disjointed mess of ideas. Even if I wasn't a big Star Wars fan I'd be excited for Galaxy's Edge to open because it's another form of Escapism which is what I see the Theme Parks as. I may not agree with every decision the movies made but I'm not going to let it destroy how I feel about the material.

One thing I will say in relation to Phasma...she had a great introduction in the Aftermath book series...and then whoever approved the Phasma stand-alone novel is someone I'd rather see gone before Kennedy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Breaking news:

The walt disney company (NYSE: DIS) owns both 3 park complexes AND Lucasfilm limited...the company that has produced and filmed Star Wars since it’s creation in 1977/78...

Details at 11

We also have a MOVIES sub-forum...

The comment wasn't about the Site - but a thread about the movies being in the PARK forum.

jakeman

Breaking news:

Details at 11
Looks at the sub-forum title:

1527617493572.png

Huh...that's weird.

I guess it's time for you to queue up one of your mush mouth platitudes that makes no sense.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The agendas are pretty forced and out of place in some of these films. The 'make women strong' agenda is blatent and overflowing in the films recent.

The problem isn't the message, the problem is the OVERFLOW.

The very idea we have the create new terms to describe these behavior/thoughts should be a sign that something is wrong. We had terms before... but people just keep creating NEW terms to try to avoid prejudices the old terms convey.

Why on earth does Lando's interaction with the droid have to be sexual in any nature?? The guy can't just look to a droid to be his safe harbor and confidant?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Many Star Wars fans have not been happy with the direction of the last two films, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Leading up to the opening of Solo, I have seen an onslaught of online articles and videos from critics of not only Star Wars but more so of Kathleen Kennedy. Most sight her strict control over the production but also her liberal/feminsim "agenda" seeping into the stories.

Let me state that I enjoyed TFA and TLJ and I have no issue whatsoever with a female (Rey) playing the lead. I think Daisy Ridley has done a terrific job so far. Do I think both movies could have been better? Sure, but you could say that about almost any film. You can definitely sense the feminist aspects of both films but it has not seemed too overwhelming (IMO). Same for Rogue One (which I enjoyed very much). But with Solo and the announcement of one of the characters being "pansexual" (I wont spoil which one, but most people know by now), it seems Kennedy is being targeted even more. Perhaps because she is in control of the Star Wars Universe and the stories.

I personally do not feel that a characters sexual orientation has anything whatsoever to add the story, especially considering the definition of pansexual. I have not seen Solo yet, but for Lawrence Kasdan to announce this (before the movie premiered) feels forced upon us for no reason other than to promote some agenda. Regardless of "the world we live in", I just want to enjoy seeing a Star Wars film and savor the imaginary world and stories I have grown up with and not be reminded of political and social issues of Earth.

I look forward to seeing Solo and will not be joining the #Boycot Starwars movement as I feel it is just as silly as the announcement of a pansexual character. How do you feel about the Star Wars series and the direction it is heading? How do yo feel Kennedy is doing at the helm? Thanks for reading and lets keep the discussion mature.
Blah, blah, blah. It's just a movie franchise, it's not the cure for cancer, and it won't lead to world peace.

And it doesn't change the fact that I'm still over 3 months away from my next trip to WDW.

Wendy Pleakley

I personally do not feel that a characters sexual orientation has anything whatsoever to add the story, especially considering the definition of pansexual. I have not seen Solo yet, but for Lawrence Kasdan to announce this (before the movie premiered) feels forced upon us for no reason other than to promote some agenda. Regardless of "the world we live in", I just want to enjoy seeing a Star Wars film and savor the imaginary world and stories I have grown up with and not be reminded of political and social issues of Earth.

This is such nonsense.

Characters in movies shouldn't have sexual orientations? Such differences among characters isn't an "agenda", it's just reality.

Glad you never had a problem with all of the heterosexual characters in Star Wars adding their heterosexual activities to the films.

ppete1975

One thing most people missed in TLJ is that right after you see his sunken X-Wing, Luke opens a door made of one of its wings. That little detail reinforced his intention of deliberately stranding himself on Ahch-To. Someone would quite literally have to come pick him up for him to physically leave.

star-wars-the-last-jedi-luke-skywalker-x-wing-door-1068848.jpeg
wow I never would have known.. and looking at it... I still wouldn't recognize it... they should have made it more apparent that is what it was. Thanks for the info though.. not often I learn new star wars stuff :)

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
My biggest problems with TLJ:

-Luke Skywalker was a old man with his tail between his legs.
-The subplot was atrocious and political by nature. "now it's worth it" - as the resistance is suffering heavy casualties
-Snope is a nobody.
-Rey's parents are a nobody.
-Phasma is a nobody. I mean she was a nobody in TFA and I could've forgiven that had they gave her more attention in TLJ.
-The film makes us think Rey will join Kylo, and based on their chemistry together I thought it would've been an amazing twist - but NOOOOPE
-Superman Leia can float through space
-The purple-haired jihad ending is a thing?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom