Back When It Was MGM

OnyxNine

Nope. Disney owns Gargoyles; Marvel merely had the license to publish them. That's why the Muppets are allowed, even though Marvel made some Muppet comics back in the day. Same thing with Star Wars. Goliath from Gargoyles made a few appearances at WDW before; I've seen one picture floating around online, anyway.
I hope Disney remembers them :)

mergatroid

I actually think that was a low point of Madonna's career. Her film career was always rocky and questionable at best. Her being in "D___Tracy" was a publicity stunt by Disney and certainly not one of Madonna's proudest moments.

Oh yes, Madonnas film career has been vry hit and miss to say the least. As far as her fame though in general, I think she was still very highly rated publicity wise. I was a big fan of hers at that time and her world tour at the time (think it was Blonde Ambition Tour?) even featured a Dick Tracy dressed dancer and I believe the song 'Hanky Panky' was based on the music style from the movie. And yes you're quite right, it wasn't one of her proudest moments though but maybe not as bad as Shanghai Surprise :)

stevehousse

They were banking on the film being a huge success (dick Tracy) and even were going to put a Tracy ride in DHS. Once the film flopped, they cut the ride.

ParkMan73

Indy is awesome, that's why. People still reference those films (the good ones, anyway). Heck, the Temple of Doom Valentine's card made it's way all over the 'net the other day.

So true! It's one of those movies that transcended the era.

Raiders, much like Star Wars, so excited many of us as kids that it became more than just a movie. I so wanted to be Indy as a kid. When I had kids - it was one of the first movies they watched (along with Star Wars). They got the excitement through me. There were others sorta like Raiders and Star Wars - Ghostbusters comes to mind, but they didn't rise to the same level of inspiration and excitement these did.

Matt_Black

So true! It's one of those movies that transcended the era.

Raiders, much like Star Wars, so excited many of us as kids that it became more than just a movie. I so wanted to be Indy as a kid. When I had kids - it was one of the first movies they watched (along with Star Wars). They got the excitement through me. There were others sorta like Raiders and Star Wars - Ghostbusters comes to mind, but they didn't rise to the same level of inspiration and excitement these did.

Both Chariots of Fire and Raiders were nominated for Best Picture; Chariots won, but nobody talks about that film today. It certainly doesn't get referenced in pop culture nearly as often. Maybe the music, but that's it.

Mrs.Toad

I'm still trying to figure out how they thought this was going to be a Mega hit..
07.jpg

The funny thing is that I was a kid when it came out. The wacky, cartoony face make-up/prosthetics did a bunch of us kids in. Me and a few others I remember didn't like the characters or how they looked. Maybe the dark, gritty tone at times. Just not appealing, I guess, as they were meant to be as the "bad guys." But me and some older cousins loved 80's Madonna so it was cool she was in the movie.

ParkMan73

Both Chariots of Fire and Raiders were nominated for Best Picture; Chariots won, but nobody talks about that film today. It certainly doesn't get referenced in pop culture nearly as often. Maybe the music, but that's it.

Interesting observation. Guess it goes to show that it's not always the Academy award winning movies that have the biggest impact on us.

I'm also reminded of how few movies have the impact on us that Star Wars and Raiders have. Perhaps also Harry Potter. It might be that they're movies that inspired our imagination as kids.

ParkMan73

The funny thing is that I was a kid when it came out. The wacky, cartoony face make-up/prosthetics did a bunch of us kids in. Me and a few others I remember didn't like the characters or how they looked. Maybe the dark, gritty tone at times. Just not appealing, I guess, as they were meant to be as the "bad guys." But me and some older cousins loved 80's Madonna so it was cool she was in the movie.

I remember seeing it. I wanted to like it - but on some level, I think it was too dark for me too.

Matt_Black

Interesting observation. Guess it goes to show that it's not always the Academy award winning movies that have the biggest impact on us.

Quite right. Star Wars lost to Annie Hall, Saving Private Ryan Lost to Shakespeare in Love, Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption lost to Forrest Gump, etc.

Matt_Black

Great examples. I don't even remember Annie Hall.

Would be interesting if there was an award that captured - "most likely to be relevant in 25 years."

In fact, the Best Picture is often the film equivalent of the Grammys' Best New Artist. Citizen Kane is another film that didn't win Best Picture.

Ember

It's so sad to see that state of MGM now. It used to be my favorite park when I was little. It made me feel like a movie star and I got the chills every time I walked into the park. It really felt like there was star magic all around you and that you were a part of it. I loved the old backlot tour and getting a look behind the scenes. We used to spend the entire day there and were sad when the day ended. Now when we have to squeeze in a half day park we go with DHS because there's really nothing to do there and it's honestly become my least favorite park :( I mean I still love Star Wars, ToT, and RnR, but that's really all that's left for me. It makes me really sad.

mm52200

Yeah. I wish that hadn't stopped. I think they even had two ladies dress and act like Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons. I remember seeing pictures in an ad for MGM. One had the super large hat and a notebook and pencil. LOL!
They haven't stopped them, I don't know why everyone in this thread keeps saying that. The Citizens of Hollywood are out in full force, they're the only reason my family still goes to DHS. They appear everyday at 10:30, 11:30, 1, 2, and 3 throughout Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard. They really are the strongest part of that park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom