Back When It Was MGM

MikeTaylorSound

This was back in '97. Nice site line to the Great Movie ride.
MGM_0525.jpg

MKforReal

Original Poster
Well I still plan on doing the class regardless of where it is. That is, if they don't decide to discontinue it before I go. Which with my luck, they probably will. Lol.

stevehousse

Remembering the "good old days" of DHS has been great! I also think its a little sad to see how that park has transformed just so far from what it used to be.

What I miss most is getting to meet actual famous people that would be there when it was a real studio, and Michael Eisner walking the parks on a regular basis. I got to meet him and go on a private tour of the park by him and some other "important" people back when I was 7. So exciting!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
My childhood memory was the Golden Girls house and Tool Time at the backlot tour!
The only thing from Home Improvement/Tool Time that I remember were the carved wooden figures they used for a "Claymation" episode they did once.

John

The only thing left of the original concept in the park is maybe the architecture. Stars walking the streets? Hardly what was there in the past. The movie star parade was wonderful. It doesn't even compare to once was. if MGM/DHs isn't an example of the "death by a thousand cuts".....I don't know what is.

I remember all the talk about the spot lights being turned off. Walking in to MGM was like walking in to a production. It had a genuine Hollywood feel to it. Now it is a amusement park with a Hollywood overlay.
Gone is the Hollywood charm. There are probably more attractions now then there was before but when you went to MGM is was never considered a "half day park" It was more of an experience. Who can remember the CM's at TOT and the schtick they used to put on. All of them were always in character. I big part of the attraction were the Cms. Same thing goes for the GRMR. It goes on and on. DHS is a microcosm of WDW.

Disney feels that Avatar will rescue AK from the same fate and it just might. In the mean time DHS is screaming for help. Don't get me wrong I would totally love to see a huge Star Wars presence at DHS. But what I would rather see is some of the Hollywood charm restored to the park. Even with the addition there will always be something missing for me at the park.

Cmdr_Crimson

The idea of the "Hollywood than Never was and Always Will Be" changed after the park became DHS. Whenever I heard on the Backlot Tour or other attractions that mention that were filming a big Hollywood Production Now....I just laugh because they seized filming anything since it discontinued in the late 90's early 00's..

The Backlot tour isn't even an attraction to go on anymore..What are we seeing on the backlot of now? Just corporate offices with views of their cars in the parking lot, a few fake props, all the outfits being made for other parks, scenery or props for other parks, Pass by Lights, Boring, Action, Cars from movies some couldn't even remember "Oooh look the car from The Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag!", Walt's Plane (Which I think they should at least do something better with than put it in such an odd area), Catastrophy Canyon, See more of Fake Action Movie: The Movie (LMA), and see More props from movies that you might have seen in your tv listings on saturday afternoon...

The idea of this is horrendous and if they ever gut out LMA and take time to rethink that area for expansion..I do hope that they could also get a better area for closeups of the Earful Tower...The satellite imagery shows that it's not too pretty below the tower and I wish they could at least incorporate it to be used in an expansion.

Matt_Black

Dude, you get to see an A-Wing from Star Wars and the spaceship from Flight of the Navigator; what more could you possibly want?!?

stevehousse

Dude, you get to see an A-Wing from Star Wars and the spaceship from Flight of the Navigator; what more could you possibly want?!?
And as awesome as getting to see those are, u really have had to go on the old ride to appreciate what it used to be. Not sure if u ever went on the old ride, but it was a 2 hour tour before! Seriously almost 2 hours! It's now what, 20 minutes...so much had changed for that ride it's sad...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom