Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

mickEblu

At PYMs​

Disney unveils new $100 sandwich and people are confused: ‘I can literally make this at home’​

They re confused that something that feeds 8 people costs $100 at a Disney park? I figured it was priced that way because of the size not because it was stuffed with truffles

Sharon&Susan

It’s part of the land with no access without accessing the area. The seating area by the theater is part of the area as well now. They cut it off at the beginning of the Hyperion theater. Can’t go there without accessing Avengers Campus.
Now this is considered part of Avenger's Campus, I wish they would've reworked the giant beige wall on the way to MB that's barely themed with a Disney Studios billboard as is.
1623126047892.png

_caleb

Ahh okay. So we're effectively running through a damaged utilidor that the fortress buried itself into and will likely need to be totally replaced when the Collector decides to warp on outta there. As someone who asks too many questions, I could buy into that. -and upon closer inspection of what little practical sets the ride features, it does look like we're made to infer that the utilidor is damaged because your vehicle is actually entering the a piece of the fortress itself at that time, which has, I guess buried itself underground.

That said, my issues with the illusions of warehouse/fortress depth being broken still bothers me. It depends where you sit, I think, though. In this example, the illusion shatters:

View attachment 562395

1) We travel through the utilidors and into the side of the fortress, as you have explained to me. I'm buying it and it makes sense. The door opens and we're treated to a view of a vast interior, as we come to expect from inside the fortress itself. However, this segment ends and then..

View attachment 562396

2) We 'round the corner. This particular vehicles view at this moment shows the transition point between the fortress (in red) and the quinjet launch platform (in blue). At this point, we as Guests see how little space exists between these two scenes and suddenly, the former scene makes much less sense. As a bonus..
This is what I was referring to with this post:
I'm curious why they decided to put some of the screens back-to-back on the same wall. This means the ride vehicle leaves one screen, whips around the corner (facing the same wall) to stop in front of another screen (which is now the back of the 1st screen). Seems to work against the idea that we're in tunnels and the doors open to reveal real rooms off the main corridor.
Unless these garage doors are from Monsters Inc…

CaptinEO

Friend of mine went this weekend for Avengers Campus opening. They made reservations over a month ago. They had no idea about the required virtual queues and were not able to get in to see the land.

I feel so bad for people blind-sighted by Disney not mentioning virtual queues up front when they first announced Avenger's opening date.

They also told me it took an hour to get a Mickey pretzel via mobile order...

Last edited:

el_super

Disney unveils new $100 sandwich and people are confused: ‘I can literally make this at home'​

Fun fact: you can make most things from Disneyland, at home.

Absolutely, the value is fairly solid. However, I think it was also meant to be a showpiece for Pyms and in that category I don't believe it's as interesting, or dare I say instagrammable, as they'd hoped.

I thought Instagram was the point of the little bar next door?

Well that, and the fact that everything has to have a bar now.

Stevek

I do wish I would have known that Disney was going to close off the land and make you wait in line to enter, especially with GOTG now being unavailable if you are not actually in the campus. This new area was the main reason we booked post campus opening and purchased park hoppers...well before they made this process known.

truecoat

At PYMs​

Disney unveils new $100 sandwich and people are confused: ‘I can literally make this at home’​

Fun fact: you can make most things from Disneyland, at home.

TikTok and vlog stars figure out what a kitchen is actually for.

Poseidon Quest

I understand where you are coming from with this statement, really I do. Even I laughed at myself for a bit. But in fairness, the tech and storytelling techniques of Jungle Cruise opened over 60 years ago. Spider-Man was due to open in 2020. I don't feel the comparison is a fair one, especially since Jungle Cruise was built and opened before any of us had any sort of concept of what a theme park could even be, much less what to expect from the stories and details they are capable of conveying.

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I think I know the best way to articulate the difference between attractions like Jungle Cruise/Soarin' and WEB Slingers.

I would say that the transition between the rivers in Jungle Cruise and the scenes of Soarin' are artistic renditions. Clearly there's no way to make these transitions realistically, but the attractions ask the guests to suspend disbelief in favor of the experience and the merit of the scenes. I would compare this in the same way that you would watch a stage play versus a film. You suspend disbelief for the play because you can't realistically expect a convincing recreation of scenarios, events and locations, but obviously that's different with film. WEB Slingers is concerned with immersing you into the larger land of Avenger's Campus and so the transitions break that immersion because of how poorly they're pulled off. If the transitions between scenes of the Jungle Cruise/Soarin' are held to the standard of a stage play, then WEB Slingers must be held to the standard of a film. In this case, a film with cartoony CGI and poor transitions between scenes.

Poseidon Quest

But Soarin is an actual film, and unlike a stage play, there is no greater story to convey.

Some level of disbelief is required for any Disneyland attraction.

I'm not sure that I get your point? Do you expect Soarin' to take the time to fly from the Alps to the Canadian arctic?

Disbelief absolutely is a fundamental part of any entertainment experience, but considering how well the transitions are handled in the attractions of Galaxy's Edge (especially in how you board the Millennium Falcon), and how far Flight of Passage goes out of its way to sell the idea of linking with an avatar, we clearly know that Disney just didn't even try with WEB Slingers. They quite literally built a LegoLand attraction and slapped an IP on it for merch sales.

el_super

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be, but I think it bears repeating:

I don't how much clearer I can be: you're being needlessly critical if you are basically suggesting that Soarin and Jungle Cruise should be held to a lower standard "just because" while the WEB Slinger should be admonished for not including something that most attractions leave out.

And what is so wrong with the Ninjago ride? I think it's pretty good.

J4546

as long as they keep this land staffed with actors/avengers, its a win to me. I think in a couple month when the new land buzz has died down and people can walk through without the lines and such, it will obviously be much better. I think Webslingers is a good ride, but not worth an hour+ wait, I feel like by the end of the year Webslingers will be more like Little Mermaid in terms of wait times as well. All in all I like the new land and I think it will be even better when the rush dies down

DanielBB8

Disney attractions is always held to a higher standard that is often made up on the spot. WEB Slingers is already a high quality ride. Just compare how much better it is to Ninjago. Yet, of course, it should have been an entirely different E-Ticket ride. That's a different argument. I'm not even sure the Quinjet ride breaks any new ground. It'll be criticized as Soarin' 2 and an Avatar clone. It might even be a little worse than those 2 attractions.

Professortango1

But Soarin is an actual film, and unlike a stage play, there is no greater story to convey.

Some level of disbelief is required for any Disneyland attraction.
Yes, but Soarin' is presented as a film, not a real experience (one of the reasons I don't like it.) You walk in to see a giant screen showing screensaver blue. Its clear you are in a movie theater and they don't try and convince you otherwise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom