Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Poseidon Quest

Yeah but within context of the post, the other poster was suggesting that instead of evaluating Soarin as a film, it be treated more as a stage play ... where you can excuse some of the failings (like the poor transitions). It was a a flimsy attempt to setup a double standard. And of course films cut out scenes and transitions down to the bare minimum... that's why the whole profession of film editing exists.

I'm unsure of why you've decided to misrepresent my arguments, unless you're truly incapable of understanding them.

If you want to hold an abstract and artistic rendition of experiencing flight to the same standard as an immersive experience meant to put you into the middle of an IP, then you truly don't get it.

I don't how much clearer I can be: you're being needlessly critical if you are basically suggesting that Soarin and Jungle Cruise should be held to a lower standard "just because" while the WEB Slinger should be admonished for not including something that most attractions leave out.

And what is so wrong with the Ninjago ride? I think it's pretty good.

If you want to settle for mediocrity in Disney parks, then I suppose enjoy. Why pay Disney prices when you could go to LegoLand for the same experience?

waltography

After watching a ride through, I'm not sure how it is possible to defend this ride. The only really interesting thing is the motion tech, but that isn't new or innovative since Xbox Kinnect did it in your living room ten years ago.
Not defending the ride, but I am defending the tech. It's absolutely new; the tech powering the Kinect is not the same tech powering this ride, and to reduce it to that undercuts the milestones in computer vision and ML on display.

A better argument is that tech alone doesn't determine the quality or experience of the ride.

CaptinEO

This just sounds wild to me. I've been in the parks today and yesterday, and have had no problem whatsoever getting a morning boarding group and then entering and enjoying the land at a slow fun pace.
They were there on the weekend , that might be why. They also didnt know about the morning boarding groups or that boarding groups existed.

el_super

If you want to settle for mediocrity in Disney parks, then I suppose enjoy. Why pay Disney prices when you could go to LegoLand for the same experience?

LOL I know... silly me for going to Disney parks to have fun with the family instead of as a serious exploration of themed entertainment art design.

el_super

Suspension of disbelief is not an active active action. It is not something you do. It is a reaction. Everything is great if you just pretend it is great and ignore its problems.

Yeah this is true, but leads me to wonder why some are more willing to pretend some things are great and others are not. A lot of things that have been around for awhile get a pass just because they were always that way.

If you really need to see how the passage of time warps opinions, check out the Rocket Rods thread.

Professortango1

But you can't go to LegoLand and get the same experience.... That's like saying Knotts and Castle Park offer the same experience.

And the passing between corridors isn't why WEB Slingers is mediocre. Its not like if they made the walls chunkier suddenly people would be like "Most amazing attraction of all time!" The ride is mediocre because it doesn't feel like a Spiderman experience, it doesn't enough gameplay variety, the films play out the same regardless of participation or input, and a lack of practical elements.

Sharon&Susan

Yeah this is true, but leads me to wonder why some are more willing to pretend some things are great and others are not. A lot of things that have been around for awhile get a pass just because they were always that way.

If you really need to see how the passage of time warps opinions, check out the Rocket Rods thread.
Rocket Rods was badly received by the internet minority, but with multi-hour lines that proved the haters wrong. What a trailblazer, clearly the inspiration for Midway Mania and Web Slingers.

lazyboy97o

Different stories have different rules. That has always been true. The rules of the Wizarding World are not the same as Marvel Cinematic Universe or Star Wars or Back to the Future. Park attractions are a shared medium but not necessarily a shared story. The rules of the Jungle Cruise or Soarin’ are not the same as those of Avengers Campus. Even when similar rules are at play, presentation affects their reception. The Jungle Cruise jumps between places but it isn’t at visibly defined points whereas the walls between screens on WEB Slingers is right there, the entire transition and depth visible.

I don’t disagree that there is a growing element of hipsterism here, but that doesn’t negate the good faith arguments put forwards,

Poseidon Quest

LOL I know... silly me for going to Disney parks to have fun with the family instead of as a serious exploration of themed entertainment art design.

And yet that's the legacy of Disney parks. What has always set them apart is their artistic merit and dedication to quality. If you want Six Flags, then by all means, start planning that vacation.

But you can't go to LegoLand and get the same experience.... That's like saying Knotts and Castle Park offer the same experience.

And the passing between corridors isn't why WEB Slingers is mediocre. Its not like if they made the walls chunkier suddenly people would be like "Most amazing attraction of all time!" The ride is mediocre because it doesn't feel like a Spiderman experience, it doesn't enough gameplay variety, the films play out the same regardless of participation or input, and a lack of practical elements.

We weren't exploring the overall issues of the attraction, but the lack of effort put into hiding the transitions was just one aspect of the discussion.

In addition, you quite literally can go to LegoLand and get the same experience. The WEB Slingers technology is sourced from Triotech, a company that specializes in low budget, screen based dark rides. It's an adaptation of the ninja star throwing mechanic on this ride here, which has been open since 2016:

MarvelCharacterNerd

This just sounds wild to me. I've been in the parks today and yesterday, and have had no problem whatsoever getting a morning boarding group and then entering and enjoying the land at a slow fun pace.
Which I would expect to be the immediate norm for weekdays with weekends being a bit busier - especially once capacity is raised to whatever extent starting the 15th.

The extreme time was opening weekend. I don't expect it to be anything crazy like hours-long lines to get into the land again until they open the E-Ticket someday. At least I hope not - I just wanna go enjoy the characters and shows in the land again. :)

MarvelCharacterNerd

Did anyone else who's gone to Avengers Campus get the long survey from Disney the next day? I mean, it took me like 45 minutes to finish, but I was glad it was so thorough AND allowed space to add comments, not just give ratings!

waltography

Did anyone else who's gone to Avengers Campus get the long survey from Disney the next day? I mean, it took me like 45 minutes to finish, but I was glad it was so thorough AND allowed space to add comments, not just give ratings!
I got a survey but it was only perhaps 15 minutes long and was primarily focused on comparing their IPs with that of other parks.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I got a survey but it was only perhaps 15 minutes long and was primarily focused on comparing their IPs with that of other parks.
Fascinating. Mine was all about what I experienced in the land and at DCA in general (since I didn't get the chance to park hop over to DL that day), characters I saw (MANY!), shows I watched (MOST!), attractions I rode that day (NONE!), food I ate (an ice cream bar and a soda from a cart that didn't require mobile order!), awareness of/use of mobile order and virtual queue, and of course all of the health & safety enhancement questions, along with questions about my arrival and exit experience... I mean, this thing was THOROUGH!

PB Watermelon

It's a solid and fun D-ticket. They need to break ground on that E-ticket behind the jet as soon as is feasible to truly elevate the area. It's lacking a Rise of the Resistance wowzer. And speaking of, Galaxy's Edge could use a solid and fun D ticket and ditch the conceit the land is time-locked between The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker. Far too limiting in terms of properties and characters they can exploit (like the very popular Mandalorian). Avengers Campus doesn't have that problem.

No Name

The only really interesting thing is the motion tech, but that isn't new or innovative since Xbox Kinnect did it in your living room ten years ago.
Did your Xbox Kinect do that? Mine spent quite a bit of time trying to differentiate me from my couch. I don’t know quite how well the motion tech in this ride works but I know it’s leagues beyond the Kinect, which was admittedly fun but definitely a $150 product.

J4546

I agree about GE just being a more generic timeline and allowing characters from Mando and whatnot into the land.

Also, I just got tix for tomorrow! I wasnt expecting to go tomorrow but now im pumped! Ill give an honest review when i get back

yensidtlaw1969

Suspension of disbelief is not an active action. It is not something you do. It is a reaction. Everything is great if you just pretend it is great and ignore its problems.

Indeed.

The onus is not on the audience to suspend their own disbelief. The onus is on the creators to create an experience that flips that switch within the audience.

The audience is playing to subject themselves to a delightful act of coercion. It's an empirical artform. If the audience didn't have fun you can't tell them they should have chosen to enjoy it more. You have to provide them an experience that GETS them over the hump, not suggest they start climbing for themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom