Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

CaptinEO

The Ninjago ride at Legoland is similar to the new Spidey ride which it uses sensors too. I actually enjoyed that immensely than the typical shooting ride like Toy Story Mania, Buzz or Men in Black. If this is an improvement of Ninjago then it will be fun.
Awesome! That sounds very promising then!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Here is the ride POV. This is the closing thing I could compare it.

The two technologies are actually quite different.

Ninjago uses commercial-grade Leap Motion technology and you can buy it on Amazon for under $200.

It's limited to simple gestures and mostly tracks the speed and direction of your hand movement and shoots your virtual fireballs accordingly. Your aiming is limited and it's mostly about moving your hands back and forth as quickly as possible to kill the lego people.

On the other hand, Web Slingers is using Vision AI to track your entire upper body, arms, shoulders, head, and face movements with a camera using the latest Deep Learning vision technology. Something similar to this but far more sophisticated:

1621910617050.png

It can track your full upper body and react accordingly with much better precision and no need for sensors or controllers. Unlike Ninjago where you are just swiping your hands at 100mph hoping to hit something, you'll be able to point your arms in the direction you want to shoot and it will shoot that direction in a 3D space. It even looks like you can reach out and touch objects in the 3D space.

When I look at this portion of the Tom Holland video:

1621910822437.png

It seems as if he is using his hands (down to his individual fingers) to weave around a web.

Here are snippets from various articles I've found online:

"The attraction utilizes a brand new, innovative gesture detection technology, that can identify 60x movements a second. Allowing guests to be able to reach their hands out and sling webs from their wrists, just like Spider-Man."

"The imaginary magic comes from a new gesture recognition system two years in the making that can recognize the faces and hands of riders.

Strong says the all-ages, all-sizes attraction can play simple or sophisticated, and those who get a knack for the slinging can experience “layers and layers of game play” and uncover “a million Easter eggs.”"

"Disney will lean on some cutting-edge, Tony Stark-esque tech to make this happen, inventing a new interface for a gesture recognition system built into each slinger vehicle. This technology will determine where each visitor's head, shoulders, elbows and wrists are located for precise calculations, 60 times a second.

"We are able to track the motion of your body, so when you reach out, we can render a virtual web out of the palm of your hand from your virtual web shooters," says Strong. "It just feels like Spider-Man.""

I've sat here for months and kept quiet about this ride being a Ninjago clone. It is a bit of an insult to the hard work being done in the vision AI industry (which I work in) where I get to work with the latest tech from the likes of Intel and Nvidia and I think you will be far more surprised at the level of tech on this attraction in comparison to commercial-grade Ninjago.

If you want more details on how the ride plays out, how to gain points and work with your teammates, the Marvel article I posted above goes into that detail, but for those who don't have the time, here's another important snippet:

"Additionally, the “webs actually allow you to not just blast spider bots but interact with the environments. You can pull doors off of shipping containers. You can activate conveyor belts. You can grab onto things and move them around. The level of control that you have is amazing.” And for those players who are looking to unlock hidden things you might not find the first time, “There are so many fun things to discover along the way, layers, and layers, and layers of gameplay for our die-hard gamers, and layers, and layers, and layers of fun for comic fans, just really leaning into all of the details that this world has,” Strong hinted."

Can you pull doors off of containers or grab onto objects with your hands and move them around in Ninjago? No.

Disney Analyst

The two technologies are actually quite different.

Ninjago uses commercial-grade Leap Motion technology and you can buy it on Amazon for under $200.

It's limited to simple gestures and mostly tracks the speed and direction of your hand movement and shoots your virtual fireballs accordingly. Your aiming is limited and it's mostly about moving your hands back and forth as quickly as possible to kill the lego people.

On the other hand, Web Slingers is using Vision AI to track your entire upper body, arms, shoulders, head, and face movements with a camera using the latest Deep Learning vision technology. Something similar to this but far more sophisticated:

View attachment 559922

It can track your full upper body and react accordingly with much better precision and no need for sensors or controllers. Unlike Ninjago where you are just swiping your hands at 100mph hoping to hit something, you'll be able to point your arms in the direction you want to shoot and it will shoot that direction in a 3D space. It even looks like you can reach out and touch objects in the 3D space.

When I look at this portion of the Tom Holland video:

View attachment 559923

It seems as if he is using his hands (down to his individual fingers) to weave around a web.

Here are snippets from various articles I've found online:

I've sat here for months and kept quiet about this ride being a Ninjago clone. It is a bit of an insult to the hard work being done in the vision AI industry (which I work in) where I get to work with the latest tech from the likes of Intel and Nvidia and I think you will be far more surprised at the level of tech on this attraction in comparison to commercial-grade Ninjago.

If you want more details on how the ride plays out, how to gain points and work with your teammates, the Marvel article I posted above goes into that detail, but for those who don't have the time, here's another important snippet:

Can you pull doors off of containers or grab onto objects with your hands and move them around in Ninjago? No.

Wow. Haven’t read any of that stuff on the tech until now. That sounds very promising and exciting.

J4546

"Additionally, the “webs actually allow you to not just blast spider bots but interact with the environments. You can pull doors off of shipping containers. You can activate conveyor belts. You can grab onto things and move them around. The level of control that you have is amazing.” And for those players who are looking to unlock hidden things you might not find the first time, “There are so many fun things to discover along the way, layers, and layers, and layers of gameplay for our die-hard gamers, and layers, and layers, and layers of fun for comic fans, just really leaning into all of the details that this world has,” Strong hinted."

yeah i had not heard this either, that sounds really cool

truecoat

Obviously that is certainly possible. We just don't know either way yet. But eventually they are going to want to build another E-ticket ride and why would they cancel something outright that is based on their biggest brand? MCU is now bigger than Star Wars. It's bigger than Avatar. It's bigger than Pixar. All of those have huge E-ticket rides in the parks.

Haven’t you heard? Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time.

Giss Neric

Yeah but its just one movie. We don't know yet if the sequels can make people interested again after more than a decade. Marvel is still going strong with their hit shows on Disney+ and Phase 4 movies coming in the next few years.

On the other hand, look at what they did to Frozen. The highest grossing animated movie of all time and they can't even make a land or an E-ticket ride. What Hong Kong and Paris is getting should have been built here first and should have been built years ago.

Giss Neric

Cast have previews this coming week. Media is supposedly the 30th. So I would assume if they do have previews/soft opening it'll be afterwards. From what I understand that webs queue is very small so if they do previews keep an eye out for webs virtual queue going live. Or a long SB line to get into the land to minimize crowding for web and other things.
Nice. I'll be looking forward for the ride POV on the 30th and the rest of the land of course.

mickEblu

I think if they get approved with the extra land we will see something frozen related. They don't have room or want to tear down anything existing currently

Thank God. They can’t even get the Frontierland gate right. Do you know anything about that? Do CMs talk about these sorts of things? Or are you more of a rare breed? Also please disregard anything I said on the DL reopening thread. I followed all the rules.

J4546

Wouldnt it be cool if instead of GotG themed for the ToT they went with a more generic non IP themed city building that could fit in beside the campus building and also blend into the hyperion/art animation buildings assuming they also got city block style facades. And then it could be an avengers based ride, you could have like 6-10 different missions in it, all with different avengers and you dont know who you will be helping until the ride doors close. Maybe the facade/entrance/lobby could be dr strange themed because he has cool artifacts and his "portal" powers could be used as a transition to missions all over the universe. That would be cool. Like like how smugglers run was supposed to have multiple missions.

britain

Any guesses as to which IP will Florida use for this WEB Slingers + Upsell combo if it's successful? You know they'll capitalize on it if it works in CA, but they can't use it for Marvel there.

Mandalorian armory attraction perhaps?

G.L.A.D.I.O

Any guesses as to which IP will Florida use for this WEB Slingers + Upsell combo if it's successful? You know they'll capitalize on it if it works in CA, but they can't use it for Marvel there.

Mandalorian armory attraction perhaps?
-The Incredibles
-Big Hero 6
Or maybe Doctor Strange ?

fctiger

Yeah I did. I saw it four times myself in the theater lol. But I thought Avengers Endgame beat its box office though?

Either way its no doubt MCU is the biggest franchise of all time now. It USED to be Star Wars but that has fallen to #2 (still not too shabby ;)).

melmel374

I am glad to hear it will be an improvement over the Ninjago ride. We found it frustrating when we rode 2 years ago. Still fun but really hard to tell if you were doing it right.

lazyboy97o

Yeah I did. I saw it four times myself in the theater lol. But I thought Avengers Endgame beat its box office though?

Either way its no doubt MCU is the biggest franchise of all time now. It USED to be Star Wars but that has fallen to #2 (still not too shabby ;)).
Avatar recently had a theatrical rerelease in China resulting in it once again claiming the top spot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom