Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

mickEblu

I have it on good authority from the security guard at Dodger Stadium who also does custodial at Disneyland (and managed to keep both of his jobs during this crazy time) that the Spider-Man ride is very fun and is way better than TSMM. He was raving about virtual web slinging and said you can feel it. I asked him if there was anything attached to your hands or wrists and he said no. So I’m assuming it’s just really good audio, vibrations in the ride vehicle or a combo of both. Or he smoked a good one before riding.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I have it on good authority from the security guard at Dodger Stadium who also does custodial at Disneyland (and managed to keep both of his jobs during this crazy time) that the Spider-Man ride is very fun and is way better than TSMM. He was raving about virtual web slinging and said you can feel it. I asked him if there was anything attached to your hands or wrists and he said no. So I’m assuming it’s just really good audio, vibrations in the ride vehicle or a combo of both. Or he smoked a good one before riding.

WDI was tasked with creating a ride that makes people feel like a superhero. It's a natural progression of the idea of being a 'participant' in rides- and is one of the only ways where it kind of works.

I far prefer either the Pirates approach- where you float passively through beautifully designed sets. Or the Indy/Splash, where the ride vehicle has some variability from ride to ride. But if you're going to have a ride where riders have to 'participate', the idea that Tony Stark developed super hero tech and you get to experience it and become a super hero for a few minutes is the best possible way of doing it.

That said, the whole 'you're recruits' cliche is tired, overused, and reeks of 2000's Universal. I hope that every ride in the resort where you're a 'recruit' goes away sooner then later. Buzz and Mission BO come to mind.

mickEblu

WDI was tasked with creating a ride that makes people feel like a superhero. It's a natural progression of the idea of being a 'participant' in rides- and is one of the only ways where it kind of works.

I far prefer either the Pirates approach- where you float passively through beautifully designed sets. Or the Indy/Splash, where the ride vehicle has some variability from ride to ride. But if you're going to have a ride where riders have to 'participate', the idea that Tony Stark developed super hero tech and you get to experience it and become a super hero for a few minutes is the best possible way of doing it.

That said, the whole 'you're recruits' cliche is tired, overused, and reeks of 2000's Universal. I hope that every ride in the resort where you're a 'recruit' goes away sooner then later. Buzz and Mission BO come to mind.

I prefer the no story / non linear approach like Pirates and Mansion approach like Pirates and Splash also feels that way to me because of the pace of the logs and it’s vignette style.

I’m sure the Spider-Man ride will be fun and it definitely beats the forced “put your hands up” approach that GOTG:MB has. What I would personally want out of a Spider-Man ride would be too feel like I’m swinging through sky scrapers. I don’t necessarily want to be a superhero and save the day. I just want to feel that sensation.

SuddenStorm

I prefer the no story / non linear approach like Pirates and Mansion approach like Pirates and Splash also feels that way to me because of the pace of the logs and it’s vignette style.

I’m sure the Spider-Man ride will be fun and it definitely beats the forced “put your hands up” approach that GOTG:MB has. What I would personally want out of a Spider-Man ride would be too feel like I’m swinging through sky scrapers. I don’t necessarily want to be a superhero and save the day. I just want to feel that sensation.

I just don't care about Super Hero rides in general. If I come off the ride having had a decent time, I'll be okay.

Of course, there's also gonna be the nagging thought that the time on that ride would have been better spent on Splash Mountain.

mickEblu

I just don't care about Super Hero rides in general. If I come off the ride having had a decent time, I'll be okay.

Of course, there's also gonna be the nagging thought that the time on that ride would have been better spent on Splash Mountain.

Oh yeah that goes without saying. Avengers Campus wouldn’t even make my Top ten wish list of new lands DCA.

Sounds like a new thread idea.

Anyway I’m just saying since you are giving us a Spider-Man ride give me one where I’m swinging through skyscrapers. Not shooting cute robots in a warehouse securely on the ground. And would it kill them to bring another suspended track ride system to DLR. we haven’t got a new one since 55. It’s time. Aladdin, Coco, Spider-Man take your pick.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't want to be a Superhero or a Recruit. We're not that special and I don't want to be pandered to like all these Millennials and Gen Z snowflakes. I just want to go on a fun 5 minute ride. We're not that special. I don't go in the Haunted Mansion and think "I want to be a ghost. This is not Immersive enough." God, if modern Imagineering did it, we'd be Honorary Ghost Recruits who are temporarily killed in a ridiculous process and restored to life at the end of the ride. "Great job, Honorary Ghosts! Happy Haunting! Please exit to your left!"

TP2000

Thank you. The constant barking at us by either CM's or garbled pre-show audio "This way recruits! Good luck recruits! Pull on the yellow tab recruits!" gets old in even one ride after a couple minutes. But put it in several rides on the same property and it's eye-rollingly bad. Buzz, Mission Breakout, Rise Before Dawn, etc., etc.

If they have CM's at this Spiderman thing barking "Pull on the yellow tab recruits!" I'm going to laugh. And then cry.

TP2000

I don't want to be a Superhero or a Recruit. We're not that special and I don't want to be pandered to like all these Millennials and Gen Z snowflakes. I just want to go on a fun 5 minute ride. We're not that special.

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that! But you are right. Modern Imagineering is pandering to the Everyone Is A Winner! generation. Not only is every guest a very, very special recruit, but every CM is in The Starring Role! of this very, very special recruit show.

Classic Imagineering treated us like adults and never pandered to us. We were not the stars of the pirate show, nor were the ride operators dispatching boats the stars. It was the leading roles of the actual pirates who were the stars, with nods to Best Supporting Actresses in the redhead and the fat lady who was chasing the scrawny pirate.

Modern Imagineering has flipped that script. Now everyone is a star, and the ride doesn't even work unless they are lucky enough to have us very special stars there to raise our hands at the LED light bars in the loading area or push the purposeless buttons in the cockpit or sling webs with our bare wrists or what have you.

I don't go in the Haunted Mansion and think "I want to be a ghost. This is not Immersive enough." God, if modern Imagineering did it, we'd be Honorary Ghost Recruits who are temporarily killed in a ridiculous process and restored to life at the end of the ride. "Great job, Honorary Ghosts! Happy Haunting! Please exit to your left!"

Exactly. It was cute the first time or two WDI did it in the 2010's. But it just gets tiresome to do this all damn day at a theme park.

You conquered the Abominable Snowman, recruits! Our Swiss village is saved!
You helped Brer Rabbit find the Laughing Place, recruits! The chickens are singin' again!
You taught comedic timing to our newest skipper, recruits! The jungle can finally laugh!

Just put me in a boat and shove me into the ride, please. 🧐

TP2000

My goodness, I completely forgot that's also Rise's shtick. It's as if WDI has forgotten that ride's don't have to justify the fact that they have riders.

It's everywhere now. There's also an element of this concept in Millennium Falcon: Target Run. They need our help! We have to work hard! We did it! I'm a star!

But Rise Before Dawn lays on the recruit nonsense early and keeps it going throughout. Both in recorded pre-shows in the queue, and good guy CM's barking at you "this way recruits!", after the bad guy CM's call you "prisoners".

It's done well at Rise Before Dawn actually. But because it's a thing they've been doing on everything in the past five years, it lost its impact. And it reminds you of lesser rides in other areas of the park you were in before lunch. So... they failed at it.

George Lucas on a Bench

It's everywhere now. There's also an element of this concept in Millennium Falcon: Target Run. They need our help! We have to work hard! We did it! I'm a star!

But Rise Before Dawn lays on the recruit nonsense early and keeps it going throughout. Both in recorded pre-shows in the queue, and good guy CM's barking at you "this way recruits!", after the bad guy CM's call you "prisoners".

It's done well at Rise Before Dawn actually. But because it's a thing they've been doing on everything in the past five years, it lost its impact. And it reminds you of lesser rides in other areas of the park you were in before lunch. So... they failed at it.

Not sure why we're so important in Rise Before Dawn when there are clearly more skilled Heroes breaking us out, checking our yellow tabs and pushing the start button on the ride. Why aren't they the ones driving the car and saving the universe?

SuddenStorm

A touch off topic- but last year had a few disappointing moments when it came to Disneyland for me.

The first time I saw Galaxy's Edge.

The first time I rode Target Run when it miraculously had a 60 minute wait but the group wanted to ride it so we waited for it. That said, I did have the opportunity to send the Falcon into hyperdrive on a later ride which was fun. And I had a ton of fun turning around and saying "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's mine too" to my group, which of course received groans...

And the time I was given a heads up by my friend who was working that they were doing unannounced Cast previews for Rise, weeks before the official cast previews. I got back as quick as I could since I had tried twice before and it had broken down both times before I got on. Waited a total of 15 minutes (we entered via a back entrance), rode the ride, got off and they were still loading so I could have ridden it again- but I instead shrugged and decided I'd rather ride something else.

TP2000

Not sure why we're so important in Rise Before Dawn when there are clearly more skilled Heroes breaking us out, checking our yellow tabs and pushing the start button on the ride. Why aren't they the ones driving the car and saving the universe?

Ky'le From Tustin?

He'd wanted to help us recruits, but he got too busy telling his elaborate backstory to Jen From Brea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom