Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Professortango1

Thank you. The constant barking at us by either CM's or garbled pre-show audio "This way recruits! Good luck recruits! Pull on the yellow tab recruits!" gets old in even one ride after a couple minutes. But put it in several rides on the same property and it's eye-rollingly bad. Buzz, Mission Breakout, Rise Before Dawn, etc., etc.

If they have CM's at this Spiderman thing barking "Pull on the yellow tab recruits!" I'm going to laugh. And then cry.

Once again, we go back to the target demographic of Disney parks; kids. Kids love to play pretend. Having an adult participate in that imagined adventure elevates their enjoyment. I remember I would be a monster and my dad would flee in fear up the steps of a slide and then beg me not to push him down the slide. I loved it. My dad was participating in my game. Having CMs engage guests as members of a narrative story is what kids enjoy. They want to have an adventure with these characters and worlds.

I think there's more storylines out there to include people rather than just "help us!" TOT included guests in the story with the Bellhops and their interactions. They weren't asking for us to solve the mystery or accomplish anything with our presence, but they certainly played into the storytelling and world building for guests. Its another one of the reasons I loved starting and ending with the same Bellhop in the later incarnations of the ride.

TP2000

Once again, we go back to the target demographic of Disney parks; kids. Kids love to play pretend. Having an adult participate in that imagined adventure elevates their enjoyment. I remember I would be a monster and my dad would flee in fear up the steps of a slide and then beg me not to push him down the slide. I loved it. My dad was participating in my game. Having CMs engage guests as members of a narrative story is what kids enjoy. They want to have an adventure with these characters and worlds.

I think there's more storylines out there to include people rather than just "help us!" TOT included guests in the story with the Bellhops and their interactions. They weren't asking for us to solve the mystery or accomplish anything with our presence, but they certainly played into the storytelling and world building for guests. Its another one of the reasons I loved starting and ending with the same Bellhop in the later incarnations of the ride.

I agree with that. As much as it pains me to admit it, it's not the 1960's any longer. For Disneyland, or stewardesses, or many other things in life. :(

c35f9cb0346d44fca2dc15ba433a1e05.jpg

But WDI has to somehow get beyond the "We need your help recruits! This way recruits!" schtick they keep shoving into every E Ticket plotline now. The whole "Recruit, we need your help!" thing is the 21st century equivalent of "And then something went terribly wrong!" angle that WDI overplayed in the 1980's and 90's.

The Haunted Mansion's plotline and narration and CM performance is perfect. There's a script and a role that those CM's play, and they really pull you in and make that attraction excel. Same with The Jungle Cruise, or Storybook Land, or the Canoes, or the Red Car Trolley. It's a nice combination of scripted narration and looser improv and casual conversation, and when a CM does it well it's truly an art form. And pure Disneyland.

That was true in 1965, and it's still true in 2020.

But I swear, if some Spiderman C Ticket CM tells me to "Push up on that spidey-restraint recruit!" I'm going to laugh out loud. It's just so... over.

Last edited:

Professortango1

I agree with that. As much as it pains me to admit it, it's not the 1960's any longer. For Disneyland, or stewardesses, or many other things in life. :(

c35f9cb0346d44fca2dc15ba433a1e05.jpg

But WDI has to somehow get beyond the "We need your help recruits! This way recruits!" schtick they keep shoving into every E Ticket plotline now. The whole "recruit" thing is the 21st century equivalent of "And then something went terribly wrong!" angle that WDI overplayed in the 1980's and 90's.

The Haunted Mansion's plotline and narration and CM performance is perfect. There's a script and a role that those CM's play, and they really make that attraction excel. Same with The Jungle Cruise, or Storybook Land, or the Canoes, or the Red Car Trolley. It's a nice combination of scripted narration and looser improv and casual conversation, and when a CM does it well it's truly an art form. That was true in 1965, and it's still true in 2020.

But I swear, if some Spiderman C Ticket CM tells me to "Push up on that spidey-restraint recruit!" I'm going to laugh out loud. It's just so... over.

I can understand where you are coming from. I think the difference is that all modern Disney attractions are based upon a film or film characters whereas the classic attractions were based upon environments and worlds. It was a montage of tropes.

I remember there being a rumored darkride through San Francisco in 1906 with fireworks factories, gangsters, earthquakes, and other scenes. This would have likely been an experience based ride rather than giving us characters within the ride. But when you're doing Spiderman or Star Wars, it would seem odd to ride past scenes of random AA's fighting. Not only does it feel oddly passive for a ride built upon an action franchise, but we are used to watching narratives within this world.

I don't think its impossible though. I look at the Shanghai Pirates and its a nice mix with the guests not being there to do anything and often not even existing within the show scenes, but we are still in the middle of the action and feeling the rush. I do think Buzz's guest interaction is pointless for such a mediocre and bland attraction. They could stop calling us recruits on that. Or they could just level that entire structure and build something good.

TP2000

I don't think its impossible though. I look at the Shanghai Pirates and its a nice mix with the guests not being there to do anything and often not even existing within the show scenes, but we are still in the middle of the action and feeling the rush. I do think Buzz's guest interaction is pointless for such a mediocre and bland attraction. They could stop calling us recruits on that. Or they could just level that entire structure and build something good.

Good point on Shanghai's Pirates.

That ride proves WDI can still pull it off, without trying to make all the recruits sitting in row 3 a star. And the kid working at the unload dock a star. And the TDA cubicle drone who handles all the TPS reports a star.

I do think @George Lucas on a Bench hit on something when he mentioned this was a side effect of pandering to a generation who has to be constantly told they are very, very important and that the world can't function without them. There's honestly something to that generational change in the way WDI tells their stories to the audience.

You pulled on your yellow tab so perfectly recruit that you saved the galaxy and here's your trophy!

Last edited:

D.Silentu

That said, the whole 'you're recruits' cliche is tired, overused, and reeks of 2000's Universal. I hope that every ride in the resort where you're a 'recruit' goes away sooner then later. Buzz and Mission BO come to mind.
Funny you bring up "Guardians" as an example, I recall thinking that it was refreshing that we, the riders, are supposed to be guests for once. You haven't been drafted into something at some vague point before you crossed the threshold. For all of the ride's faults, I liked that they actually provided a reason for the guests to become participants in the action, even if it amounted to a simple gesture. They blew it where you get on the elevator and suddenly the action has nothing to do with you.

Then there's the "Millennium Falcon." Rider's are told that they are needed to fly a mission, but here that is exactly what you do. I understand that some people may not want to be personally involved, but I respect that the ride performs what it promises. For contrast, at Universal Studio's "Transformers," you are also called a recruit and the ride plays out like hundreds of others, asking nothing more than your attention. Most rides that recruit you play out the same way.

I really have no problem with the "recruit" premise to a ride. However, that premise implies some kind of audience participation so said ride needs to embrace that. I agree that it does seem to be the current Imagineering cliché and from my view that's a shame. Not just because it's overused, but because of all the many rides that use it, so few actually follow through with the concept ie. Transformers. I too want more variety in future rides, but Disneyland should be a place that offers a multitude of experiences, including interactive ones. Imagineers just need to remember that it's ok if we're simply guests sometimes too.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

You know I love you, but sometimes I think the Disneyland crew need to be referred to as “Les Miserables”.

Our official name is “Hive of Miserable B@stards.”

Believe it or not, I always have a fantastic time at Disneyland. I don’t rant or complain when I’m there. I only do that here, but I also praise the parks when it’s warranted.

SuddenStorm

Our official name is “Hive of Miserable B@stards.”

Believe it or not, I always have a fantastic time at Disneyland. I don’t rant or complain when I’m there. I only do that here, but I also praise the parks when it’s warranted.

Yep. I mean occasionally I'll make the odd grunt or sigh when I see some of Disneyland's more ridiculous creative decisions- but going to the park is still a remarkably fun time and I don't sit there complaining to my friend group about stuff I don't like. I'd imagine most here are the same.

mickEblu

Yep. I mean occasionally I'll make the odd grunt or sigh when I see some of Disneyland's more ridiculous creative decisions- but going to the park is still a remarkably fun time and I don't sit there complaining to my friend group about stuff I don't like. I'd imagine most here are the same.

And those grunts and sighs (when they do happen) are in my head for me. Something like “wow the new castle is really pink.” With that said, I have more internal commentary on the guests than I do about the park itself. My favorites are the abrupt stops in the middle of a walkway, the slow moving wall of China and of course the Achilles’ slashing strollers.

Californian Elitist

Exactly. It helps that there are plenty of things at both parks that I love and enjoy (much more of those things at Disneyland). I do the things the I like. As you said, I’m not going to be a Debbie-Downer around the company I’m with. I don’t feel the urge to be one when I’m there anyway.
And those grunts and sighs (when they do happen) are in my head for me. Something like “wow the new castle is really pink.” With that said, I have more internal commentary on the guests than I do about the park itself. My favorites are the abrupt stops in the middle of a walkway, the slow moving wall of China and of course the Achilles’ slashing strollers.
This, too. When I do come across something I don’t like, I silently say it to myself. For example, Toontown. That area needs a ton of work, but I don’t actually say that out loud and point out each fault when I’m there with family and friends.

mickEblu

Exactly. It helps that there are plenty of things at both parks that I love and enjoy (much more of those things at Disneyland). I do the things the I like. As you said, I’m not going to be a Debbie-Downer around the company I’m with. I don’t feel the urge to be one when I’m there anyway.

This, too. When I do come across something I don’t like, I silently say it to myself. For example, Toontown. That area needs a ton of work, but I don’t actually say that out loud and point out each fault when I’m there with family and friends.

Exactly it’s what ride are we going on next and what are we eating now?

smooch

I also just wanna say I object to these claims that my generation feels the need to be assured we are important and essential to society. Most people my age know we are expendable and nobody cares about us, just look at interviewing for jobs: we know we're competing with 100s of others just like us for a position they just want to hire to do as much work as possible while paying the least amount of money possible because we're nothing more than another worker bee in society's point of view.

Ahem- sorry, my pessimistic side is showing...

mickEblu

Good point on Shanghai's Pirates.

That ride proves WDI can still pull it off, without trying to make all the recruits sitting in row 3 a star. And the kid working at the unload dock a star. And the TDA cubicle drone who handles all the TPS reports a star.

I do think @George Lucas on a Bench hit on something when he mentioned this was a side effect of pandering to a generation who has to be constantly told they are very, very important and that the world can't function without them. There's honestly something to that generational change in the way WDI tells their stories to the audience.

You pulled on your yellow tab so perfectly recruit that you saved the galaxy and here's your trophy!

I mean ya. We' re not always complaining. I agree on Shanghai POTC. I also think they did a great job with Peter Pans Flight in Shanghai and Tron looks like a lot of fun. The park as a whole though aesthetically and flow wise Im not so sure. Pandora looks great and I hear Flight of Passage is incredible. It's one of the only rides I haven't spoiled for myself because why? It's a screen ride , what's the point of watching a ride through of a screen based ride anyway? I also have high hopes for Cosmic Rewind at Epcot. Its the kind of thing I've been wanting at DLR for years. A new themed roller coaster. Gadgets and Incredicoaster don't count. I just wish WDI would understand that a new themed roller coaster and a new suspended dark ride are about as close to slam dunks as it gets for DLR. Yet we haven't got either since Peter Pan's Flight in 1955 and Thunder Mountain 1979.

TP2000

I just wish WDI would understand that a new themed roller coaster and a new suspended dark ride are about as close to slam dunks as it gets for DLR. Yet we haven't got either since Peter Pan's Flight in 1955 and Thunder Mountain 1979.

WDI had the chance to do exactly that with DCA's Little Mermaid ride, if they had gone with the suspended underwater dark ride that Tony Baxter proposed.

Instead, they gave us a clamshell Omnimover that needed several major refurbishments to get it up to mediocre level. At least at DCA it's just it's naturaly walk-on self, or 5 minute wait on busy weekends. At WDW they gave it Fastpass where you have to reserve your time 90 days in advance because there are so few other rides in that theme park. So... at least there's that for Anaheim. A mediocre Omnimover without Fastpass!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom