Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

_caleb

Genius!! Having it be converted into the Daily Bugle building would be soooo much better than what they did with it. Love your idea
You mean just like Islands of Adventure?
0317spider-man-islands-of-adventure.jpg

Professortango1

Tokyo Disney Sea can be a good example of a park that, may be well designed, but can still feel empty and unentertaining in parts. Their Tower of Terror was fabulously detailed thru the queue, but much like here, the ride was pretty meh.

The newer ride system is an improvement overall to the Florida model. Yes, we lose the 5th Dimension Room, but we do gain a motion simulator base in the shaft to increase sensation as well as keep system integrity. This also enables the drop scare after the hallway sequence. The trackless 5th Dimension Room is a great concept, but doesn't work reliably and sadly, Florida didn't make good use of it. The Imagineers openly underplanned the room thinking that the concept of the car moving horizontally would be enough to engage guests and went cheap on the room design.

Tokyo is the best of the Tower 2.0's. Better ride system and better facade and queue. I do prefer the Twilight Zone theme, but its a better overall attraction than any pre-existing Towers.

Rodj

The newer ride system is an improvement overall to the Florida model. Yes, we lose the 5th Dimension Room, but we do gain a motion simulator base in the shaft to increase sensation as well as keep system integrity. This also enables the drop scare after the hallway sequence. The trackless 5th Dimension Room is a great concept, but doesn't work reliably and sadly, Florida didn't make good use of it. The Imagineers openly underplanned the room thinking that the concept of the car moving horizontally would be enough to engage guests and went cheap on the room design.

Tokyo is the best of the Tower 2.0's. Better ride system and better facade and queue. I do prefer the Twilight Zone theme, but its a better overall attraction than any pre-existing Towers.
Sorry but I don't want to have this discussion with you again that you seemed to turn a blind eye to. That whole motion simulator nonsense is a big lie and can be proven false with behind the scenes videos I have, the bottom of the VVC is just a flat bottom base with two speakers on the sides, no motion simulator stuff on it.
I would like to say that the 5th Dimension breakdowns have been very rare as of the refurbs done in the past few years. The main breakdowns that happen are hiccups in the computer system or the drop shaft motor sensors that just require a Ride Reset Assist to be done to get it up again, no evacuations needed. I would even say the ToT in Florida runs more reliable than RoTR. That is not to say that the ToT is in DESPARATE need of a show effects refurb. They were originally going to have one right before the pandemic, which would have included research on having non-water based fog, possibly restoring the 5th Dimension back to having fog in it.

el_super

That is not to say that the ToT is in DESPARATE need of a show effects refurb. They were originally going to have one right before the pandemic, which would have included research on having non-water based fog, possibly restoring the 5th Dimension back to having fog in it.

That might be nice. Florida's Tower of Terror was the least impressive of the bunch. It definitely needs an upgrade.

Professortango1

Sorry but I don't want to have this discussion with you again that you seemed to turn a blind eye to. That whole motion simulator nonsense is a big lie and can be proven false with behind the scenes videos I have, the bottom of the VVC is just a flat bottom base with two speakers on the sides, no motion simulator stuff on it.
I would like to say that the 5th Dimension breakdowns have been very rare as of the refurbs done in the past few years. The main breakdowns that happen are hiccups in the computer system or the drop shaft motor sensors that just require a Ride Reset Assist to be done to get it up again, no evacuations needed. I would even say the ToT in Florida runs more reliable than RoTR. That is not to say that the ToT is in DESPARATE need of a show effects refurb. They were originally going to have one right before the pandemic, which would have included research on having non-water based fog, possibly restoring the 5th Dimension back to having fog in it.

That's just the information and schematics I've seen.

That improvement sounds great. I loved the Florida version as a kid and would love to see it upgraded to be cutting edge again. If they could integrate some of the changes to the newer attractions, that would be great. I know we can never get the drop scare or the faster pacing, but updating the narration/projection would be great along with the updated 5th Dimension Room.

Its kind of sad, as Florida's TOT has the bones to actually make a decent GotG attraction. That 5th Dimension Room could have been a great show scene with some fun AA's and effects leading to the finale. And it fits the park better considering all of DHS is lands based off of franchises.

MarvelCharacterNerd

No Viva Navidad?
I have a friend who ADORES Viva Navidad and watches it repeatedly each season. I occasionally get pulled along and am reminded that I enjoy the dancing and the music. But it's not a particular fave. I prefer the Lunar New Year procession with the drummers and the dragon dance (the performance one, not Mushu lol, but Mushu too).

TP2000

Hmmm. Not a lot of strong language. The review sounds kind of weak. I really wanted to hear something along the lines of “blows TSMM away.” Sounds like they re really banking on the virtual shooting tech to carry the attraction.

Yeah, exactly what I thought. Micechat writes a review, and it's mildly complimentary but oddly not raving. And this from a website that, as we've been discussing elsewhere, is no longer offering honest and blunt reviews of anything the Walt Disney Company produces now.

And all they could come up with is a notably non-raving ride review filtered through whatever CM's are left on Anaheim property to say it was basically a nice ride? But kind of short? But it's nice. No really, it's... nice.

After what I personally experienced in 2019 in Star Wars Land, I'm going to be very suspicious of any online reviews during this time of lockdown and corporate mandates.

Star Wars Land 2019: Fool me once, shame on you.
Marvel Land 2020: Fool me twice, shame on me.

It's gonna be soo lame.

You might be right. If Micechat, who has gotten into the business of raving about whatever TDA produces for the past few years, can only muster up a modestly complimentary review of this new ride, then that's a problem.

It's a shorter version of Midway Mania without the grimy guns and it's got Spiderman! The PowerPoint says research shows that young people who identify as male love Spiderman!

In a park where Midway Mania with the grimy guns already exists a few hundred yards away. But not even Micechat quoting the few CM's still lucky enough to be on the payroll could muster up a rave review?

This seems... ominous.

britain

Yeah, exactly what I thought. Micechat writes a review, and it's mildly complimentary but oddly not raving. And this from a website that, as we've been discussing elsewhere, is no longer offering honest and blunt reviews of anything the Walt Disney Company produces now.

And all they could come up with is a notably non-raving ride review filtered through whatever CM's are left on Anaheim property to say it was basically a nice ride? But kind of short? But it's nice. No really, it's... nice.

After what I personally experienced in 2019 in Star Wars Land, I'm going to be very suspicious of any online reviews during this time of lockdown and corporate mandates.

Star Wars Land 2019: Fool me once, shame on you.
Marvel Land 2020: Fool me twice, shame on me.

You might be right. If Micechat, who has gotten into the business of raving about whatever TDA produces for the past few years, can only muster up a modestly complimentary review of this new ride, then that's a problem.

It's a shorter version of Midway Mania without the grimy guns and it's got Spiderman! The PowerPoint says research shows that young people who identify as male love Spiderman!

In a park where Midway Mania with the grimy guns already exists a few hundred yards away. But not even Micechat quoting the few CM's still lucky enough to be on the payroll could muster up a rave review?

This seems... ominous.

I wouldn’t say ominous. I’d say it seems like a fine C ticket. And there’s nothing wrong with that as long as they get to add the Avengers E ticket.

TP2000

I wouldn’t say ominous. I’d say it seems like a fine C ticket. And there’s nothing wrong with that as long as they get to add the Avengers E ticket.

Okay, valid point.

Although I'm pretty sure this was budgeted and planned to be hyped as a D Ticket. Just like Midway Mania in 2008 was, with smog creating paratroopers and a full lunch buffet for all credentialed media.

But instead this "opens" in a Pandemic when DCA has been closed for the past nine months and won't be reopening for at least another six months (nine months?) and they've laid off 28,000 CM's and the only thing open is Elias & Co. and even the few hundred CM's still left on the Anaheim payroll can only muster up a "It was nice. Like 12 year old Midway Mania, but shorter, and you use your hands instead of a gun" as the big rave review???

Yeah. If that's all they can come up with for this new ride, perhaps the C Ticket moniker for the D Ticket budget is a smart idea. Keep expectations low, for when the park actually reopens ten months from now. :oops:

britain

Okay, valid point.

Although I'm pretty sure this was budgeted and planned to be hyped as a D Ticket. Just like Midway Mania in 2008 was, with smog creating paratroopers and a full lunch buffet for all credentialed media.

But instead this "opens" in a Pandemic when DCA has been closed for the past nine months and won't be reopening for at least another six months (nine months?) and they've laid off 28,000 CM's and the only thing open is Elias & Co. and even the few hundred CM's still left on the Anaheim payroll can only muster up a "It was nice. Like 12 year old Midway Mania, but shorter, and you use your hands instead of a gun" as the big rave review???

Yeah. If that's all they can come up with for this new ride, perhaps the C Ticket moniker for the D Ticket budget is a smart idea. Keep expectations low, for when the park actually reopens ten months from now. :oops:

I don't think anyone at WDI actually plans on D tickets. D attractions are E tickets that don't hit the mark. C's are a clearer target: Obviously a minor attraction, but one that can still be a lot of fun. B tickets are A tickets with a slightly more demanding investment/operating budget.

It's really just 3 tiers with two very subjective transition layers in between.

mickEblu

I don't think anyone at WDI actually plans on D tickets. D attractions are E tickets that don't hit the mark. C's are a clearer target: Obviously a minor attraction, but one that can still be a lot of fun. B tickets are A tickets with a slightly more demanding investment/operating budget.

It's really just 3 tiers with two very subjective transition layers in between.

That’s an interesting way of looking at it. In reality I think there are no tickets. Just budgets. Then the imagineers try to do what they can with that.

_caleb

Not on the west coast it hasn't.
So you'd like Disney to copy on the West coast what Universal did in Florida?

If Disney had rethemed California Adventure's ToT as Spider-Man, I'm sure these forums would have been filled with "Spider-Man deserves an original ride!!" Seems like they'd say the same thing about them lifting Universal's approach.

Also, it's clear that Disney is pursuing the "intergalactic" aspects of the Marvel universe rather than the real world meta where the Daily Bugle fits in.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

So you'd like Disney to copy on the West coast what Universal did in Florida?

If Disney had rethemed California Adventure's ToT as Spider-Man, I'm sure these forums would have been filled with "Spider-Man deserves an original ride!!" Seems like they'd say the same thing about them lifting Universal's approach.

Also, it's clear that Disney is pursuing the "intergalactic" aspects of the Marvel universe rather than the real world meta where the Daily Bugle fits in.
I didn't say those words. I said the idea of turning the old Tower of Terror into the Daily Bugle for a Spider-Man ride would have been a better fit and use for it than turning it into the collector's fortress that has landed in not only california but a theme park for that matter for some reason. I would prefer a new building be built for a first class E Ticket Spidey Ride.

_caleb

When has "it's been done before by somebody else" stopped Disney before?

Hey, interesting fact about Universal's Spider-Man ride - did you know the voice of Spider-Man on the ride was provided by Chris Edgerly, also the voice of Scuttle in the Little Mermaid ride?
I did not know that!

I’m not a huge fan of Universal’s Spider-Man ride, so maybe that’s why I’m not keen to see it copied.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom