Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Curious Constance

True but they just work so damn well in Fantasyland.
Dark rides are much different than flat rides in my opinion. On Luigi’s and Mater’s the ride vehicle IS the attraction. The ride vehicles on the fantasyland attractions are part of the fun but primarily the means of moving you through the surroundings which are the true main attraction.

Last edited:

nevol

Dark rides are much different than flat rides in my opinion. On Luigi’s and Mater’s the ride vehicle IS the attraction. The ride vehicles on the fantasyland attractions are part of the fun but primarily the means of moving you through the surroundings which are the main attraction.
Fantasyland will always be more effective because it is "fantasy" themed. All the flat rides in fantasyland are either a nostalgic look on amusement park aesthetics (carousel) or quite psychedelic (dumbo) or both. The rest of the lands at disneyland were more real-life adventures, and the break from tradition that cars land is is that it is both. While some think it isn't a big deal, it is worth noting that until dinorama, there were absolutely no flat rides at all 4 parks of walt disney world other than star jets and the fantasyland dark rides. Suddenly, every land is opening with them (correction; dca 1.0 and anything pixar (animation) related. It is a fairly major change. You don't see spinners in frontierland or new orleans square themed as trains, for example. The transportation attractions there are more alike their transportation references than a flat ride dressed as such; canoes, railroad, riverboat, sailing ship columbia. These are all far more real and effective and transformative than a flat ride dressed as x y or z.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Dark rides are much different than flat rides in my opinion. On Luigi’s and Mater’s the ride vehicle IS the attraction. The ride vehicles on the fantasyland attractions are part of the fun but primarily the means of moving you through the surroundings which are the true main attraction.

I agree. I was comparing to the actual flat rides though- The Teacups, Carrosuel and Dumbo.

mickEblu

Fantasyland will always be more effective because it is "fantasy" themed. All the flat rides in fantasyland are either a nostalgic look on amusement park aesthetics (carousel) or quite psychedelic (dumbo) or both. The rest of the lands at disneyland were more real-life adventures, and the break from tradition that cars land is is that it is both. While some think it isn't a big deal, it is worth noting that until dinorama, there were absolutely no flat rides at all 4 parks of walt disney world other than star jets and the fantasyland dark rides. Suddenly, every land is opening with them (correction; dca 1.0 and anything pixar (animation) related. It is a fairly major change. You don't see spinners in frontierland or new orleans square themed as trains, for example. The transportation attractions there are more alike their transportation references than a flat ride dressed as such; canoes, railroad, riverboat, sailing ship columbia. These are all far more real and effective and transformative than a flat ride dressed as x y or z.

Agreed. Fantasyland is the only land they work and Toontown I guess could get a pass. The Astron orbiter can go ahead and go to Yesterland.

SuddenStorm

Carsland looks nice, but it was a direct lift from a movie and was quite a while ago now. It also has the three most overrated, dare I say, boring rides in the entire world in my opinion.

Carsland only contributes to my trepidation about anything else they build.

Agreed. I appreciate the thematic quality of the land- it has cool architecture and the rockwork is well done. But the fact that it's heralded as Disney's best shocks me.

New Orleans Square was a far better land in 1970 then Cars Land is in 2018.

These one IP lands feel like a fad- a fad that will fall out of favor when the source material stops selling toys and the Imagineers have difficulty updating the land with new experiences since they trapped themselves with only one IP allowed in the land.

mickEblu

Crazy how that works. I deride Flik's Flyers, Heimlich's, and the Ladybug ride- but would revolt of Casey Junior, Dumbo, or the Teacups were removed.

King Arthur is a beautiful carrousel. Dumbo has the charming fountain/ water feature and The tea cups are between those beautiful ficus trees with the lanterns having over head. There is no comparison with the Bugs Land rides.

Is Casey considered a flat ride?

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

King Arthur is a beautiful carrousel. Dumbo has the charming fountain/ water feature and The tea cups is between those beautiful ficus trees with the lanterns having over head. There is no comparison with the Bugs Land rides.

Is Casey considered a flat ride?

I don't think so. I was more making the Chew Chew Train-circus train comparison, which is certainly unfair to Casey Junior which is a far better ride.

mickEblu

Yes in a support role but they can never be headliners. When Disney tries to make them such, it fails miserably.

Agreed but the Fantasyland flats are much more than a supporting role when it comes to aesthetics and kinetic energy. Fantasyland at DL is interesting because it’s not really about headliners and more about the collective experience.

Curious Constance

Agreed. I appreciate the thematic quality of the land- it has cool architecture and the rockwork is well done. But the fact that it's heralded as Disney's best shocks me.

New Orleans Square was a far better land in 1970 then Cars Land is in 2018.

These one IP lands feel like a fad- a fad that will fall out of favor when the source material stops selling toys and the Imagineers have difficulty updating the land with new experiences since they trapped themselves with only one IP allowed in the land.

Just because they happened to copy something that was impressive looking, doesn't mean it wasn't still just a direct copy of something from a movie.

What truly would have showed the imagineers are hitting on all cylinders was 3 great, repeatable, FUN attractions. I think we got one terrible attraction (Luigi's both versions), one barely fun attraction (Mater's), and one semi-fun attraction for the last 30 seconds.

My kids LOVE rides. Any rides. And neither of them care much for Carsland's 3 attractions. They just aren't very impressive.

shortstop

Just because they happened to copy something that was impressive looking, doesn't mean it wasn't still just a direct copy of something from a movie.

What truly would have showed the imagineers are hitting on all cylinders was 3 great, repeatable, FUN attractions. I think we got one terrible attraction (Luigi's both versions), one barely fun attraction (Mater's), and one semi-fun attraction for the last 30 seconds.

My kids LOVE rides. Any rides. And neither of them care much for Carsland's 3 attractions. They just aren't very impressive.
I view this as part of the flawed trend of adding entire lands based on IP. I don’t see why nearly every addition has to be an entire land. Why can’t they just add one ride at a time in a place where it fits? When you build a whole land around Cars, but spend all the money on RSR and rockwork, you end up with two lame flat rides.

Curious Constance

I view this as part of the flawed trend of adding entire lands based on IP. I don’t see why nearly every addition has to be an entire land. Why can’t they just add one ride at a time in a place where it fits? When you build a whole land around Cars, but spend all the money on RSR and rockwork, you end up with two lame flat rides.

IPs would be much easier to deal with if they would just add a ride here and there in existing lands that weren't IP themed.

Curse you Wizarding World of Harry Potter!!!!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Uhh... that didn't happen with Pandora or TSL (on flat, one coaster) nor will it with SWL (two E rides)

And even though single-IP lands are indeed a trend, it's not the only thing Disney's doing: MMRR, GotG, TRON, and possibly a Poppins rides are rides without being in a new single-IP land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom