Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

nevol

I've recently had a similar attitude with all current projects happening at DLR.

If Fantasmic 2017 (I refuse to call it 2.0 since that implies it's better), Mission Breakout, Toy Story Land, and Pixar Pier are any indication of what current WDI is capable of, I don't have high hopes for Galaxy's Edge and Marvel Land.

Yes, I know Galaxy's Edge is being marketed as Disney's most ambitious land ever. I've received a lot of pushback elsewhere online for suggesting that the Imagineering team won't do a complete 180 in terms of quality and wow us next year.

Do I think they'll try and be ambitious with Galaxy's Edge and Marvel? Of course. But I think we're gonna end up with an expensive, beautiful mess on both accounts- just like Fantasmic 2017 and Mission: Breakout.
You are ignoring Pandora, and even Cars Land. Since you brought up a nighttime spectacular, I'll mention Happily Ever After (though I am not optimistic they can create a non-IP show worthy of replacing Illuminations). It is quite obvious when Disney is trying and when they aren't. Most of their projects are lipstick on a pig though. The only precedence for Galaxy's Edge are Pandora and Cars Land; and Galaxy's Edge is obviously being taken twice as seriously as those projects were.

TP2000

You are ignoring Pandora, and even Cars Land. Since you brought up a nighttime spectacular, I'll mention Happily Ever After (though I am not optimistic they can create a non-IP show worthy of replacing Illuminations). It is quite obvious when Disney is trying and when they aren't. Most of their projects are lipstick on a pig though. The only precedence for Galaxy's Edge are Pandora and Cars Land; and Galaxy's Edge is obviously being taken twice as seriously as those projects were.

You could also add in Buena Vista Street, although that was just shops and a couple of restaurants, plus a trolley that makes none of the sharp pencil boys happy but got included in the project anyway.

Honestly, WDI and TDA scored major points for going from this...
sunshine_withplanters2004ah.jpg

To this, for no good reason other than it was better aesthetically and storywise.

7539901032_af71a6bfd9_b.jpg

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

Half-assed Disney: original DCA, Pixar Pier

Disney on a budget: M:BO,Toy Story Land

Disney spending a lot of money: Cars Land, Pandora

Disney giving it their all: Galaxy’s Edge?

Curious Constance

Carsland looks nice, but it was a direct lift from a movie and was quite a while ago now. It also has the three most overrated, dare I say, boring rides in the entire world in my opinion.

Carsland only contributes to my trepidation about anything else they build.

THE Monorail Lime

that does widen uo the land quite a bit, hopefully they have some money in the budget to also temove the huge fan equipment for the old tire ride still sitting behind luigi.
that would add even more room to timon lot. even if they turned it into a in park themed back road into Carsland that led to the small hideaway next to the courthouse.
Photos of the fans?

nevol

Carsland looks nice, but it was a direct lift from a movie and was quite a while ago now. It also has the three most overrated, dare I say, boring rides in the entire world in my opinion.

Carsland only contributes to my trepidation about anything else they build.
Agreed. I just like walking from pacific wharf to route 66 and looking at the rock formations. Some of the neon. The attractions don't do it for me, which is ridiculous, because how hard is it to make a fun ride? Where is Tony Baxter when you need him?

mickEblu

Agreed. I just like walking from pacific wharf to route 66 and looking at the rock formations. Some of the neon. The attractions don't do it for me, which is ridiculous, because how hard is it to make a fun ride? Where is Tony Baxter when you need him?

This is why I say I’m totally fine with the Marvel coaster just being a fun ride. I hope the imagineers focus on that and not making it the most unique next gen thing in the world. A traditional coaster with quality show scenes in the beginning and end (and middle if they could squeeze it in) with projections and effects throughout would be great.

EPCOTCenterLover

I know each of us is entitled to our opinions, but I find Maters and Racers GREAT fun! Both are super repeatable. Luigi's? Not so much.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Half-assed Disney: original DCA, Pixar Pier

Disney on a budget: M:BO,Toy Story Land

Disney spending a lot of money: Cars Land, Pandora

Disney giving it their all: Galaxy’s Edge?

China of course should always factor into the conversation. It's pretty much the bulk of new product we've seen in the last five years.

The entirety of Adventure Isle through Pirates Cove / Mystic Pointe through Grizzly Gulch. It naturally trails off from there into the lesser categories.

However those four lands and Carsland / Pandora remain the reason I'm slightly more keen on certain WDI teams than others here. Thematically they don't gel, but smash those 6 lands together and you have an IOA-like park to DisneySea level delivered from 2012-2017.

The small stuff has been pretty miss, but I think the Rivers of America and Disneyland 60th were well handled. My hope is that Scott's team also technically oversaw the Rivers and Big Thunder Trail.

Old Mouseketeer

China of course should always factor into the conversation. It's pretty much the bulk of new product we've seen in the last five years.

The entirety of Adventure Isle through Pirates Cove / Mystic Pointe through Grizzly Gulch. It naturally trails off from there into the lesser categories.

However those four lands and Carsland / Pandora remain the reason I'm slightly more keen on certain WDI teams than others here. Thematically they don't gel, but smash those 6 lands together and you have an IOA-like park to DisneySea level delivered from 2012-2017.

The small stuff has been pretty miss, but I think the Rivers of America and Disneyland 60th were well handled. My hope is that Scott's team also technically oversaw the Rivers and Big Thunder Trail.

I think there may be a couple of factors at work here. As you pointed out, one may be the leader and team in charge. But another may be the difference between methodically planned major additions, such as Cars Land, Pandora, and New FL at WDW, versus slapdash makeovers like GotG:MB/Summer of Heroes and Pixar Pier/Pixar Fest. Add a dash of WDI/TWDC politics, and voila!

Travel Junkie

Look at the entirety of WDI over the last decade and they have done quite well. They have some weaknesses and tend to use technology as a crutch, but I still like a lot of what they have done lately.

Even their misses are not as bad imo when compared to the competition. When Universal misses they miss big. Outside of Potter, I still haven't seen Universal put all the pieces together. The ride is ok but the theming around it stinks. The theming is great, but the ride is awful. Lately their queues have much better than the ride itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom