Avengers Campus: E-Watch! (Waiting on the new ride)

Californian Elitist

I’m wondering if the majority of entire library of Marvel characters through comic, television, and film history. There are so many characters in the concept art, including different versions of Spider-Man and Hulk.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Trackless rides aren’t that great 😕
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I don't blame trackless ride vehicles (which are just a medium to move people around) as the problem, but the execution of the attraction that uses them as a problem. Technically you can make a trackless vehicle move around exactly as a small dark ride vehicle like Snow White or Toads. You could technically also make them move just like a doom buggy (follow a path and turn as needed).

I find the execution in Mystic Manor and even Pooh's Hunny Hunt to be well done, especially in Pooh where the vehicles bounce. I also think Luigi's is a unique use of the system that allows individual vehicles to move around each other which couldn't be achieved without trackless vehicles. I know that ride isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's fun (if the line is short enough).

BATB to me is using trackless as an excuse to just make people move around each other in big open spaces. I consider that poor execution.

MMRR has some bad parts in big open rooms, but I do like that Luigi's type dancing can be included and that each vehicle can enter a "slot" during the waterfall scene. So that's a mix for me. I also like that they can follow each other to simulate a train.

You'll probably disagree because this is the most debatable use, but I think Rise is a good execution of trackless because you can split the party to view scenes from different perspectives, achieve cool things like the canon room (when they are working properly) because you can move the vehicles back and forth at a whim, and hook into the drop plates for the escape pod scene. I don't think Rise is achievable without trackless vehicles.

In the end, I think there's more you can do with trackless vehicles than with tracked IF the execution is well done and people can think beyond them dancing around each other. Not every attraction needs them. They should be used to enhance story telling, not have the story telling be molded as an excuse to use them.

mickEblu

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I don't blame trackless ride vehicles (which are just a medium to move people around) as the problem, but the execution of the attraction that uses them as a problem. Technically you can make a trackless vehicle move around exactly as a small dark ride vehicle like Snow White or Toads. You could technically also make them move just like a doom buggy (follow a path and turn as needed).

I find the execution in Mystic Manor and even Pooh's Hunny Hunt to be well done, especially in Pooh where the vehicles bounce. I also think Luigi's is a unique use of the system that allows individual vehicles to move around each other which couldn't be achieved without trackless vehicles. I know that ride isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's fun (if the line is short enough).

BATB to me is using trackless as an excuse to just make people move around each other in big open spaces. I consider that poor execution.

MMRR has some bad parts in big open rooms, but I do like that Luigi's type dancing can be included and that each vehicle can enter a "slot" during the waterfall scene. So that's a mix for me. I also like that they can follow each other to simulate a train.

You'll probably disagree because this is the most debatable use, but I think Rise is a good execution of trackless because you can split the party to view scenes from different perspectives, achieve cool things like the canon room (when they are working properly) because you can move the vehicles back and forth at a whim, and hook into the drop plates for the escape pod scene. I don't think Rise is achievable without trackless vehicles.

In the end, I think there's more you can do with trackless vehicles than with tracked IF the execution is well done and people can think beyond them dancing around each other. Not every attraction needs them. They should be used to enhance story telling, not have the story telling be molded as an excuse to use them.

You make some good points. I don’t blame the vehicles. It just seems that trackless rides are inherently at a disadvantage as they require big buildings to roam around in that require a lot of theming. Poohs Hunny Hunt is the only one I have seen that looks appealing. So yes a ride being trackless doesn’t mean it’s doomed but I’m not a huge fan of what’s been done with the trackless rides stateside. Trackless rides seem to = meandering from big room to big room. I prefer a dark ride to feel more intimate. ROTR does this in certain scenes but maybe it doesn’t feel that way to me due to the cold/ sterile environment. MMRR has a couple intimate scenes like the sewer tunnel but they re the exception and not the rule. Maybe it’s not just the trackless component but also that the newer rides that rely more heavily on screens leave me a little cold.

I always say either give me a themed coaster or give me an intimate immersive dark ride. Certain rides for me in end up in No man’s land. Rides like MMRR, ROTR and even Indy (not trackless obviously) just don’t quite do it for me. They re not thrilling but also not the best dark rides in the traditional sense. Not to knock them but they re much more ambitious so the theming isn’t as flawless in execution as say POTC or HM.

truecoat

You make some good points. I don’t blame the vehicles. It just seems that trackless rides are inherently at a disadvantage as they require big buildings to roam around in that require a lot of theming. Poohs Hunny Hunt is the only one I have seen that looks appealing. So yes a ride being trackless doesn’t mean it’s doomed but I’m not a huge fan of what’s been done with the trackless rides stateside. Trackless rides seem to = meandering from big room to big room. I prefer a dark ride to feel more intimate. ROTR does this in certain scenes but maybe it doesn’t feel that way to me due to the cold/ sterile environment. MMRR has a couple intimate scenes like the sewer tunnel but they re the exception and not the rule. Maybe it’s not just the trackless component but also that the newer rides that rely more heavily on screens leave me a little cold.

I always say either give me a themed coaster or give me an intimate immersive dark ride. Certain rides for me in end up in No man’s land. Rides like MMRR, ROTR and even Indy (not trackless obviously) just don’t quite do it for me. They re not thrilling but also not the best dark rides in the traditional sense. Not to knock them but they re much more ambitious so the theming isn’t as flawless in execution as say POTC or HM.

But what kind of themed coaster? Minimally like Uni's new JP or screen city like GoTG?

If Indy is fully operational, it's a great adventure. Too bad they didn't announce the long-delayed rehab on Sunday.

Disney Analyst

What I am getting from this is they decided with the multiverse unlocked now, they can make this anything they want, include anyone they want, and change it as much as they want over the years.

My biggest question is what type of ride is this?

Phroobar

New Star Tours Christmas overlay characters!

fdd.jpg

denyuntilcaught

I like the points you make but I'm actually surprised you mentioned Indy in the list as I think it's the most convincing dark ride there is. As others noted, when it works it gets you as close to actually experiencing peril in the most convincing manner. IMO WDI has never topped this.

J4546

I like em both equally. If I went to a park that had all those rides and could only pick 4, I'd coin flip for them. Also I just realized in a year DL will have all 5 of those rides...what a stacked park!

mickEblu

I like the points you make but I'm actually surprised you mentioned Indy in the list as I think it's the most convincing dark ride there is. As others noted, when it works it gets you as close to actually experiencing peril in the most convincing manner. IMO WDI has never topped this.

Maybe when everything is working which hasn’t been in a while. It’s much more clear you re in a show building when you re on Indy or RSR than when you are on POTC or HM. Have you ever looked up at the ceiling lights on RSR? When things aren’t working in Indy it’s much more noticeable than POTC or HM. Aside from those attractions being darker all around Indy relies on a few show stopping elements that when they are not working really takes you of it as opposed to POTC or HM that have a million things to look at.

Again not to knock RSR, Indy or ROTR. They re all more ambitious than theming a building to a Haunted House Bayou/ caverns. Not just the setting but in scope as well. With that ambition their are trade offs. Not every ride can be a “simple” and Uber dark dark ride like POTC or HM.

mickEblu

So one of the vlogs I watched (can’t remember which one at the moment) mentions the possibility that the ride system for the new Avengers attraction could be the ride system they re using for Peter Pans new ride at Disney Sea. I believe @GiveMeTheMusic said it was going to be some type of indoor Ferris Wheel which is confusing but also intriguing. Would definitely prefer something unique to what looks like something more akin to Transformers. Anyway judging by the concept art I wouldn’t hold my breath for some new ride system. Especially not whatever they re using for Peter Pan Japan. Definitely looks like they scaled back from the Quinjet ride and scaling back typically doesn’t mean using some other new ride system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom