Avengers Campus: E-Watch! (Waiting on the new ride)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’ll see if I can find it, it’s been years. But basically there was a piece of leaked concept art that showed an entirely different version of an avengers land compared to the one we got. There was no official word saying “it’s going in the Hollywood backlot”, but many were speculating it going in the backlot because there was no room for it anywhere else at California adventure.

At the time Disneyland Forward wasn’t a thing and that original version of the land looked way too big to fit in bugs land. But I will admit there was no way to verify if the picture was real, nor where the land was going to be located exactly, or why it was cancelled.
As another poster indicated, I think it was confusing things with the dual projects that were going on at DLP. There was never a real rumor, or even speculation (at least on this site), that I'm aware of for Spider-Man going in the backlot.

The backlot was always billed as a "phase two" of Marvel in DCA in the rumor mill, which they've obviously moved on from now.

I wonder what percentage of the folks who really, really hate Webslingers (or generally think it’s a terrible ride) have ever made it on the leaderboard. 🤔

Also, do the people who don’t like TSMM and Webslingers because there aren’t enough animatronics also hate Space Mountain, Tea Cups, Matterhorn, Soarin’, and Autopia?
I mean if one wanted to get on the leaderboard easily you could just buy one or two of the $30 Wrist attachments in the gift shop that get you a better score (because each one can shoot 3 webs at once so you can score 3 times the points. And if you bought one for both hands that’s 6x the points. Also midway mania actually had effort and creativity put into it. There’s an animatronic Mr potato head, the games are well thought out and actually fun, you don’t have to buy any attachments to score more points, the ride lasts longer than web slingers, and the theming is good to where you actually feel like you are in a playset in Andy’s room.

The development of Web slingers on the other hand was outsourced to another company, the same company who made the ninjago ride at Lego land. That company specializes in lower budget dark rides. Anyways that’s not a dealbreaker on its own but just was somewhat relevant to this topic. Web slingers has no animatronics at all, barely any physical sets, the game part of it isn’t fun all you do is flail your arms at generic spider bots, you can buy physical dlc to get a better score, the theming is bland and very minimal once you get on the ride, the ride time is super short, and the illusion of you traveling through the campus is broken because it’s pulled off through paper thin walls.

those rides you mentioned don’t need animatronics because they all offer something different that contributes to the good ride experience, not to mention for some of those you listed i dont really think animatronics were available at the time (like the tech wasn’t there yet or they were too expensive at the time). But for example web slingers is like if Disney made a second space mountain coaster but drastically changed things that people liked about the original. Like making it go super slow or putting in all screens. Not to mention having two very similar rides in the same park is a bad decision.

Good theming and ride experience can make a similar ride to one that already exists at the park stand out on its own. But in web slingers case they failed on those accounts which further makes it difficult to stand out on its own. Anyways I can’t speak for others but i personally have nothing against those who do like web slingers or the avengers campus. I just enjoy criticizing the ride and the campus because it really is a good example of Disneys decline in quality lately. They didnt try much with it, it just feels like it was all build cheap and lazy to drive marvel merchandise instead of providing actual good guest experience.

Imagine how good the ride and campus would have been had Disney actually tried and had they actually given it a good budget. Yet they didn’t so we are stuck with a land that feels like something I’d see at six flags not Disney. Also they haven’t even started construction on the avengers e ticket ride that they announced all the way back in 2019. It’s 2024 yet still no progress aside from vague announcements.

As another poster indicated, I think it was confusing things with the dual projects that were going on at DLP. There was never a real rumor, or even speculation (at least on this site), that I'm aware of for Spider-Man going in the backlot.

The backlot was always billed as a "phase two" of Marvel in DCA in the rumor mill, which they've obviously moved on from now.
No worries and thank you! Also I wonder, since Paris had a better version of their campus originally planned, do you think the same thing happened here at the California avengers campus? Of course there’s no proof unless Disney says something but I have a hunch that they had something better planned but after budget cuts we ended up with the six flags quality avengers land instead. I just was wondering how likely that could be.

Of course I could be wrong and maybe they planned this cheap lazy (in my opinion) version all along.

But for example web slingers is like if Disney made a second space mountain coaster but drastically changed things that people liked about the original. Like ... putting in all screens.
1721153837816.png

britain

Disney Irish

Premium Member

C33Mom

Tron coaster is awesome imo, glad they built one in the states
I enjoyed it in Shanghai, glad it made it to MK, but I don’t think we need more than one of the exact same coaster in the states… I’m going to be sad if DLR gets a Tron clone instead of the Cosmic Rewind clone.

Does it include the the years of R&D on the slingshot Spidey animatronic and preparatory development for the cancelled Quinjet ride? That’s $200 million easy.
They never should have cancelled that quinjet ride tbh. It would have been way better than the way Lower budget multiverse ride we are getting instead

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They never should have cancelled that quinjet ride tbh. It would have been way better than the way Lower budget multiverse ride we are getting instead
In all fairness we don't know how the Quinjet ride would have turned out, it showed promise but we just don't know. Nor do we know how the King Thanos ride will turn out either. We assume screens, but we don't know if they'll do some practical effects or some AAs also, so we can't say its "lower budget" just yet. And to be honest they could change their mind yet again and do something completely different. We'll just have to wait and see what they end up building.

C33Mom

How about we stop cloning and start CREATING again?
100%— that would be my top choice…but I do really love Cosmic Rewind’s ride system and want more coasters with fun sound tracks (I also want them to periodically bring the old Dick Dale Space Mountain soundtrack back).

Earlier this month I started to worry that Disney isn’t going to introduce any great coasters in CA because they want us DLR folks to have to keep flying to WDW at least once a year to get our new coaster fix.

SuddenStorm

100%— that would be my top choice…but I do really love Cosmic Rewind’s ride system and want more coasters with fun sound tracks (I also want them to periodically bring the old Dick Dale Space Mountain soundtrack back).

Earlier this month I started to worry that Disney isn’t going to introduce any great coasters in CA because they want us DLR folks to have to keep flying to WDW at least once a year to get our new coaster fix.
Just a rumor but apparently they are going to clone one of California adventures only unique e ticket rides at wdw. They are going to clone radiator springs racers over there. I have no idea why. Like many said cloning the same rides at their parks here in the us kinda ruins the whole “every Disney park is unique and offers a different experience” thing.

In all fairness we don't know how the Quinjet ride would have turned out, it showed promise but we just don't know. Nor do we know how the King Thanos ride will turn out either. We assume screens, but we don't know if they'll do some practical effects or some AAs also, so we can't say its "lower budget" just yet. And to be honest they could change their mind yet again and do something completely different. We'll just have to wait and see what they end up building.
I think it would have been amazing, because they had just finished the ambitious rise of the resistance ride not too long before this avengers ride at the time. Honestly I’d be excited for the king Thanos ride too if things had been going well recently. But lately things haven’t been going well, most notably a lot of the new additions/rides have been lackluster and budget cut to hell (I can only speak in terms of the California Disney parks since I’m local).

For example the cheap lazy re themes like Pixar pier and San Fransokoyo. The cheap and awful avengers campus which is still missing the e ticket ride. Ride wise web slingers has been a disappointment, and I know it’s at wdw but Tiana’s is honestly pretty bad. Not saying that because of politics, it’s just legitimately bad kinda like web slingers. And to me smugglers run was disappointing especially since they haven’t bothered to add new travel destinations to it yet, in addition to the gunner and engineer positions being boring. But to be fair at least the ride had some effort put into it unlike the others I listed here.

Sorry for the long rant and I do not want to ruin anyone’s excitement. It’s just I let myself get excited the last few times for Disneys promises only for them to get cancelled or budget cut to hell, so I kinda lost trust/faith in them. I hope I’m wrong and that this d23 is amazing but I worry we will be in for more disappointment

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it would have been amazing, because they had just finished the ambitious rise of the resistance ride not too long before this avengers ride at the time. Honestly I’d be excited for the king Thanos ride too if things had been going well recently. But lately things haven’t been going well, most notably a lot of the new additions/rides have been lackluster and budget cut to hell (I can only speak in terms of the California Disney parks since I’m local).

For example the cheap lazy re themes like Pixar pier and San Fransokoyo. The cheap and awful avengers campus which is still missing the e ticket ride. Ride wise web slingers has been a disappointment, and I know it’s at wdw but Tiana’s is honestly pretty bad. Not saying that because of politics, it’s just legitimately bad kinda like web slingers. And to me smugglers run was disappointing especially since they haven’t bothered to add new travel destinations to it yet, in addition to the gunner and engineer positions being boring. But to be fair at least the ride had some effort put into it unlike the others I listed here.

Sorry for the long rant and I do not want to ruin anyone’s excitement. It’s just I let myself get excited the last few times for Disneys promises only for them to get cancelled or budget cut to hell, so I kinda lost trust/faith in them. I hope I’m wrong and that this d23 is amazing but I worry we will be in for more disappointment
It certainly had the potential to be "amazing", but you can never tell how things will turn out until they are built.

As for your disappointments, they are certainly valid opinions. However with that said, that doesn't mean that there aren't positives to be taken from each. For example, what you consider cheap lazy rethemes with Pixar Pier and San Fransokyo appear to have positive guest feedback overall. So even if some things haven't been well regarded by the fan community, its the guest feedback that Disney cares about. As long as that remains positive, that is all that matters. When its no longer positive that is when Disney makes changes, its a constant cycle.

We'll just see how things turn out when they build the Avengers attraction. Personally I still think it has the potential to be "amazing".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom