Avengers Campus: E-Watch! (Waiting on the new ride)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well there’s different levels of hardcore fans. There are people like us and then you have million(s) of pass holders who live at the park or some that go weekly, monthly and so forth. Would you not say they are pretty hardcore? They may not be thinking about this as deep as you or I but many of them will feel the disappointment nevertheless. And then don’t discount the causal guest either. I’ve gone to park with many a family member who surprised me with their knowledge and level of awareness.

No it doesn’t have to be a coaster but a thrill ride would definitely help and be more of crowd pleaser than the route they re going. Who knows? Maybe they’ll surprise us. Seems like the odds are stacked against them though.
Just like I don't need action in everything I watch I don't need a thrill ride in every theme park experience. If I did I'd be going to Six Flags all the time instead of DLR. Variety is the spice of life, and the same can be said about a lands attraction lineup.

As long as the execution is good I think it has the potential to be a crowd pleaser even if its not a traditional thrill ride.

mickEblu

Just like I don't need action in everything I watch I don't need a thrill ride in every theme park experience. If I did I'd be going to Six Flags all the time instead of DLR. Variety is the spice of life. As long as the execution is good I think it has the potential to be a crowd pleaser even if its not a traditional thrill ride.

Well Disney thrill ride and Six Flags thrill ride are two very different things that appeal to very different demographics. Also, if variety is the spice of life id say DLR could use some coaster spice and not another media based, screen heavy trackless type ride. Avengers sounds much more like MMRR and ROTR than it does a coaster.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well Disney thrill ride and Six Flags thrill ride are two very different things that appeal to very different demographics. Also, if variety is the spice of life id say DLR could use some coaster spice and not another media based, screen heavy trackless type ride. Avengers sounds much more like MMRR and ROTR than it does a coaster.
Yes I'm aware they are different, and that is my point. Six Flags caters more to the coaster/thrill teen/adult group. Disney Parks caters to all, with a little bit of everything. So they aren't going to throw up a new coaster/thrill ride for every or even most new projects likes Six Flags does.

I don't disagree that DLR could use more coasters, we've had that conversation before. And DLForward will hopefully bring at least one if not a couple in the coming years. I just don't think this attraction needs to be a coaster or thrill ride for it to be successful. And while yes it sounds more like ROTR, at least so far, that doesn't mean it won't be successful. And honestly even with all the complaints that happen around here ROTR still brings in the crowds.

And now that I think about it, are there any lands at any Disney Park where they have two thrill rides right next to each other? The only thing I can think of is now WDW with TL having Space and Tron next to each other. Prior to that I don't know of any other, but if you want to correct me on that go ahead. So that kind of indicates it's less likely to be a thrill ride, at least in my opinon.

mickEblu

Yes I'm aware they are different, and that is my point. Six Flags caters more to the coaster/thrill teen/adult group. Disney Parks caters to all, with a little bit of everything. So they aren't going to throw up a new coaster/thrill ride for every or even most new projects likes Six Flags does.

I don't disagree that DLR could use more coasters, we've had that conversation before. And DLForward will hopefully bring at least one if not a couple in the coming years. I just don't think this attraction needs to be a coaster or thrill ride for it to be successful. And while yes it sounds more like ROTR, at least so far, that doesn't mean it won't be successful. And honestly even with all the complaints that happen around here ROTR still brings in the crowds.

And now that I think about it, are there any lands at any Disney Park where they have two thrill rides right next to each other? The only thing I can think of is now WDW with TL having Space and Tron next to each other. Prior to that I don't know of any other, but if you want to correct me on that go ahead. So that kind of indicates it's less likely to be a thrill ride, at least in my opinon.

Are you really going to make me say DLR hasn’t got a themed E ticket coaster since 1979 again? I know you guys are tired of hearing it. Lol. That’s 1979 as in 50 YEARS by the time this attraction opens. If not Star Wars or Marvel which IP?

Splash and BTMRR at Frontierland at MK. Regardless I don’t think they chose not to make Avengers a thrill ride just because it’s next door to MB as it’ll likely have a 40 inch height requirement anyway. I’m sure it has everything to do with budget, space and how they think they should tell the story.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Are you really going to make me say DLR hasn’t got a themed E ticket coaster since 1979 again? I know you guys are tired of hearing it. Lol. That’s 1979 as in 50 YEARS by the time this attraction opens. If not Star Wars or Marvel which IP?

Splash and BTMRR at Frontierland at MK. Regardless I don’t think they chose not to make Avengers a thrill ride just because it’s next door to MB as it’ll likely have a 40 inch height requirement anyway. I’m sure it has everything to do with budget, space and how they think they should tell the story.
Yes I know you want a new coaster and that DLR hasn't had a new one in years, you literally say it every time we've had this conversation, so we've gone over that many times. But I do appreciate your persistence on this point. Though I still hold the opinion that Incredicoaster counts as it was originally themed to an old woodie coaster (technically still is) while still being a modern steel coaster with launch system.

Anyways, I still have the opinion that even if its not a coaster or thrill ride that Avengers can still be a success. You're not going to convince me otherwise, so we're not covering new ground here. Also its not just that MB and the Avengers ride will be next to each other, they will be almost on top of each other.

C33Mom

You mean like ToT and RnRC at the end of Sunset Blvd in DHS?

As a DLR pass holder, I would strongly prefer a thrill ride (ideally the Cosmic Rewind system or one of the new patented systems)— I can appreciate that Disney needs a mix of thrill rides and dark rides and boat rides and interactive rides— but for our family, thrill rides and interactive rides are the only ones we really want to do each visit. I think ROTR is an awesome ride, but I don’t need to do it each time I visit. I think a thrill ride would also make it easier for them to put it on ILL—but I assume they are still having success selling ILL for RSR.

Disney Analyst

Not to bring up the one… as it’s not really themed, but honestly Screamin’ or Incredicoaster is one of my favourite roller coasters I’ve been on, in any theme park. Theme aside, that’s such a fun, long, coaster.

Disneyland Resort wins for having that beast.

mickEblu

Not to bring up the one… as it’s not really themed, but honestly Screamin’ or Incredicoaster is one of my favourite roller coasters I’ve been on, in any theme park. Theme aside, that’s such a fun, long, coaster.

Disneyland Resort wins for having that beast.

It is fun. It’s smooth, very enjoyable and pretty close to just the right amount of thrill for me.

DLR wins / beats who for having that beast?

J4546

I agree, theming aside, incredicoaster is a great long just the right thrills coaster for me. A launch from the water, a lift hill, a loop, length. A great coaster imo. Also I like PP for what it is. 10 rides in one area with multiple shops and food and a great show on the water, plus a ton of kinetic energy, i dig it

mickEblu

Not my post, but the implication is that DLR is better off having it than not having it.

Oh, ok well that’s for sure. Especially when the alternative is nothing. What if the alternative was Journey to the Center of the Earth? But anyway this is all far removed from my original point on the topic.

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
Well then let me try using some foresight. Disney, if you are listening, people will be very disappointed if you make them wait 10 years (since the first announcement) for an Avengers scoop ride that isn’t even the best ride in the land that it resides in. Mission Breakout will still be viewed as the anchor or best ride in the land. The Avengers ride needs to be a coaster. Not to mention people will naturally compare it to ROTR and it won’t even be half as good as that - a ride that opened 10 years earlier. Not to mention, a new themed E ticket coaster is desperately needed at DLR. Not to mention this would be 10 years after the MCU and Avengers peaked. With a scoop ride, story will be that much more of the focal point and much more important. With a good themed thrill ride, the story becomes the cherry on top. The latter would be a safer bet considering the decline and question marks surrounding the direction and sustained popularity of the MCU and its characters.

Also being that this isn’t Florida please build a good portion of the gargantuan building underground to preserve sight lines.

Maybe the Avengers Scoop ride is viewed as a package deal with the (most likely) far superior Avatar boat ride as a sort of rebranding of the park as DCA 3.0? That would take some attention off Avengers not being a world class attraction but still wouldn’t be doing their gazillion dollar franchise any justice.
I'm putting all bets that Disney will use the Peter Pan Neverland Adventure layout and ride system from Tokyo's Fantasy Springs. It's a completely different experience than the Scoop-style ride- as if that and FoP had a baby. The screens are all massive and wrap around the rooms. It's a perfect amount of thrilling (also like FoP) and can contain a tremendous amount of impressive visuals and animatronics if necessary.

I'm surprised that people aren't mentioning this ride a lot, because having ridden it twice myself it's very E-ticket and worthy of Avengers Campus. The video doesn't do it justice, but it does show how it's thrilling and uses screens impressively. Considering Imagineering worked out the layout, tech, and all the little hijinks it would be really easy to drag and drop into AC but with a different theme. Plus OLC won't complain because it's original to DCA, nor can Universal because it doesn't copy their ride system.

Additionally, a roller coaster is way too expensive (see Cosmic Rewind). The show building, unless you have it outdoors (which would be very hard to theme), will be seen from the Radiator Springs area and be very unappealing for sightlines (Mission BO and that seriously two-punch ugly).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You mean like ToT and RnRC at the end of Sunset Blvd in DHS?

As a DLR pass holder, I would strongly prefer a thrill ride (ideally the Cosmic Rewind system or one of the new patented systems)— I can appreciate that Disney needs a mix of thrill rides and dark rides and boat rides and interactive rides— but for our family, thrill rides and interactive rides are the only ones we really want to do each visit. I think ROTR is an awesome ride, but I don’t need to do it each time I visit. I think a thrill ride would also make it easier for them to put it on ILL—but I assume they are still having success selling ILL for RSR.
I appreciate your point-of-view, but as a DLR pass holder myself, as I mentioned I don't need a thrill ride or coaster for this attraction. I prefer the mix that Disney offers, as I mentioned before.

Also no matter what the ride system for the attraction, it'll have ILL no matter what, that is a given, so that isn't even a determining factor here. And yes they appear to have success with with selling ILL for both RSR and ROTR.

mickEblu

I'm putting all bets that Disney will use the Peter Pan Neverland Adventure layout and ride system from Tokyo's Fantasy Springs. It's a completely different experience than the Scoop-style ride- as if that and FoP had a baby. The screens are all massive and wrap around the rooms. It's a perfect amount of thrilling (also like FoP) and can contain a tremendous amount of impressive visuals and animatronics if necessary.

I'm surprised that people aren't mentioning this ride a lot, because having ridden it twice myself it's very E-ticket and worthy of Avengers Campus. The video doesn't do it justice, but it does show how it's thrilling and uses screens impressively. Considering Imagineering worked out the layout, tech, and all the little hijinks it would be really easy to drag and drop into AC but with a different theme. Plus OLC won't complain because it's original to DCA, nor can Universal because it doesn't copy their ride system.

Additionally, a roller coaster is way too expensive (see Cosmic Rewind). The show building, unless you have it outdoors (which would be very hard to theme), will be seen from the Radiator Springs area and be very unappealing for sightlines (Mission BO and that seriously two-punch ugly).

Yeah I and most of us are saying scoop but we know it’s a copy of the Peter Pan ride at TDS. People have described the ride as being similar to Scoop. I’ve seen a ride through of the Pan ride and realize it’s not the kind of ride that will translate on video. With that said from what I can see and how it has been described I feel that the system was fine for a smaller Peter Pan adventure. Doesn’t seem like the ideal fit for an epic Avengers Adventure. Now I will admit you are making it sounds a little more appealing. Not sure I realized the screens were so large. I have said that they might surprise us but I don’t have a lot of confidence for various I have mentioned. I also don’t have the same faith in imagineering as I once did.

Too expensive? But they can afford to lose millions of dollars movie after movie? Even the Quinjet building looked like it was going to be very large and seen from many areas of the park. No matter which route they go I hope they keep sight lines in mind. Especially from Cars Land. Why can’t they go underground a bit?

From a resort wide perspective when it comes to attraction roster as well as considering the IP, it would make a lot of sense for the Avengers ride to be a coaster.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No matter which route they go I hope they keep sight lines in mind. Especially from Cars Land. Why can’t they go underground a bit?
Could this be part of the reason why they built that Admin building behind Luigi's? So it would block a lot of the Avenger's building inside Cars Land until you walk down the path alongside Luigi's. I mean they could have built that building anywhere on-property of ever off-site, no reason it needed to be behind Luigi's unless they are trying to take future sight lines into consideration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom