Avengers Campus: E-Watch! (Waiting on the new ride)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So the land needed three headliners?

By all means the land should have co-opened with the Avengers E ticket as well, I strongly doing think the land needed three thrill ride E tickets. It’s a great third tier attraction that is great for kids.

The trouble is Spiderman, really really appeals to the toddler crowd, so cutting them out would be a folly IMO.
Spider-Man the character appeals to all ages, so they needed an attraction that was more accessible to all ages not just a thrill ride for teens/adults. While I personally would have liked something more than a shooter ride, I can understand why they went in that direction, especially given the previous land its new land was replacing.

mickEblu

So the land needed three headliners?

By all means the land should have co-opened with the Avengers E ticket as well, I strongly doing think the land needed three thrill ride E tickets. It’s a great third tier attraction that is great for kids.

The trouble is Spiderman, really really appeals to the toddler crowd, so cutting them out would be a folly IMO.

Yeah I get why they used Spider-Man. He’s appealing and sells merch. I don’t think anything in the former Bugs theatre would have been a headliner but if they went with a suspended shooter or with the pendulum system it would have been much less disappointing than TSMM. 2.0. As fan I’d like to see all IP utilized in the most ideal way possible especially at DLR where land is at a premium. Now they have DL Forward approved. Imagine if they would have waited and built a Spider-Man ride without any of those constraints. Now we’re stuck with Webslingers. It was all rushed and short sighted.

BrianLo

Yeah I get why they used Spider-Man. He’s appealing and sells merch. I don’t think anything in the former Bugs theatre would have been a headliner but if they went with a suspended shooter or with the pendulum system it would have been much less disappointing than TSMM. 2.0. As fan I’d like to see all IP utilized in the most ideal way possible especially at DLR where land is at a premium. Now they have DL Forward approved. Imagine if they would have waited and built a Spider-Man ride without any of those constraints. Now we’re stuck with Webslingers. It was all rushed and short sighted.

The resort needs non E tickets though. Especially DCA needs a more robust C/D portfolio. It’s not like Disney is in a sudden deficit of Marvel properties that could justify thrill attractions. I feel like that is what you are most worried about? Even after Avengers, Wakanda seems on the radar. Then the whole can of X-men follows.

This fits into the whole fans say they want C and D tickets, but actually consistently do not, discussion. Which again does not mean I have strong disapproval over the slow rolling of Avengers.

mickEblu

The resort needs non E tickets though. Especially DCA needs a more robust C/D portfolio. It’s not like Disney is in a sudden deficit of Marvel properties that could justify thrill attractions. I feel like that is what you are most worried about? Even after Avengers, Wakanda seems on the radar. Then the whole can of X-men follows.

This fits into the whole fans say they want C and D tickets, but actually consistently do not, discussion. Which again does not mean I have strong disapproval over the slow rolling of Avengers.

I think we might be back where we started. I don’t think Spider-Man was the right choice for a C ticket shooter. But I do agree that the parks could use more C n D tickets in general.

Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel character and he’s probably most people’s favorite. He’s so popular that I think they should have given him a worthy attraction. Even if it meant waiting and going another direction with the shooter. But I realize that kind of long term planning isn’t realistic in this day and age.

Last edited:

C33Mom

I would have preferred the entirety of A Bug's Land to stay than to have Marvel land.
Do you have young children?

I’ve never missed Bug’s Land, though I did like Emotional Whirlwind better when I could ride in a takeout carton. I’d trade either version of the ride to have Maliboomer back though.

C33Mom

IMO Bugs Land was going to go no matter what. It's a dead IP.
I don’t have a problem with people who don’t like Avenger’s Campus (shorter waits for me!) but I can’t imagine actually enjoying Bug’s Land more unless the median age in your group is under 7. I guess it had more shade?

mickEblu

I don’t have a problem with people who don’t like Avenger’s Campus (shorter waits for me!) but I can’t imagine actually enjoying Bug’s Land more unless the median age in your group is under 7. I guess it had more shade?

I didn’t spend a lot of time there but it was much more charming than Avengers Campus. Avengers Campus doesn’t even feel like a Disney theme park land to me. Then of course it had much more shade and foliage. Name one thing as charming at AC as the popsicle stick benches or the giant spigot on top of the Splash pad. Then you had It’s tough to be a Bug. Not only was it a great show but the lobby was one of the finer indoor themed areas in the park. Something about taking the path “underground” into that lobby felt transportive. Nothing about AC is transportive in any way.

Pacnw

A bug‘s land was a wonderfully charming and well themed area in DCA. If they had simply invested some resources into building a dark ride or two, I think that land would’ve been a bigger success. Heck, even a kids coaster, like goofy‘s barnstormer in WDW would have been a welcome edition. Avengers campus is lifeless and bland in comparison.

C33Mom

I didn’t spend a lot of time there but it was much more charming than Avengers Campus. Avengers Campus doesn’t even feel like a Disney theme park land to me. Then of course it had much more shade and foliage. Name one thing as charming at AC as the popsicle stick benches or the giant spigot on top of the Splash pad. Then you had It’s tough to be a Bug. Not only was it a great show but the lobby was one of the finer indoor themed areas in the park. Something about taking the path “underground” into that lobby felt transportive. Nothing about AC is transportive in any way.
Despite several years of having an AP, I never spent time in Bug’s Land until I had kids and even after having them didn’t see much appeal— everything there struck me as attractions you could find a regional theme park, but I am willing to believe the theming was more ornate than Camp Snoopy. I have never made time to see It’s Tough to Be a Bug in WDW or DLR—but the way you describe the theater does sound charming.

I don’t know if you are a Marvel fan or not but my children love wandering around Avengers Campus and I find that watching them have spontaneous interactions with the various super heroes is often a highlight when I look back on a particular DCA visit. Our whole family loves slinging our hearts out trying to get on the top score of the day board. I think the entire Webslingers pre-show (from set design to spider bots plot to Peter Parker himself) is pretty adorable and then there are fun theming details between the preshow and the actual loading area.

I appreciate that some parks fans don’t like Avengers Campus, but we’ve never brought someone to DLR who hasn’t enjoyed it, let alone said they wished it was still Bug’s Land.

mickEblu

Despite several years of having an AP, I never spent time in Bug’s Land until I had kids and even after having them didn’t see much appeal— everything there struck me as attractions you could find a regional theme park, but I am willing to believe the theming was more ornate than Camp Snoopy. I have never made time to see It’s Tough to Be a Bug in WDW or DLR—but the way you describe the theater does sound charming.

I don’t know if you are a Marvel fan or not but my children love wandering around Avengers Campus and I find that watching them have spontaneous interactions with the various super heroes is often a highlight when I look back on a particular DCA visit. Our whole family loves slinging our hearts out trying to get on the top score of the day board. I think the entire Webslingers pre-show (from set design to spider bots plot to Peter Parker himself) is pretty adorable and then there are fun theming details between the preshow and the actual loading area.

I appreciate that some parks fans don’t like Avengers Campus, but we’ve never brought someone to DLR who hasn’t enjoyed it, let alone said they wished it was still Bug’s Land.

Willing to believe? Didn't you see it with your own eyes?

Yeah I believe it. Kids are excited to see characters they like. People like Marvel and the characters. As a themed space however, it's awful.

Personally when I take family and friends going to DLR for the day on park hoppers we skip the land entirely (except for MB). Not sure if they just trust me but not once has anyone asked me to take them there or make time for it. Granted, I didn't necessarily paint Webslingers in the best light but when you're trying to get people on 12+ of the best attractions between DL and DCA in one day there just isn't any time for it. Nor are there any must eats nor do I feel like they would be missing out on any great ambiance.

Lastly, is there any way you can sign me into Club 33? Haven't been there since I was 6 years old.

Last edited:
Our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man does not need a thrilling attraction when Disney knows haters can seek at the other ride in IoA. Our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man needs a simple but fun ride for everyone to participate in, one that will have not a single child coming out crying.

As for that Avengers E-ticket, if they don’t do something better or on par with the new Peter Pan ride at FS, than we should all be raging and cancelling the failure of Disney.
No hate to anyone who likes web slingers it’s just such a disappointing ride especially since it’s the lands only new ride. Had the land opened with the e ticket i think many wouldn’t hate web slingers as much. It’s basically just a spider man re skin of Toy Story. It’s even in the same park as midway mania.

Anyways Disney is best at making rides that appeal to people of all ages. Just like midway mania could have been as lame as web slingers but they made an effort to make it exciting for riders of all ages. Web slingers doesn’t even seem like it was specifically made for small children, it seems more like a coincidence because it feels so low effort and cheap.

Also yeah that e ticket really needs to be good (because if it’s trash or never gets built the land is doomed).

Last edited:
Yeah let me just fly from Disneyland to Orlando to get my FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD Spider-Man fix.

Mick's right. The Spider-Man ride should have been a pendulum coaster that mimics the sensation of swinging along skyscrapers down Fifth Avenue. That's what kids who watch Spider-Man dream about, just like how kids who watch Star Wars dream about flying an X-Wing, which is why Disney should have built an X-Wing coaster and not the Falcon ride.
I will never understand why they didn’t go with that pendulum spider man ride they had originally planned. Although most likely it’s because they wanted to do the land on the cheap

C33Mom

Willing to believe? Didn't you see it with your own eyes?
As mentioned, I skipped over or quickly walked through it most of its existence, but I haven’t been to Knotts or Magic Mountain in over 15 years, so the “willing to believe” was actually in reference to the assumption that there were elaborate details I missed that would be superior to what you might find at our other local parks.
Yeah I believe it. Kids are excited to see characters they like. People like Marvel and the characters. As a themed space however, it's awful.
Clearly it’s not for everyone, but I don’t think it’s objectively awful.
Personally when I take family and friends going to DLR for the day on park hoppers we skip the land entirely (except for MB). Not sure if they just trust me but not once has anyone asked me to take them there or make time for it. Granted, I didn't necessarily paint Webslingers in the best light but when you're trying to get people on 12+ of the best attractions between DL and DCA in one day there just isn't any time for it. Nor are there any must eats nor do I feel like they would be missing out on any great ambiance.
I agree it’s challenging to get on all the best attractions (or even 10 of them) in a day, especially with the frequency with which rides have been breaking down over the past year. I personally don’t think there are “must eats” within the land but I will stroll over from the Grand Californian just for the current Oreo iced coffee drink (DLR generally lacks for sweet iced coffee options).
Lastly, is there any way you can sign me into Club 33? Haven't been there since I was 6 years old.
Alas, I would help if I could! :)

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I don’t have a problem with people who don’t like Avenger’s Campus (shorter waits for me!)
That's what people said about Country Bear Jamboree, Submarine Voyage, the original Swiss Family Treehouse......see where I'm going with this?

Do you have young children?
Isn't it argued ad nauseum in Disney circles that Disneyland is for people of all ages? Isn't that how people justify "Disney Adults"?

Of course I'm being facetious, but even though I believe that there should be attractions that young children can enjoy, they should also be done well enough that adults can enjoy them too. I think a Bug's Land fell more into that category than Avenger's Campus does. They basically traded 4 attractions kids can do for only one. Plus it had the park's only splash pad which was much needed in the concrete jungle that is DCA.

As mentioned, I skipped over or quickly walked through it most of its existence, but I haven’t been to Knotts or Magic Mountain in over 15 years, so the “willing to believe” was actually in reference to the assumption that there were elaborate details I missed that would be superior to what you might find at our other local parks.

I'll admit that I mostly walked through it to either use the bathroom or as a go-between from Cars Land to Hollywoodland. However, I still appreciated its existence and thought it was well themed and well suited for the youngins.

Clearly it’s not for everyone, but I don’t think it’s objectively awful.

I mean....it kinda is. I think a lot of people who like Marvel make the best of it to justify ticket prices and its existence, but I think most people would agree that it's a lot of nothing-space, a mediocre restaurant, a cloned ride, an overlayed ride, and a promised E-Ticket that is taking forever to build. If anything, it's more of a glorified meet-and-greet area than it is a well-made land.

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
Is this the cancelled ride y'all were yammering about?
If Disney built this, they would have no way ever to build an Avengers E-ticket with the size of this show-building. Maybe this could be the Avengers E-ticket in the near future.
1720726163163.png
1720726186069.png

1720726211549.png
1720726229175.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom