Avengers Campus: E-Watch! (Waiting on the new ride)

Phroobar

Says who? It's part of Disney, but it's not what Disney's all about. Frankly, their over reliance on having cutting edge technology has been part of my criticisms of the company as of late. Webslingers is cutting edge and it sucks. Give me tried and true over false and new.
Cutting Edge goes with World Class theme park. Walt was all about cutting edge tech and he loved to show it off. Webslingers isn't cutting edge. I did the exact same ride at Legoland California years before Webslingers opened.

iu

it is the fact that the ride looks like a similar experience to a period of Universal attractions which are not very well celebrated in the theme park community.
I'm fairly sure IOA Spider-Man is well-loved among most fans, and that seems to be what this ride is most similar to (albeit from word of mouth here, trying to avoid spoilers).

Even Transformers is far from hated compared to other Universal rides.

Ismael Flores

I'm fairly sure IOA Spider-Man is well-loved among most fans, and that seems to be what this ride is most similar to (albeit from word of mouth here, trying to avoid spoilers).

Even Transformers is far from hated compared to other Universal rides.
when I last went to universal Hollywood was couple months after the transformers opened. I went at park opening walked thru the park down to transformers and was excited that it was 15 minute wait. got on with friends, non of us had been on it. We got out of the ride and said, lets go have some real fun then rode Simpsons two time sin a row. :D
we actually had more fun on the Silly Simpsons than transformers

mickEblu

when I last went to universal Hollywood was couple months after the transformers opened. I went at park opening walked thru the park down to transformers and was excited that it was 15 minute wait. got on with friends, non of us had been on it. We got out of the ride and said, lets go have some real fun then rode Simpsons two time sin a row. :D
we actually had more fun on the Silly Simpsons than transformers

Neither one is in my Top 5 rides at Universal Studios Hollywood and that park has 7 rides. Lol

D.Silentu

Disney is suppose to be about cutting edge tech.
Says who? It's part of Disney, but it's not what Disney's all about.
There is merit in both of these thoughts, but I feel it worth adding that if Disney or Univeral is not cutting edge then themed entertainment is stagnant. They're the only two players in the game that have the capital to really move the industry forward. I was pleased with what I saw of Peter Pan as it seems to be a sort of half step in the right direction. At least the ride isn't content to sit still in front of a screen, as its cousin Transformers does. Even so, to make the ride seem novel by this late iteration they need to make good on the implication that we will encounter random heroes each visit. I don't think it's too much to hope for varied locales either, given the possibilities within the ride system. It's not the grand slam that the jetpacks would have been, but it still has the potential to become one of the best rides at DCA.

MistaDee

There is merit in both of these thoughts, but I feel it worth adding that if Disney or Univeral is not cutting edge then themed entertainment is stagnant. They're the only two players in the game that have the capital to really move the industry forward. I was pleased with what I saw of Peter Pan as it seems to be a sort of half step in the right direction. At least the ride isn't content to sit still in front of a screen, as its cousin Transformers does. Even so, to make the ride seem novel by this late iteration they need to make good on the implication that we will encounter random heroes each visit. I don't think it's too much to hope for varied locales either, given the possibilities within the ride system. It's not the grand slam that the jetpacks would have been, but it still has the potential to become one of the best rides at DCA.

Maybe "technologically stagnant" but there is plenty of room for creativity & innovation in themed entertainment that does not rely on hugely capital-intensive technological solutions. Personally, I feel like Disney in particular, but Universal as well have generally been stagnating for decades now, if not punctuated by some great advancements like the improved projection mapping, trackless rides, Kuka arm etc.

I find it fascinating to follow what smaller, lower-budget players in themed entertainment like Meow Wolf, the immersive Peaky Blinders show, or even the now closed Evermore park in Utah.

I always follow the "limited budget" categories of the TEA Thea Awards closely, the Deutchsland museum looks especially cool.

Kinda funny how as Disney has drifted more towards the "entertainment" end of "edutainment," it seems like museums are also trying to add more "entertainment" pizazz to their educational experiences.

CaptinEO

Cutting Edge goes with World Class theme park. Walt was all about cutting edge tech and he loved to show it off. Webslingers isn't cutting edge. I did the exact same ride at Legoland California years before Webslingers opened.

iu
Walt had a circus, carousel, river boats, canoes, and haunted house style dark rides (fantasy land rides) in his park. These were not at all cutting edge technology. Sure you later on get Mr Lincoln and Tiki Room, but that wasn't the entire park.

I think Walt understood how to have a good mix of both tried and true amusement park staples as well as attractions with modern technology.

Phroobar

Walt had a circus, carousel, river boats, canoes, and haunted house style dark rides (fantasy land rides) in his park. These were not at all cutting edge technology. Sure you later on get Mr Lincoln and Tiki Room, but that wasn't the entire park.

I think Walt understood how to have a good mix of both tried and true amusement park staples as well as attractions with modern technology.
Except he always advertised the cutting edge on his show. He was proud of it. The Haunted House featured cutting edge tech. The river boats and canoes set the mood and atmosphere which was cutting edge at the time. No other park at the time had that level of detail. He loved his showmanship too. For a world class theme park today, you need cutting edge tech or you are just a small mid west park. Universal understands this. Disney has forgotten.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Except he always advertised the cutting edge on his show. He was proud of it. The Haunted House featured cutting edge tech. The river boats and canoes set the mood and atmosphere which was cutting edge at the time. No other park at the time had that level of detail. He loved his showmanship too. For a world class theme park today, you need cutting edge tech or you are just a small mid west park. Universal understands this. Disney has forgotten.
I'd argue Disney leans too much into tech these days and its all the imagineers talk about. They'll make some super advance animatronic and make lackluster rides like seven dwarf mine train and navii river journey.

Walt could've replaced all the fantasy land rides with advance animatronics but never did.

Again I think it's good to have a mix of everything.

Phroobar

I'd argue Disney leans too much into tech these days and its all the imagineers talk about. They'll make some super advance animatronic and make lackluster rides like seven dwarf mine train and navii river journey.

Walt could've replaced all the fantasy land rides with advance animatronics but never did.

Again I think it's good to have a mix of everything.
I think is because it is easier to build a super advanced AA then to have the creativity to design a new ride system. They don't have a Bob Gurr anymore who can design something state of the art and keep it running for decades and within budget. Imagineering tends to overbuild and over complicate ride systems.

CaptinEO

I think is because it is easier to build a super advanced AA then to have the creativity to design a new ride system. They don't have a Bob Gurr anymore who can design something state of the art and keep it running for decades and within budget. Imagineering tends to overbuild and over complicate ride systems.
Very true. And just look at Rise of the Resistance, Indiana Jones, and Radiator Springs, which are full of tech but break down multiple times every day.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Very true. And just look at Rise of the Resistance, Indiana Jones, and Radiator Springs, which are full of tech but break down multiple tiles every day.
Maybe they should just stick with twenty year old tech that they were originally designing for the Dick Tracy ride until they ed of the engineer that left for Universal. Every other theme park uses it now. I'm sure they will figure out a way to over complicate it.

Just look at the size of Disneyland's Winnie the Pooh ride vehicle. Do imaginers get paid by the pound? It isn't like that thing bounces like in Tokyo.

iu

Professortango1

Maybe they should just stick with twenty year old tech that they were originally designing for the Dick Tracy ride until they ed of the engineer that left for Universal. Every other theme park uses it now. I'm sure they will figure out a way to over complicate it.

Just look at the size of Disneyland's Winnie the Pooh ride vehicle. Do imaginers get paid by the pound? It isn't like that thing bounces like in Tokyo.

iu
I've always liked the ride vehicle. It makes the ride feel bigger as an outsider.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

If this report from Deadline is true, it basically confirms the Avengers E ticket is happening as well. With all those characters together, chances are they are planning on filming the live action portions of the ride alongside Avengers 5/ Secret Wars.

From Deadline...

Sources close to both [sic] the project say more than 60 MCU characters could reprise their roles, including everyone from Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth and Benedict Cumberbatch to Tom Hiddleston, Simu Liu and Karen Gillian. Unlike the first four films in which there was a core group that consisted of Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Hemsworth and Ruffalo, many of the characters in this film would have equal footing, making it more of an ensemble feature instead of a handful of characters leading the team.

"Sources"

"could"

"both" (both what?)

Even with two part 3-hours-each movies, that's just six minutes of focus on each hero. We're not even up to 60 hero leads counting even the TV shows, let alone "more than 60."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom