Avengers Campus: E-Watch! (Waiting on the new ride)

D.Silentu

So the spoilers coming out of Tokyo are saying Peter Pan is indeed a Spider-Man Scoop like vehicle. That seems like what we should expect for this ride based on the similarities of the ride vehicle shapes
Where are these spoilers posted? As you say, they're likely the best insights we can get at present.

Edit: I did check the Tokyo forum, but didn't see anything beyond what you've stated.

mickEblu

This was shared over on the TDR thread, but a POV for Pan finally dropped. Since The Avengers E ticket will be underpinned by the same ride system, I though it would be relevant to share here:

A little screen heavy for me but charming nevertheless. You have to love that Peter Pan is still getting this much love so many years later. Wish some other classics would get this treatment. Now here is a ride where I would agree needs to be experienced in person to really understand. I don’t feel that way about the Frozen ride.

Curious how this ride system would translate for an Avengers ride. Off the bat I’m not sure I like the fit unless they really crank it up. TBH this ride system would still make Mission Breakout feel like the anchor of the land.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

A little screen heavy for me but charming nevertheless. You have to love that Peter Pan is still getting this much love so many years later. Wish some other classics would get this treatment. Now here is a ride where I would agree needs to be experienced in person to really understand. I don’t feel that way about the Frozen ride.

Curious how this ride system would translate for an Avengers ride. Off the bat I’m not sure I like the fit unless they really crank it up. TBH this ride system would still make Mission Breakout feel like the anchor of the land.
For Avengers I am going to guess they will make the parts that mix screens and practical sets larger, maybe a different track layout, and if they want to go all out a King Thanos AA

mickEblu

For Avengers I am going to guess they will make the parts that mix screens and practical sets larger, maybe a different track layout, and if they want to go all out a King Thanos AA

All that would help for sure but it still just doesn’t feel like the right choice. I’ll consider Avengers a failure if we get off the ride and still feel like Mission Breakout is the anchor or signature attraction in the land. The E ticket based on your gazillion dollar franchise and built in the mid 2020’s needs to kill the rethemed clone of an attraction built in 1994. It’s one thing to mess around with the Spider-Man D ticket shooter but it’s another to drop the ball here. They have to knock it out of the park.

Phroobar

It is a nice ride. Peter's body gestures feel too manic and fast. It is like he is on crack. He has to be waving and doing something at all times. The ride system is just Universal's Spiderman / Transformers ride system. Those rides have been around for twenty years. Other parks have similar systems. It is kind of a let down.

britain

If you think of this as a way to have a flight simulator that occasionally has practical elements come in, then it’s probably a terrific system. If you think of it as a ride through a building, then it’s not impressive.

If you tried to do Indiana Jones in this system, it would be a major downgrade. With Indy (like Mansion/Tower) you are exploring/escaping a building so every tactile experience (not just the effects, but the texture under your feet, the AC, etc) is attributed to “the temple” / “the house” / “the hotel.” Rise does this as well but uses brief simulators to transition from place to place.

Other attractions like Soarin have the sensation of flight as a higher priority than a sense of real tactile space. This new Pan attraction (based on our glimpses) feels more like that, but is trying really hard to not have “unthemed theater” around the edges of the experience like Soarin does.

Somewhere between Rise and Pan you have Uni Spidey which has flight (or swinging) aspirations AND tactile space to explore.

Last edited:

Consumer

This was shared over on the TDR thread, but a POV for Pan finally dropped. Since The Avengers E ticket will be underpinned by the same ride system, I though it would be relevant to share here:

I wasn't expecting to like this after seeing the CG character models and the fact it was so reliant on screens, but this is incredibly charming. I suspect that has far more to do with the IP than the ride system. I cannot see this being anything fun if done for the Avengers.

Phroobar

I wasn't expecting to like this after seeing the CG character models and the fact it was so reliant on screens, but this is incredibly charming. I suspect that has far more to do with the IP than the ride system. I cannot see this being anything fun if done for the Avengers.
True but it just isn't very ground breaking. It is very old Universal.

Professortango1

But hey, if a plain old roller coaster like Big Thunder were built today I wouldn’t mind. Not everything needs to be a new technology.
I don't think the criticism is about the tech being similar to older attractions, it is the fact that the ride looks like a similar experience to a period of Universal attractions which are not very well celebrated in the theme park community. The ride looks a bit flat with too many screens and too few practical effects or show scenes. Big Thunder is nothing new, but it is thrilling, physically present, and features a variety of show scenes with practical effects and the use of projection is used as an enhancement rather than the sole element to be seen.

It might play better in person.

britain

I don't think the criticism is about the tech being similar to older attractions, it is the fact that the ride looks like a similar experience to a period of Universal attractions which are not very well celebrated in the theme park community. The ride looks a bit flat with too many screens and too few practical effects or show scenes. Big Thunder is nothing new, but it is thrilling, physically present, and features a variety of show scenes with practical effects and the use of projection is used as an enhancement rather than the sole element to be seen.

It might play better in person.
It’s true, some technology ages better than others.

Phroobar

Disney is suppose to be about cutting edge tech. There is nothing cutting edge in this Peter Pan ride. We aren't flying but driving around on a motion base. It would be different if the motion base where suspended from above. Also there are no AA figures. I saw only one moving physical object. This feels cheap compared to our current Peter Pan suspended dark ride.

What would feel cutting edge would be the shelved jetpack ride they were planning for Avengers Campus. Everyone is in a individual seat suspended from above and moved from scene to scene independently. Here we are actually flying with Peter Pan and not sitting in a boat that is driving around watching movies.

Last edited:

britain

I think it looks like a fun ride, but not nearly as charming and as timeless as the old original version.

Kids like models, it’s fun to pretend that the model is “way far down there.” It’s so obvious it requires you to play along. Walt knew this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom