Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

DKampy

It just got nominated for Golden Globes for Best Motion Picture, Drama and Best Director.
Has me wondering if it could get nominated for best picture Oscar…usually the drama category feel like the 5 top movies… and a lot of years end up being among the best picture nominees at the Oscars… where as the golden globes comedy movie nominees always feel like here are 5 more nominees and can be iffy… so it is promising it is in the Drama category

TP2000

Has me wondering if it could get nominated for best picture Oscar…usually the drama category feel like the 5 top movies… and a lot of years end up being among the best picture nominees at the Oscars… where as the golden globes comedy movie nominees always feel like here are 5 more nominees and can be iffy… so it is promising it is in the Drama category

I would love to see two things:
  1. Avatar 2 do blockbuster business. Burbank needs that!
  2. Avatar 2 to get nominated for Best Picture, if only to prove Best Picture Oscars can still go to blockbuster movies.

Jedijax719

Once again, though, while Avatar 2 will do huge bucks, it won't do anything for theaters UNLESS more movies are made with the spectacular visuals in different settings and worlds. If Avatar and Cameron hold all the eggs in their own baskets, the expectation on what everything else should look like will be SKY high. Thus, an unfair bar will be set and everything else will pale in comparison. It's not going to propel 3D movies back to the frontline. That day has passed. 3D will be something reserved for Avatar alone.

Phroobar

I wonder how much of the take Burbank will get. If Cameron is anything like Lucas, Burbank will get a small distribution take while Cameron will take the lion's share since I believe it is mostly self funded. However we don't know any of the details on these numbers.

CaptainAmerica

Embargo just lifted. Reviews incoming:

"As The Way of Water dives further and further into its mythology, it tries the generosity (and, maybe, patience) of even the most supportive viewer. There is a lot of goofy lore introduced here, terms and ideas tossed around by eager kids and snarling adults until the movie is utterly deluged in world-building. If Way of Water loses its grip on some viewers and lets them drift away, others will steadfastly hold on, increasingly invested in the old-fashioned, bombastic sincerity that has become Cameron’s signature style."

yes-soccer.gif

Goofy lore? Deluge of world-building? Bombastic sincerity?

Hell yeah boys, we back.

Disney Analyst

Now showing 85% on 96 reviews.

It's 3 points above the original, so it could go down, but seems close enough to be in a similar realm critically as the first.

So the question becomes, does it have the same legs?

"So much is riding on 'Avatar: The Way Of Water,' and thankfully the early reaction to the film is off the charts," Paul Dergarabedian, Comscore's senior media analyst, told Insider. "This is great news for theaters that have been looking for a proper blockbuster to take us out of 2022 and into 2023 with some much-needed box office momentum."

Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at Box Office Pro, thinks "The Way of Water" could open in the US with between $150 million and $180 million, which would be more than the first movie's opening weekend of $77 million.

But "Avatar" wasn't a massive success because of its opening weekend. It had impressively strong legs throughout its nearly eight-month initial theatrical run — an unheard of amount of time for a movie to play in theaters today. Its box office dropped just 2% in its second weekend, for instance.

If "The Way of Water" can carry similar momentum week-to-week, it will make most of its money in 2023 — a good way to start the new year after a troubling 2022 for the film industry.

The theatrical market has shown few signs of a recovery coming out of the pandemic — the biggest being the performance of "Top Gun: Maverick," which is currently the highest-grossing movie of the year both in the US and worldwide.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's 3 points above the original, so it could go down, but seems close enough to be in a similar realm critically as the first.

So the question becomes, does it have the same legs?

One thing it has going for it, it doesn't have much competition for a while.

Disney Analyst

One thing it has going for it, it doesn't have much competition for a while.

For sure, but as someone who missed Avatar the first time around... I had NO idea that it was an 8 month run? That is crazy.

Is there any chance this movie has the same legs in order to build up to the total it needs to break even?

Or is the box office so different now that you don't need 8 months to hit 4th highest grossing of all time?

jeangreyforever

For sure, but as someone who missed Avatar the first time around... I had NO idea that it was an 8 month run? That is crazy.

Is there any chance this movie has the same legs in order to build up to the total it needs to break even?

Or is the box office so different now that you don't need 8 months to hit 4th highest grossing of all time?
It was a very different time then. 3D was booming (in part because of Avatar's success) and Marvel was just in its infancy and certainly not running the box office. The biggest blockbusters back then had been franchises like Pirates of the Caribbean and The Lord of the Rings, or kids movies like The Lion King, Finding Nemo, and Shrek 2.

Disney Analyst

It was a very different time then. 3D was booming (in part because of Avatar's success) and Marvel was just in its infancy and certainly not running the box office. The biggest blockbusters back then had been franchises like Pirates of the Caribbean and The Lord of the Rings, or kids movies like The Lion King, Finding Nemo, and Shrek 2.

It feels all very hard to predict what will happen this go around.

Wendy Pleakley

Titanic was number one at the box office for 15 weeks. James Cameron always defies expectations.

People still claim Avatar had no cultural impact or wasn't well liked. As if people didn't like it but went to see it for months and months for reasons?

I think this one will have legs as well. Like I noted before, the long run time means less showings overall, and a lot of people will wait to see it rather than take the super late show option.

I'm guessing its' numbers fall somewhere between the Top Gun sequel and the original Avatar. I'm also guessing anything less than matching the original will bring out a vocal minority insisting the movie is a dud (source: see reaction to Star Wars follow-ups).

DCBaker

Premium Member
"And so it begins. Thirteen years after the first Avatar arrived in movie theaters, conquered and continued to conquer the global box office as the highest release of all-time with $2.9 billion worldwide, Avatar: The Way of Water, the sequel to the James Cameron directed 3x Oscar winning 3D sci-fi movie arrives with a global outlook of $525M in what is Disney’s widest global release ever at 52K screens, surpassing Avengers: Endgame.

Broken out that’s $175M on the high end in U.S./Canada and $350M overseas. Some tracking has Avatar: The Way of Water at $150M and if the movie arrives at the low level, it’s not the end of the world. Read why further down. The offshore tickets sales are comprised of $250M plus another $100M from China; always the variable market."

More analysis from Deadline at the link below -

Slpy3270

"And so it begins. Thirteen years after the first Avatar arrived in movie theaters, conquered and continued to conquer the global box office as the highest release of all-time with $2.9 billion worldwide, Avatar: The Way of Water, the sequel to the James Cameron directed 3x Oscar winning 3D sci-fi movie arrives with a global outlook of $525M in what is Disney’s widest global release ever at 52K screens, surpassing Avengers: Endgame.

Broken out that’s $175M on the high end in U.S./Canada and $350M overseas. Some tracking has Avatar: The Way of Water at $150M and if the movie arrives at the low level, it’s not the end of the world. Read why further down. The offshore tickets sales are comprised of $250M plus another $100M from China; always the variable market."

More analysis from Deadline at the link below -

No wonder Universal bumped Super Mario to April.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom