Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

Ghost93

I've been seeing a lot of comparisons to Top Gun Maverick in terms of it feeling like a pleasant throwback to classic blockbuster filmmaking (instead of the generic, assembly-line super hero stuff) and for being a movie that is really elevated by the big screen experience.

I'm pretty hyped.

I also think this movie might have more popularity among families compared to the first one since so many of the new cast members are children and there seems to be a pretty big emphasis on "family" in the marketing. Maybe it will strike the right chord this holiday season.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
"We're using [high frame rate] to improve the 3D where we want a heightened sense of presence, such as underwater or in some of the flying scenes," Cameron said. "For shots of just people standing around talking, [high frame rate] works against us because it creates a kind of a hyper realism in scenes that are more mundane, more normal. And sometimes we need that cinematic feeling of 24fps (frames per second)."

Most theaters don't have the capabilities to handle the different frame rates necessary for "The Way of Water." But Cameron found a cheat.

"Can theaters support variable frame rate, switching back and forth within the movie between 24fps and 48fps? The answer is no, they just run it at 48fps," Cameron said. "In any part of the scene that we want at 24fps, we just double the frames. And so, they actually show the same frame twice, but the viewer doesn't see it that way. And so, we're essentially using a simple hack to use the high frame rate platform that already exists."

Cameron's "hack" could avoid the kind of divisive audience reaction that the last major film to toy with high frame rate received. Director Peter Jackson wanted to shoot "The Hobbit" at 48fps rather than the industry standard of 24fps to present a sharper image. But it was met with mixed reviews.

Jedijax719

I have a tough time grasping the whole concept of what this movie and its predecessor accomplishes for the movie industry in general. The reason I say that is the whole "you HAVE to see THIS movie in 3D!" mindset. Yeah, I get THAT. However, this immersive 3D event doesn't seem to be making an impact on Hollywood in general and only really seems to exist in amongst itself. It's like an extremely unfair advantage the movie has over anything else as was the first one. If the tech is not "shared" by anything else, then how is it even competitive and, when it's gone sometime in the spring, we're no better off in Hollywood than we were before it (and since the pandemic). So, therefore, EVERYTHING will be compared to the spectacle that is Avatar and in an unfair way.

TP2000

Well, it only took them like a decade, right?

I remember when Airport from 1970 had its network TV debut as the Movie Of The Week. It was about 1974, and it was a big deal. Dean Martin as the pilot, Jaqueline Bisset as the first class (and pregnant!) stewardess, Helen Hayes as the stowaway. I distinctly remember the home in suburban Seattle I was invited to for the viewing party; a sunken living room with mint green brocade sofas, and the hostess wore palazzo pants. It was must-see TV! And the film was only 4 years old.

So what took them so long for Avatar? 🤔

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

I remember when Airport from 1970 had its network TV debut as the Movie Of The Week. It was about 1974, and it was a big deal. Dean Martin as the pilot, Jaqueline Bisset as the first class (and pregnant!) stewardess, Helen Hayes as the stowaway. I distinctly remember the home in suburban Seattle I was invited to for the viewing party; a sunken living room with mint green brocade sofas, and the hostess wore palazzo pants. It was must-see TV! And the film was only 4 years old.

Is this your thing now?

With glowing preview reviews and nothing else to use against the film, you're now going to post non-stop about how long it took (even though, if you ever bother to read the links, you'd have your answer) and spin that into some sort of defect of the sequel?

"I'm implying it must be bad because they took their time to make it... somehow!!!!"

Stop trollishly making up conspiracies.

Sharon&Susan

Is this your thing now?

With glowing preview reviews and nothing else to use against the film, you're now going to post non-stop about how long it took (even though, if you ever bother to read the links, you'd have your answer) and spin that into some sort of defect of the sequel?

"I'm implying it must be bad because they took their time to make it... somehow!!!!"

Stop trollishly making up conspiracies.
Did you and I read a different comment? I don't see anything about the sequel in TP's post that you quoted or even implying that either of the Avatar movies are bad movies.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Did you and I read a different comment? I don't see anything about the sequel in TP's post that you quoted or even implying that either of the Avatar movies are bad movies.
Uhhhhh.... he talked about "10 years to make it." It being *the sequel*.

Then he ended with a question. An innocent question. Because he sincerely wants to know. And he probably couldn't believe it in the links that he assiduously paid attention to in the post he was quoting that gave the answer, but, he just wants to be sure, because he's only interested in the art and craft of filmmaking...

"So what took them so long?"

So, when he points out how other sequels came out faster, you don't see that he's referencing the Avatar *sequel* as taken longer. Because it's been **so long**?

He's teeing up what he always does. What he thinks is a slam-dunk critique of a Disney product because he wants to be the grand-uncle of the Kool Kidz Club that they can say mean things about stuff other people like.

And watch, he'll bring it up again. First, while talking about what type of martini he's sipping for that air of sophistication. And he'll slip in the wait for the sequel which implies that the sequel has some sort of nebulous character flaw.

And the fact I'm bringing this up won't stop him. He'll do it and think it's cool precisely because he thinks it's funny or will gain social traction. A beachhead to mount the assault on Avatar 2.

It's what he does. Over and over and over again.

You never noticed?

Sharon&Susan

Uhhhhh.... he talked about "10 years to make it." It being *the sequel*.

Then he ended with a question. An innocent question. Because he sincerely wants to know. And he probably couldn't believe it in the links that he assiduously paid attention to in the post he was quoting that gave the answer, but, he just wants to be sure, because he's only interested in the art and craft of filmmaking...

"So what took them so long?"

So, when he points out how other sequels came out faster, you don't see that he's referencing the Avatar *sequel* as taken longer. Because it's been **so long**?

He's teeing up what he always does. What he thinks is a slam-dunk critique of a Disney product because he wants to be the grand-uncle of the Kool Kidz Club that they can say mean things about stuff other people like.

And watch, he'll bring it up again. First, while talking about what type of martini he's sipping for that air of sophistication. And he'll slip in the wait for the sequel which implies that the sequel has some sort of nebulous character flaw.

And the fact I'm bringing this up won't stop him. He'll do it and think it's cool precisely because he thinks it's funny or will gain social traction. A beachhead to mount the assault on Avatar 2.

You never noticed?
I get that TP can be annoying to you at times, but I understood him as referring to the news of the network debut of the first Avatar movie that was in your first post. I don't see how his anecdote about watching the network debut of the first Airport movie on TV would connect otherwise.

Last edited:

TP2000

I've never seen them, so I wouldn't know if they're good or bad. The only thing about Avatar I've ever really talked about on these forums is how I've never gotten a blue alien at my door on Halloween. For as big as the box office was for Avatar, the kids don't seem that into it.

Maybe that will change with Avatar 2 and next Halloween we'll all have blue aliens on our doorsteps?

Usually I make fun of the stuff people don't like. Like Lightyear, or now Strange World.

Box office bombs are mostly my thing.

You never noticed?

I'm confused. What else are we supposed to do here? This isn't a macrame' club where we're making pot holders, it's a discussion board. To discuss the details of the Walt Disney Company like the nerdy nerds that we are.

Over and over and over again. 😁

TP2000

I get that TP can be annoying to you at times, but I understood him as referring to the network debut of the first Avatar movie that was in your first post. I don't see how his anecdote about watching the network debut of the first Airport movie on TV would connect otherwise.

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you for getting it, ladies. :)

And Airport is still a really good movie. I have it on Blu-Ray now, so I don't have to wait for a hostess wearing palazzo pants to invite me over to her sunken living room for the Movie Of The Week any longer. Now it's on demand!

Phroobar

The original Star Wars took seven years to be shown on CBS. They had a making of special before it to round out the three hour event. It got beat in the ratings by the racy miniseries Lace with Bess Armstrong, Brooke Adams and Phoebe Cates.

Last edited:

Ghost93

I've never seen them, so I wouldn't know if they're good or bad. The only thing about Avatar I've ever really talked about on these forums is how I've never gotten a blue alien at my door on Halloween. For as big as the box office was for Avatar, the kids don't seem that into it.

Maybe that will change with Avatar 2 and next Halloween we'll all have blue aliens on our doorsteps?
I suspect the lack of Na'vi costumes are because the Na'vi wear almost nothing but a loincloth and it's often really cold around Halloween. People also may be self-conscious if they are not in great shape.

Jedijax719

Phroobar

Wow, they're going nuts with projections one week before release. They're talking No Way Home/Endgame-type numbers now!
M3GAN looks great! It's like A.I. meets Chucky. I love Blumhouse movies. It would make a killer HHN maze next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom