Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

erasure fan1

Wow, they're going nuts with projections one week before release. They're talking No Way Home/Endgame-type numbers now!
They are marketing it that way for sure. Every ad I see is making it as a must see event. And with the time between movies, it is. For me the biggest question with Avatar is going to be the 3rd movie. I've said from the start this movie should do well. If for nothing but the curiosity of it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
@wdwmagic have you heard of any cross promotion being done in the parks?

I mean we had a Tron monorail that ran for almost a decade (I kid). I'm shocked that nothing is planned?

Here's video introducing a new Tree of Life projection debuting in Animal Kingdom on December 12th -

"If you have enjoyed walking through the Valley of Mo’ara and other experiences at Pandora – The World of Avatar in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, you may want to consider attending when the sun has set. For a limited time beginning Dec. 12, the Tree of Life will awaken in the evenings with an all-new experience inspired by Pandora – The World of Avatar and the film, “Avatar: The Way of Water.” Produced by Lightstorm Entertainment in collaboration with Disney Live Entertainment, this new story sequence illuminates the park’s iconic Tree of Life with the magic of nature."

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

A lot of people loved having Star Wars releases over the holiday period. Like SW, Avatar should draw all demographics for multiple weeks (which is typical of Cameron films in general).

I'm still undecided on seeing this in the theater. Over three hours plus commercials. Ugh.

Jedijax719

A lot of people loved having Star Wars releases over the holiday period. Like SW, Avatar should draw all demographics for multiple weeks (which is typical of Cameron films in general).

I'm still undecided on seeing this in the theater. Over three hours plus commercials. Ugh.
That's where I am at. My wife and daughter have zero interest in it. It I do see it, it will either be by myself of with my brother in law.

Monster hits (like this one will be) always have something unique that makes them what they are. The Avatar movies have the visuals. BP1 was a culture milestone. The SW movies had the nostalgia thing. Avengers 1 had the first superhero ensemble and IW/EG had the long-awaited battle with Thanos which delivered. NWH had ( I guess) the union of all Spidey films in the past 20 years. Titanic had multipler facets (romance, action, disaster films of the 70's throwback, period piece).

To be honest, I have NO idea how or why Top Gun Maverick was as big as it was. Nostalgia? Dunno about that-I was a teen when the first one came out and didn't see it until years later. Never "got" it.

Ghost93

If there is ANY movie that must be seen in a theater, it's Avatar! I truly believe that unless you have seen Avatar in a theater, in 3D, you have never truly seen it. It's a completely different experience than at home. It's so immersive and transportive. And I'm sure the sequels will be even more breathtaking in this regard.

TP2000

I'm astounded at the 3:10 hour running time for this. With previews and such, that means people will be in a theater for about three and a half hours. I'd get antsy at the two hour mark, even if the movie was fabulous.

That said, there really seems to be huge interest in this movie! Here's the same swanky multiplex a few miles east of Disneyland that I've used in other threads where I cherry pick 🍒 stats and data to discuss. This is a mid-evening showing this Thursday in one of their big 3D theaters with reserved lounger chairs. It's nearly sold out!

NearlySoldOutAlready.jpg

Ghost93

I'm astounded at the 3:10 hour running time for this. With previews and such, that means people will be in a theater for about three and a half hours. I'd get antsy at the two hour mark, even if the movie was fabulous.

That said, there really seems to be huge interest in this movie! Here's the same swanky multiplex a few miles east of Disneyland that I've used in other threads where I cherry pick 🍒 stats and data to discuss. This is a mid-evening showing this Thursday in one of their big 3D theaters with reserved lounger chairs. It's nearly sold out!
I think it's selling well because Avatar is the kind of movie that MUST be seen in theaters. The whole point is to be IMMERSED in the world of Pandora and that's something you don't get by streaming a movie on your laptop.

The review embargo lifts tomorrow so we'll have an idea of the overall critical consensus by the end of the day. But it's encouraging that Avatar: The Way of Water has been nominated for Best Picture by the Golden Globes and was named a top 10 film of 2022 by the American Film Institute.

Figments Friend

I highly recommend seeing this in a movie theatre, and in 3D.
Nothing compares.

This is more then a mere movie…it is a experience that needs to be seen on a giant screen and a awesome sound system.
Trust me.

🙂

-

Figments Friend

Totally pumped.
I am a fan, and loved the first film.
Saw the re-release in September, and it’s still stunning.
Cannot wait for the next chapter ….on Friday!

This is going to break even more records, methinks.
Looking forward to watching it all happen…..yet again.
Cameron keeps proving the naysayers wrong….and a love every minute of it.

Let’s go, boy!
Forward!

-

jeangreyforever

I remember there was a push for Zoe Saldaña to be nominated for the first Avatar movie. I can't see Hollywood nominating a motion-capture performance (they've snubbed Andy Serkis as well), but Saldaña netting a nomination would have been well-deserved. It doesn't look like Kate Winslet or Sigourney Weaver have a shot this year for the sequel.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Totally pumped.
I am a fan, and loved the first film.
Saw the re-release in September, and it’s still stunning.
Cannot wait for the next chapter ….on Friday!

This is going to break even more records, methinks.
Looking forward to watching it all happen…..yet again.
Cameron keeps proving the naysayers wrong….and a love every minute of it.

Let’s go, boy!
Forward!

-

I saw the original movie in the theaters twice and really like it. Bought the Blue Ray, never watched it and haven't watched the movie all the ay through since then. It just didn't stay with me. I have seen nothing in the trailers that makes me want to see this. Story wise it seems to just be a re-hash of the first movie.

Wendy Pleakley

I think it's selling well because Avatar is the kind of movie that MUST be seen in theaters. The whole point is to be IMMERSED in the world of Pandora and that's something you don't get by streaming a movie on your laptop.

The review embargo lifts tomorrow so we'll have an idea of the overall critical consensus by the end of the day. But it's encouraging that Avatar: The Way of Water has been nominated for Best Picture by the Golden Globes and was named a top 10 film of 2022 by the American Film Institute.

I highly recommend seeing this in a movie theatre, and in 3D.
Nothing compares.

This is more then a mere movie…it is a experience that needs to be seen on a giant screen and a awesome sound system.
Trust me.

🙂

-

I don't dispute this and I did enjoy the first in the theater.

It's just so loooong.

Wendy Pleakley

Because of the run time late shows are at 10:00 or 10:30. Those don't seem to be selling well near me at all. You'd be getting out at 2:00 am so makes sense.

It shouldn't matter. Cameron movies tend to do long-term business, and I don't think there will be a sense of need to rush for this one. It's not something I'd consider prone to spoilers like Star Wars or Marvel. It's more of an experience.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Because of the run time late shows are at 10:00 or 10:30. Those don't seem to be selling well near me at all. You'd be getting out at 2:00 am so makes sense.

It shouldn't matter. Cameron movies tend to do long-term business, and I don't think there will be a sense of need to rush for this one. It's not something I'd consider prone to spoilers like Star Wars or Marvel. It's more of an experience.
I'm going to a 10:15p showing. I'll be taking a nap before the movie..... 💤

Jedijax719

You are definitely correct about that BUT we only have two special instances to go by: Titanic and Avatar. What were the reasons for their long term success? Well, the latter was mostly true-no urgency due to no spoiler risk. But then again, what was it about those two that kep them going for so long? It was the theatrical experience and magnitude of visuals (along with the romance for Titanic).

This will be a fun box office to watch, that's for sure. But then again, I thought that BPWF was going to have a more interesting run than it has so who knows.

Disney Analyst

I’m going to a 10:20 pm showing 😅

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom