Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

Ghost93

The world premiere in London is today. The social media embargo lifts at 6 p.m. EST tonight. So we should have some indication whether Avatar: The Way of Water is a good film or not tonight.

erasure fan1

The world premiere in London is today. The social media embargo lifts at 6 p.m. EST tonight. So we should have some indication whether Avatar: The Way of Water is a good film or not tonight.
I'm guessing they feel pretty confident. If they're lifting the review embargo this early, they must feel good about it.

Wendy Pleakley

James Cameron has an impeccable track record. There's no reason to doubt this won't be entertaining.

Avatar wasn't my favourite Cameron movie. The length didn't quite justify the amount of story and character it contained. The story was a bit simplistic.

The big airborne action finale was worth the price of admission alone. It was just a 10-minute action sequence that was fun from start to finish.

Will this sequel also be too long and too simple for my tastes? Maybe. Will it still be more entertaining that 99% of movies? I expect so.

CaptainAmerica

Screenshot_20221207-073521.png

Jedijax719

Streaming found dead in a ditch until this and BPWF come out and revive it.

Btw, isn't "high refresh rate" a fancy way of saying "soap opera effect"?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Streaming found dead in a ditch until this and BPWF come out and revive it.
The point is that this movie was created to be a special experience in the theater. It's not that The Way of Water is must-watch, it's that The Way of Water is must-watch-in-a-theater-preferably-in-PLF-3D.

Btw, isn't "high refresh rate" a fancy way of saying "soap opera effect"?
Soap opera effect is when a modern TV processes an image that was filmed in a low framerate and artificially inserts additional frames to smooth the image for a high refresh-rate display. This is useful to reduce motion blur in sports, but makes TV and movies (which are traditionally shot at 24 FPS) look weird.

That's different than when the content is filmed in high refresh rate in the first place.

Jedijax719

The point is that this movie was created to be a special experience in the theater. It's not that The Way of Water is must-watch, it's that The Way of Water is must-watch-in-a-theater-preferably-in-PLF-3D.

Soap opera effect is when a modern TV processes an image that was filmed in a low framerate and artificially inserts additional frames to smooth the image for a high refresh-rate display. This is useful to reduce motion blur in sports, but makes TV and movies (which are traditionally shot at 24 FPS) look weird.

That's different than when the content is filmed in high refresh rate in the first place.
I have to say, I really liked that soap opera look on our 2010 TV. Then we got a 120 hz tv last year and the natural motion was SO much better!

Personally, I never noticed a difference in the Hobbit movies in the theaters compared to other movies.

Still torn about whether to see Avatar2 in the theater. It's not about whether it will look cool or not. It's about devoting 3 hours to it and considering our daughter, 11, does not want to see it.

CaptainAmerica

I have to say, I really liked that soap opera look on our 2010 TV. Then we got a 120 hz tv last year and the natural motion was SO much better!

Personally, I never noticed a difference in the Hobbit movies in the theaters compared to other movies.

Still torn about whether to see Avatar2 in the theater. It's not about whether it will look cool or not. It's about devoting 3 hours to it and considering our daughter, 11, does not want to see it.
I'm not a big cinema person myself, but this one feels sufficiently spectacle-y for me to pull the trigger. I wouldn't go to a random showing in a crappy auditorium for a movie this big and long, but if you have a theater with a good screen, good sound, and some comfy recliner-type seats, I think it's worth it. There will be tons of extended family around for the holiday season so my wife and I will be able to enjoy it without the kids (8/5/2).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom