Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

Ghost93

Avatar is all about legs. The original opened to nothing spectacular, but word of mouth and incredible legs helped it reach its historical milestone.
Unlike Marvel or Star Wars, the appeal of Avatar is more about the immersive, transportive experience. So there is less of a need to rush out opening weekend to avoid spoilers.

That could change with Avatar 3 and beyond, but right now I think more people are set on wanting to see Avatar: The Way of Water in a premium theater screen rather than seeing it opening night, regardless of where you are seated, to avoid spoilers.

Wendy Pleakley

So should I see this movie in standard, IMAX, IMAX 3D, Dolby or Dolby 3D?

I'm going for Laser Ultra 3D and if you're wondering what the difference is between that and regular 3D, it's about $3 extra added to the ticket price.

One thing I will say is that the last movie I saw in IMAX, the volume was excessively loud. I don't know if that's an IMAX thing or just a specific theater thing but I wasn't impressed. The picture was certainly crystal clear though.

Personally, given the run time I'm sticking with theaters that have recliner seating as opposed to the biggest screen, IMAX or otherwise.

mickEblu

I'm going for Laser Ultra 3D and if you're wondering what the difference is between that and regular 3D, it's about $3 extra added to the ticket price.

One thing I will say is that the last movie I saw in IMAX, the volume was excessively loud. I don't know if that's an IMAX thing or just a specific theater thing but I wasn't impressed. The picture was certainly crystal clear though.

Personally, given the run time I'm sticking with theaters that have recliner seating as opposed to the biggest screen, IMAX or otherwise.

I agree. I saw the new Minions movie in IMAX and it was ear shattering loud. I had recently seen a different movie in Dolby and came to the conclusion I preferred Dolby. Especially when it’s not the traditional humongous IMAX screen

Slpy3270

Avatar is all about legs. The original opened to nothing spectacular, but word of mouth and incredible legs helped it reach its historical milestone.
Except this is 2022. Far less people are going to the theater now than they were back then (there are reports Way of Water is running behind the original by not-insignificant margins in some countries). Not only in the US but worldwide. Opening weekends now matter more than ever because of it. There's zero chance we'll ever get another Avengers: Endgame record for a long time.

Even if the movie holds better than Marvel, DC and Star Wars movies on weekend 2, assuming Cameron's statement that the movie needs to gross $2 billion+ to break even is true and not a joke, this film was a flop before it was even finished. And for all the talk that there's "no competition" for the next two months, what happens if PIB: TLW and M3GAN end up overperforming tracking estimates? Way of Water may not even crack $1.5 billion if that happens.

If I were Iger I would prepare for the possibility of not making it beyond 2023.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Except this is 2022. Far less people are going to the theater now than they were back then (there are reports Way of Water is running behind the original by not-insignificant margins in some countries). Not only in the US but worldwide. Opening weekends now matter more than ever because of it. There's zero chance we'll ever get another Avengers: Endgame record for a long time.

Even if the movie holds better than Marvel, DC and Star Wars movies on weekend 2, assuming Cameron's statement that the movie needs to gross $2 billion+ to break even is true and not a joke, this film was a flop before it was even finished. And for all the talk that there's "no competition" for the next two months, what happens if PIB: TLW and M3GAN end up overperforming tracking estimates? Way of Water may not even crack $1.5 billion if that happens.

If I were Iger I would prepare for the possibility of not making it beyond 2023.

Very doom and gloom outlook for sure. Haven’t seen any of the box office reports state such doom yet.

I guess we really won’t know until the run ends :)

Jedijax719

Legs are one thing and for a $260 m opening during COVID, No Way Home had decent legs. Top Gun Maverick had unthinkable legs. But even since then things have changed. 3.5X-4.0X is probably expected for Avatar 2 legs. That would give it about $540-$550 m domestic. Great number! But far below expectations from the industry and projection sites.

World wide? Who knows? I cannot wrap my head around WW any more. Maybe $1.5-$1.8 billion?

Slpy3270

Legs are one thing and for a $260 m opening during COVID, No Way Home had decent legs. Top Gun Maverick had unthinkable legs. But even since then things have changed. 3.5X-4.0X is probably expected for Avatar 2 legs. That would give it about $540-$550 m domestic. Great number! But far below expectations from the industry and projection sites.

World wide? Who knows? I cannot wrap my head around WW any more. Maybe $1.5-$1.8 billion?
Some Very Serious Hollywood pundits were predicting a $200 million opening weekend domestically, but I cannot find a single reputable box office site that projected that. There was zero chance it was going to make that much.

As far to why some international markets are crapping up, I believe the culprit is Europe and Japan dealing with record inflation and economic contraction that they weren't dealing with in 2009-10. The fact that the movie isn't even releasing in Russia, one of the largest European cinema markets, due to Disney pausing operations there (no points for guessing as to why that is) isn't helping.

Ghost93

James Cameron's quote about it needing to be one the top grossing films of all time is taken way out of context because one movie needing to make $2 billion to break even makes ZERO sense. The movie costs $350-$400 million, so the movie actually needs to make $800 million to $1 billion to break even. Cameroon is likely referring either to the domestic box office or to the costs of Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 (which were filmed simultaneously) combined.

Slpy3270

James Cameron's quote about it needing to be one the top grossing films of all time is taken way out of context because one movie needing to make $2 billion to break even makes ZERO sense. The movie costs $350-$400 million, so the movie actually needs to make $800 million to $1 billion to break even.
If it barely reaches that mark Disney will start asserting control Avatar 3 and demand Cameron cut costs, which, knowing who Cameron is, he will never agree with that.

erasure fan1

James Cameron's quote about it needing to be one the top grossing films of all time is taken way out of context because one movie needing to make $2 billion to break even makes ZERO sense. The movie costs $350-$400 million, so the movie actually needs to make $800 million to $1 billion to break even. Cameroon is likely referring either to the domestic box office or to the costs of Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 (which were filmed simultaneously) combined.
If you figure it out on the high side of 3x the budget, you are at 1 to 1.2 billion. It's still a lot to have to hit to break even. But the 2 billion was James making headlines in my opinion. It's him drumming up the old, let's see what all the fuss is about, technique.

BrianLo

Now I don’t think Christmas timing is actually very good for the second weekend. I think I recall it’s better for Christmas to be mid week than fall on the weekend, but maybe I’m misremembering. Sunday numbers next week will be good, but perhaps poor Saturday ones.

Just to get ahead of inevitable conclusions.

CaptainAmerica

Now I don’t think Christmas timing is actually very good for the second weekend. I think I recall it’s better for Christmas to be mid week than fall on the weekend, but maybe I’m misremembering. Sunday numbers next week will be good, but perhaps poor Saturday ones.

I read somebody say that all analysis is basically useless on this one until January 3.

Jedijax719

I read somebody say that all analysis is basically useless on this one until January 3.
I wouldn't say absolutely useless, but this one may drive differently through the holidays than a SW or MCU movie. The first one had the legs it had because it was a new property and took time to spread WOM (along with the new tech that was unseen at the time). But as many said before, this one also doesn't have the "have to see immediately" urgency due to spoilers. It's going to be mid-week numbers that drive it mostly since the Eves are on Saturdays.

All that said, this movie should have a greater portion of its total box office run completed by New Years than the first one did or probably even The Force Awakens did. People just seem to be so massively busy these days. I think a 3.5-4.0 multiplier is probably a good bet. Could be higher for sure, but probably not any lower. With a $140 m OW, that puts the domestic total between $490 m and $560 m. Due to the international appeal (although Japan is looking lower than expected), the movie could make 60-65% of its total overseas. I'm going to estimate between $1.4 billion (very low) to $1.8 billion WW when all is said and done. We'll if this holds up.

Ghost93

Christmas day will make money but Christmas eve taking place on a Saturday will hurt the box office.

MrPromey

Even though it was 3 hours, I was never bored. While the story is pretty standard, I think the characters are much more interesting than they were in the first film. I was emotionally invested throughout.

If you HAVE to go to the bathroom, I would recommend doing so at some point in the second hour, when the Sully family is learning how to adapt to the lifestyle of the water tribe. While these sequences are well done, they arent as essential to understanding the story like the entirety of the first hour or the exhilarating action-packed third hour.

My alternate suggestion is to buy a large soda, drink fast, and then you have everything you need right there in the theater and you don't miss a moment!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom