FettFan

I am still under the impression Avatar Land is a way to get Beastly Kingdom in while having someone else pay for it. Avatar is just a fad movie....there is no way it will have the same cultural impact as Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, etc.

So....Disney gets James Cameron on board to help finance the thing. Then, once the Avatar nonsense has died down, they just overlay it with actual mythological creatures. Just take one of the Avatar pterodactyls, rip off the "Avatarish" parts and voila, you have the basis for a dragon.

twebber55

Only in your eyes. Adds more rides and things to do in the park that desperately needs some attractions while 80% of the theme park goers won't care about Avatar being in Animal Kingdom rather they'll think it's cool. It's the sad truth, Magenta.
Your totally wrong! Its more like 98% not 80%

twebber55

I am still under the impression Avatar Land is a way to get Beastly Kingdom in while having someone else pay for it. Avatar is just a fad movie....there is no way it will have the same cultural impact as Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, etc.

So....Disney gets James Cameron on board to help finance the thing. Then, once the Avatar nonsense has died down, they just overlay it with actual mythological creatures. Just take one of the Avatar pterodactyls, rip off the "Avatarish" parts and voila, you have the basis for a dragon.
i dont think there is one actual truth in your statement..not trying to be a prick but JC is not footing the bill..maybe you re being sarcastic..if so i apologize

lazyboy97o

Only in your eyes. Adds more rides and things to do in the park that desperately needs some attractions while 80% of the theme park goers won't care about Avatar being in Animal Kingdom rather they'll think it's cool. It's the sad truth, Magenta.
Your totally wrong! Its more like 98% not 80%
Then why even bother with the expense of a larger themed experience if people do not know or care? It can't just be about rides.

matt9112

i like the idea of mysterious island it looks really cool and has a great e ticket...btw the same guy that created the rock work for MI is doing the rock work for pandora (zholt hormay)
I just love the steam punk theme it looks amazing in Tokyo and would be a great tie in.

On a side note am I the only one that wishes the dinosaur area were larger....maybe slightly more serous tones..I don't even mind the carnival rides...just the theme...

Lastly anything will be better than what is currently there now....a defunct camp mini.

Beholder

For myself, I find this debate particularly frustrating. I'm conflicted in what I think should happen and what will (?) happen. Should I be more upset that Pandora/Avatar is coming or that if not for this, nothing would be happening. AK NEEDS additions, no doubt. But does this need necessitate the inclusion of an out of place ip?

I just hope for the best and look forward to seeing for myself the result.

matt9112

You know avatar was one of the biggest movies.....ever....and the only reason it can be called a fad is because unlike the IPs you mentioned a new movie isn't around the corner every few years....there's a lot more world to Star Wars......6 movies of stuff....and countless books ect. Avatar as a universe has staying power if implemented. And I would much rather be emersed in pandora than dragons...and dungeons.

Beholder

I just love the steam punk theme it looks amazing in Tokyo and would be a great tie in.

On a side note am I the only one that wishes the dinosaur area were larger....maybe slightly more serous tones..I don't even mind the carnival rides...just the theme...

Lastly anything will be better than what is currently there now....a defunct camp mini.

The dinosaur element should be about 3 times the size it is now. 100% underutilized mega fauna that requires no outsourcing of material or partnering with another's ip to create what could potentially be the most awe inspiring land. Ever. Throw in marine dinosaurs and it'd be the greatest park at WDW.

Just my opinion, but I love me some prehistoric critters.

rodmansju

As for what I'd rather see...a Narnia land could fit in as an IP over/with Beastly Kingdom. that concept (BK) just sounded so cool. not sure where disney stands with those rights anymore, since they didn't release the 3rd movie...

that, or the Australia section I've heard about so much. Seeing Koalas and Kangaroos @ the park? Yes please.
And....you could even do something shark themed, since the land of Oz is one area (other than the coast of Africa) that has a large concentration of sharks/attacks. sorry, its almost shark week....but some country/region relevant aquarium and ride could be pretty neat if done right.

avatar, as much hype as it got...does....nothing for me. i think i'd rather the imagineers not be shackled by a singular IP like that, especially in a park that could benefit from a couple more broadly appealing things

rodmansju

You know avatar was one of the biggest movies.....ever....and the only reason it can be called a fad is because unlike the IPs you mentioned a new movie isn't around the corner every few years....there's a lot more world to Star Wars......6 movies of stuff....and countless books ect. Avatar as a universe has staying power if implemented. And I would much rather be emersed in pandora than dragons...and dungeons.

if it was biggest, is that just basing off of the more and more inflated ticket costs? i've watched about 5 minutes of the movie, and could not stand to watch more. Yet, i love star wars.

i just don't see the lasting value of avatar, and until we actually see follow ups made (i've constantly heard rumors of delays and scripts not even close to done) i can't get too excited, or put too much stock into it.

if only disney could have secured the rights to the lord of the rings. thats one that is both one of the biggest franchises in recent memory, and one that could fit nicely into AK as a mythical side of things goes.

for every one avatar fan you might find, i would bet there are a lot more people who have virtually no clue or interest.

rodmansju

i thought JC wasn't funding it at all, but rather disney was giving him incentive to have it in the park, and he had some creative input on the attractions.

Wikkler

Honestly, the average guest isn't going to judge this by how appropriate the theming is, but by the number of thrill rides.
"I hate every ride there except Everest, because it's fun"

twebber55

Then why even bother with the expense of a larger themed experience if people do not know or care? It can't just be about rides.
well my 98% was in fun and just trying to be funny...but i do think 98% of the people want to have a great experience through attractions and rides.....i dont think they look at motorbike coaster themed to avatar and say this sucks and a motorbike coaster themed to HP or LOTR and say this is awesome..its just not how the general public works sorry..this board and guys who really get into how lands flow into other lands are a small % very small

people enjoy TOT because of the themeing and the ride itself not because its part of the twilight zone, same with RNRR

just my opinion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom