twebber55

Like?

This is the only place you hear negatives about Avatar because this is the only place talking about Avatar. Seriously. It's irrelevant at this time. Yes, I know it made a crapload of money and had shiny graphics. But that's all it's known for. It's not a culturally known or relevant...other than people knowing it made a crapload of money and had shiny graphics. The sequel make a ton of money because the majority of the movie going audience are drones that will see anything with a number slapped onto the end of a familiar title.

I think it's admirable you love Avatar so much. And I think the land will be quality. But if people think Avatar is a culturally relevant juggernaut I think they're kidding themselves.

The majority of the Avatar hits come from the Nickelodeon TV shows...that's all you need to know.
40,000,000 likes on face book
2.8 billion box office
9 academy nominations with 3 wins
all time blue rays sold
highest premier on FX for a movie
trended on twitter day of announcement
two movies this past year Life of Pi/ The Croods referred themselves as the next avatar

anecdotyl
was showing my kids that i teach the huangshun mountains last spring and Every class immediately said those mountains reminded them of avatar floating mountains

guys i dont love avatar but it gets old that when some insider comes on hear and gives honest progress somebody comes right behind it and has to bring the same debate up even though mods have asked to take this debate to the other thread..

i never bring this thread up..i would let it go if people can let it go..its a theme park expansion so when people talk utter nonsense like this will destroy the park, avatar has no cultural relevence, or i dont know anybody that liked this movie..come on who s kidding who

i wont bring it up if people can move this debate to the other thread

when the next movei does a billion plus people who dont the movie will claim its a fad or it sucked which is fine

GLaDOS

First of all none of the

2.8 billion box office
all time blue rays sold

Ignoring the worthless Facebook stats, this was all 4+ years ago. Success =/= culturally relevant. I already admitted it was super successful. It had slick marketing, was released at a perfect time, and ushered in the advent of the 3D craze which is now dying.

Avatar was a phenom. There's no doubt about it. But is it still loved? I don't think so. I sure can be wrong. I'm not saying I'm completely right. I just don't see much current evidence to the contrary.

Harry Potter trends on Twitter when one of the movies is on TV. Trending on twitter is a pretty poor metric. Pacific Rim trended on twitter too and look how well that turned out in the US (thanks international audiences!).

Not to mention that announcement was still two years ago. Two additional years of people cooling on a franchise.

two movies this past year Life of Pi/ The Croods referred themselves as the next avatar

Because Avatar made a crapload of money.

You've still yet to prove why Avatar is a culturally relevant property. Have popular quotes come from it? Characters? Anything?

Again, I think the land will be quality. But the property is one that is not loved (imo). It's liked.

twebber55

First of all none of the

Ignoring the worthless Facebook stats, this was all 4+ years ago. Success =/= culturally relevant. I already admitted it was super successful. It had slick marketing, was released at a perfect time, and ushered in the advent of the 3D craze which is now dying.

Avatar was a phenom. There's no doubt about it. But is it still loved? I don't think so. I sure can be wrong. I'm not saying I'm completely right. I just don't see much current evidence to the contrary.

Harry Potter trends on Twitter when one of the movies is on TV. Trending on twitter is a pretty poor metric. Pacific Rim trended on twitter too and look how well that turned out in the US (thanks international audiences!).

Not to mention that announcement was still two years ago. Two additional years of people cooling on a franchise.

Because Avatar made a crapload of money.

You've still yet to prove why Avatar is a culturally relevant property. Have popular quotes come from it? Characters? Anything?

Again, I think the land will be quality. But the property is one that is not loved (imo). It's liked.
your last line is all that matters to me...anyways good debate im gonna try and move on

danlb_2000

Premium Member
40,000,000 likes on face book
2.8 billion box office
all time blue rays sold
highest premier on FX for a movie

anecdotyl
was showing my kids that i teach the huangshun mountains last spring and Every class immediately said those mountains reminded them of avatar floating mountains

guys i dont love avatar but it gets old that when some insider comes on hear and gives honest progress somebody comes right behind it and has to bring the same debate up even though mods have asked to take this debate to the other thread..

i never bring this thread up..i would let it go if people can let it go..its a theme park expansion so when people talk utter nonsense like this will destroy the park, avatar has no cultural relevence, or i dont know anybody that liked this movie..come on who s kidding who

i wont bring it up if people can move this debate to the other thread

when the next movei does a billion plus people who dont the movie will claim its a fad or it sucked which is fine

The debate over Avatar will never end, even once land is built. Even when it's run it's course and is replaced by something else, people will still debate whether it should have been built at all.

FigmentJedi

Quick question...although we all would want an original over avatar, what property would you rather have in that space.
Since I always say the same thing whenever this question is asked, I'm gonna let Mr. Cosby tell you what non-Disney property they should have picked if a non-Disney property had to go into Animal Kingdom.

Sped2424

Quick question...although we all would want an original over avatar, what property would you rather have in that space.
Princess monoke would fit perfectly in that land. have these little guys greeting you on the way in and out
tumblr_lpleg14Rd71qd8h5do1_500.gif

SirLink

Does it have to be an already existing IP? If so, Aegean Coast tie it in with the Hercules character moving about in said land - but would be the best opportunity for the chance to introduce "real" mythological creatures like Minotaur, Pegasus, etc.

Captain Neo

So is Avatar Land just going to be based on the first movie? Seems like a waste of potential with 3 more stories to be told they would be leaving out alot of content from the land

Captain Neo

1. The original concept for Beastly Kingdomme or a variation of that
2. A clone of Tokyo Disneysea's Mysterious Island or a variation of that
3. South America area with rides and exhibits
4. An Adventurer's area with Indiana Jones rides and Mystic Manor

twebber55

1. The original concept for Beastly Kingdomme or a variation of that
2. A clone of Tokyo Disneysea's Mysterious Island or a variation of that
3. South America area with rides and exhibits
4. An Adventurer's area with Indiana Jones rides and Mystic Manor
i like the idea of mysterious island it looks really cool and has a great e ticket...btw the same guy that created the rock work for MI is doing the rock work for pandora (zholt hormay)

Turtle

Exactly. What does Avatar have to do with the animals of Earth? Even mythical animals - dragons, unicorns, minotaurs, gryphons, etc. - are of THIS EARTH. Not some other planet. Avatar will never fit into DAK. It was just Iger's cement-headed idea to match the "wow" factor of WWOHP. As such, it failed. And if built it WILL fail as an attraction in DAK. It will be just some garish-looking foreign object lodged in the greenery. The stupid creatures will look ridiculous. TDO might as well put a Wookiee forest in DAK, or a freaking Ewok village. It would make just about as much sense. :in pain:
Only in your eyes. Adds more rides and things to do in the park that desperately needs some attractions while 80% of the theme park goers won't care about Avatar being in Animal Kingdom rather they'll think it's cool. It's the sad truth, Magenta.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom