ChevisMickey

There are now 3 Avatar movie sequels planned with the first being set for release in December 2016.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/colum...-set-december-2016-more-sequels-coming-107686

This will keep the franchise in the minds of the public for even more time. JC has never been one to capture the tie-ins market so it will be interesting to see what kinds of merchandise we start to see as 2016 approaches. Maybe an Avatar: The Animated Series or Avatar: Agents of Na'vi could follow the feature films. That would keep Disney happy with Avatarland merchandise.

PorterRedkey

While not progress on the ride, I'm glad the movies are going forward with the help of some additional writers. Adding the writer is suppose to help meet the filming schedule. All three movies will be filmed at the same time.

Avatar 4 will possible be a prequel, but really to early to tell at this point.

At least Disney will have 3 more movies to move traffic to AK for the new Pandora experience. I am hoping Disney can make this area really cool even if the first movie was better to watch with the sound off.

Here' s a link to a more detailed article: http://collider.com/avatar-2-3-4-sequel-news-release-dates/

Last edited:

doctornick

Then why even bother with the expense of a larger themed experience if people do not know or care? It can't just be about rides.

But Avatar would potentially be popular because of the themed experience (in addition to the rides). The huge draw of the movie was about the amazing special effects and breathtaking scenery -- bringing that to life in a theme part would be an experience unto itself.

Whether the theme fits well into DAK is a completely different argument (one that I don't think would important to the vast majority of guests at DAK). But it certainly would be a themed environment.

doctornick

On a side note am I the only one that wishes the dinosaur area were larger....maybe slightly more serous tones..I don't even mind the carnival rides...just the theme...

At a minimum, I would like to see a second ride themed to the Dino Institute. In addition to Dinosaur (the ride), why can't the Dino Institute also have a ride where they sent you back in time for a more calm viewing experience of "live" dinosaurs? One that is more family friendly, like maybe a boat ride or omnimover?

lazyboy97o

But Avatar would potentially be popular because of the themed experience (in addition to the rides). The huge draw of the movie was about the amazing special effects and breathtaking scenery -- bringing that to life in a theme part would be an experience unto itself.

Whether the theme fits well into DAK is a completely different argument (one that I don't think would important to the vast majority of guests at DAK). But it certainly would be a themed environment.
I was more addressing the recurring sentiment that Disney's Animal Kingdom needs more rides and that is ultimately of the most importance with Avatar being a vehicle to accomplish that goal. It comes up in other discussions as well not specifically related to Disney's Animal Kingdom.

rd805

At a minimum, I would like to see a second ride themed to the Dino Institute. In addition to Dinosaur (the ride), why can't the Dino Institute also have a ride where they sent you back in time for a more calm viewing experience of "live" dinosaurs? One that is more family friendly, like maybe a boat ride or omnimover?

This ride takes place...in EPCOT...

ctxak98

I have often wondered this myself but then came to this conclusion....It would be un-realistic. Disney decided to go the real route and give you Dinosaurs that are mean, territorial and hungry. Dinosaurs (based on what we know) would most likely not be nice and friendly. It would be fake to go back in time and see herbivores and carnivores playing together! Based on the fact that rhinos and elephants sometimes charge at humans, I would assume the same goes for Dinosaurs......therefore there is no such thing as a tame Dinosaur ride. Dinosaurs are wild animals in there real environment.

However I think an omnimover through the different time periods of Dinosaurs highlighting different facts (using AA figures, like a museum attraction) could be kind of cool. I want to see Ice age and underwater creatures fit into it though!

Alektronic

Thanks for the update and for sharing some actual news. Any details on what the water show will be? World of color type nighttime show or something different? Any idea if the boat ride from the original stale leaked plans is still on the table?

I can't really say much right now as a lot of things are still in the design stage and could be (and probably will) changed. I have seen a lot of the names for the stores and food places, some are like bad puns or play on words and others have names I have never heard of, so they are probably characters or places in the 2nd or 3rd movie.

matt9112

i think they should just install themed centrifuges pulling 5Gs....

FigmentJedi

I have often wondered this myself but then came to this conclusion....It would be un-realistic. Disney decided to go the real route and give you Dinosaurs that are mean, territorial and hungry. Dinosaurs (based on what we know) would most likely not be nice and friendly. It would be fake to go back in time and see herbivores and carnivores playing together! Based on the fact that rhinos and elephants sometimes charge at humans, I would assume the same goes for Dinosaurs......therefore there is no such thing as a tame Dinosaur ride. Dinosaurs are wild animals in there real environment.
Dinosaurs jumping out at you and attacking you is always fun, but it would really be nice to get something that goes more into how majestic and wonderful dinosaurs could be. I want a feel-good dinosaur safari ride that makes me feel like this for ten minutes. I want to start going "Oooh, aaah" on one ride and then do figurative "Running and Screaming" on the other ride.

FettFan

You know avatar was one of the biggest movies.....ever....and the only reason it can be called a fad is because unlike the IPs you mentioned a new movie isn't around the corner every few years....there's a lot more world to Star Wars......6 movies of stuff....and countless books ect. Avatar as a universe has staying power if implemented. And I would much rather be emersed in pandora than dragons...and dungeons.

It was big because of the glowey special effects and 3D that was actually effective.

Story and characters? Blah. Still stuck in 2D...nothing more than base stereotypes.

As for staying power....compare Avatar to other franchise movies. Successful franchises are filled with characters and stories that resound so completely with the human experience that the movies actually transcend past the small core of fans.
I've known people who have never seen an episode of Star Trek....and yet they know that Leonard Nimoy is Mr. Spock. (sorry Quinto)

Avatar has not resonated as such, and quite frankly I don't think it ever will, especially if James Cameron keeps all the characters as boring stereotypes.

donaldtoo

In direct reference to the title of this thread, I REALLY wish Avatar would regress instead of progress, already (as in not just be shelved, but burned). How much more irrelevant will this thing already be by the time they even break ground?

ctxak98

Dinosaurs jumping out at you and attacking you is always fun, but it would really be nice to get something that goes more into how majestic and wonderful dinosaurs could be. I want a feel-good dinosaur safari ride that makes me feel like this for ten minutes. I want to start going "Oooh, aaah" on one ride and then do figurative "Running and Screaming" on the other ride.

I get that but I think the ride would still feel unrealistic, As I pointed out. If its somehow a safari that passes my ONLY herbivores then you might be able to pull it off, but most likely you wouldn't run into a trail of all herbivores....Just my opinion!

FigmentJedi

I get that but I think the ride would still feel unrealistic, As I pointed out. If its somehow a safari that passes my ONLY herbivores then you might be able to pull it off, but most likely you wouldn't run into a trail of all herbivores....Just my opinion!
Or predators could be doing things besides being science fiction monsters. It's not like Lions and Tigers are always going KILL ALL HUMANS after all. And besides, most of CTX's conflict is created by the meteor shower.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
@Tim_4 looks like weve lost this thread to same boring worthless debate maybe try again on another thread

Lost cause:(

In defense of the masses there is precious little news or progress to report. We are like crack addicts just looking for a little fix and if we don't get what we need we turn on each other and argue about nothing at all. Look at Spirit's new thread. 60+ pages and counting in a few days with most people just hoping for some scraps of info about anything new. I can't wait until we have some meat to chew on. Number of rides and attractions, configuration and layout of the land, what exactly the e-ticket will be, any nighttime stuff, concept art, overhead construction photos, etc... I think a lot of people will get more excited about this project once there is something to sink our teeth into. Maybe D23 will provide something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom