RyenDeckard

That's not an accurate statement. Universal announced their expansion after development, not to mention construction had already started. Disney had barely even started negotiations on what the land could possibly include when that announced. NONE of the development had been done. Apples to oranges when making a comparison like that.

Ok, so let's compare announcement to opening dates.

Avatarland - Announced September 2011, opening 2017(?)
Potter Phase 2 - Announced May 2013, opening Summer 2014.

Regardless of when all of the stuff in the background happened, this is when the projects were announced to be happening, and when they were confirmed to the public to exist. It doesn't matter what goes on in the background at all.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Ok, so let's compare announcement to opening dates.

Avatarland - Announced September 2011, opening 2017(?)
Potter Phase 2 - Announced May 2013, opening Summer 2014.

Regardless of when all of the stuff in the background happened, this is when the projects were announced to be happening, and when they were confirmed to the public to exist. It doesn't matter what goes on in the background at all.

Actually Potter Phase 2 was announced in December of 2011 during the press conference announcing Wizard World coming to Universal Hollywood.

BryceM

what Marvel super hero island?
Yeah, some people find MSHI to be lacking due to the superhero cut-outs on the buildings. Personally, I find the land to be awesome and full of so many little details, such as the prints of the fallen Fantastic Four in front of Dr. Doom's Fear Fall and just the architecture in general which looks very cool. I think Universal executed the classic "comic book city" very well. But I do think that a majority of people out there would have preferred a more "realistic" approach to making the city, rather than the comic book approach.

But hey, to each their own.

jt04

MSHI has 4 attractions:
Spider-Man
The Hulk
Dr. Dooms Fearfall
Storm Force Accelerator

I may have misunderstood.

It has a world-class attraction but everything else seems like a Six Flags. Not that that is a terrible thing, but it does not compare favorably to a properly Imagineered 'land' concept.

topher

It has a world-class attraction but everything else seems like a Six Flags. Not that that is a terrible thing, but it does not compare favorably to a properly Imagineered 'land' concept.

That's true.
I like SM and Hulk but when I walk through that area I don't feel completely immersed. Definitely Six Flags esque. I guess that's what they were going for with the whole comics theme.

cheezbat

Avatar better be good. We've all been sitting here for far too long begging for scraps...I don't even care much anymore that the land will be themed to a franchise I don't care for. I just want some amazing quality attractions already!

articos

articos thinks you will see some art work..who knows beyond that
I'm rather fond of Articos and prefer to consider him (her?) right... so I'll hold out a twinge of hope for some concept art. I do love me some art. That isn't in coffee table books. Well, no, I like that too. You know what I mean.
Aw, thanks. I'm hopeful some details should come out on AvLand at D23. Have to wait and see whether that's art, video or just talking points. It's far enough where there should be near-final pretty pictures to show off, though, as long there's sign-off to show them. Hope for the best.

Yeah, some people find MSHI to be lacking due to the superhero cut-outs on the buildings. Personally, I find the land to be awesome and full of so many little details, such as the prints of the fallen Fantastic Four in front of Dr. Doom's Fear Fall and just the architecture in general which looks very cool. I think Universal executed the classic "comic book city" very well. But I do think that a majority of people out there would have preferred a more "realistic" approach to making the city, rather than the comic book approach.

But hey, to each their own.
The cut-outs were an intentional design decision, like the rest of the cityscape, to mimic the feel of a 2D printed superhero from a comic book. Same with Toon. These were designed in the early 90s, before the proliferation of Marvel movies - they are intentionally comic based.

BryceM

The cut-outs were an intentional design decision, like the rest of the cityscape, to mimic the feel of a 2D printed superhero from a comic book. Same with Toon. These were designed in the early 90s, before the proliferation of Marvel movies - they are intentionally comic based.
This I know. I was trying to defend it, not criticize it.

RSoxNo1

Marvel Super Hero Island falls under the same trap that Six Flags has fallen under when trying to build a super hero land. They make everything two dimensional. I understand the reasons behind it, but it's simply not as pleasing to the eye. Bright colors don't replace depth and interesting architecture. The land itself doesn't look particularly interesting, especially when compared to the lands across that park (Seuss Landing, Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Lost Continent). All of the lands of IOA have their weaknesses but I definitely understand the criticism for Marvel Super Hero Island.

Having said all that, Spiderman is still a more impressive ride than anything at Walt Disney World.

The Empress Lilly

Marvel Island doesn't work for me either. I find the area fun enough, but I'm never truly captivated by it. Then again, that seems to be my overall verdict about all of IoA's lands.

Spidey is still the most impressive ride in Orlando though. World class from queue to exit. A work of unmitigated genius. :confused::eek:

NoChesterHester

Marvel Island doesn't work for me either. I find the area fun enough, but I'm never truly captivated by it. Then again, that seems to be my overall verdict about all of IoA's lands.

Spidey is still the most impressive ride in Orlando though. World class from queue to exit. A work of unmitigated genius. :confused::eek:

Better than Forbidden Journey in your opinion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom