doctornick

I think part of the issue with a nighttime show at AKL is venue. Where would the crowds gather? It would require an overhaul of the waterfront, if it's a waterfront based show, or the paths leading up to the Tree of Life if it's going to based on that...

It's not like the other parks...it's so closed in with tree canopies, etc. It's the only Park that even though I know the layout and have visited many times, I still get somewhat lost while there. And I'm FAR more regular than the average tourist. Viewing areas would be at a premium.

I think the plan is a new artificial lake for a WOC show. I would assume a theater would be part of that.

Also I don't think the layout of DAK is confusing. DHS is the park that seems disjointed. DAK is pretty similar to Mk in layout with a hub and spoke setup.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think the plan is a new artificial lake for a WOC show. I would assume a theater would be part of that.

Also I don't think the layout of DAK is confusing. DHS is the park that seems disjointed. DAK is pretty similar to Mk in layout with a hub and spoke setup.

First, I hope they don't do it as a theatre show like Fantasmic.

Second, while the walking layout is similar, the visual one is not. The Castle is visible pretty much all of the time as a central landmark, if you take few steps. The Tree of Life, is not.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
FLE costs $425 million and DCA was $1.1 billion.
You're aiming way high on DCA.

See @ThemeParks4Life

Thanks. That makes more sense. I thought I read around here somewhere that the NextGen price tag was the same as DCA 2.0. That was probably when NextGen was still only $1B. Really crazy when you think about it that way.

Anyway, back on topic, we're still talking between $500M and $1.1B. That doesn't seem like a value engineered budget anyway. Pretty exciting stuff.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Based on recent history I'd agree, but based on the little birdies who whisper in my ear, this could be a real turning point. Not just beautiful, but technologically really freaking awesome.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but is the boat ride still in the plans or is it just the flight simulator and restaurant with a possible nighttime show?

Beholder

Based on recent history I'd agree, but based on the little birdies who whisper in my ear, this could be a real turning point. Not just beautiful, but technologically really freaking awesome.

I really like this! This is what I'm hoping for, an attraction that will be known for its beauty and technological "edge". If this is what we're getting, then let it be amazing. I'd rather it be a solid, well designed and well thought out attraction than something that's relying on some sort of franchise that may or may not have relevance 10 years from now. Perhaps by designing it without an emphasis on the film (s), and focusing on the environment of Pandora using great, new tech will help make this a timeless attraction. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

misterID

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but is the boat ride still in the plans or is it just the flight simulator and restaurant with a possible nighttime show?

It may just be a walk thru, at least that's what's been said. This far away, it's hard to know what will be there when it opens.

The plans at this stage in the project are usually very cool. Look at Mystic Manor and even Carsland. A lot of cool stuff ended up on the cutting room floor. I hope it stays on track for something big, but we're still years out... I hope there is a boat ride. The effects could be really stellar. The use of FiberOptics Disney has been using lately is really amazing.

Bryner84

Ok, so just for clarity...what are the additional non-Avatar related items that are part of project DAK full day? Just the nighttime show?

articos

...Disney has a larger budget, better (assumed) people...
Better trained cast, sometimes. I'd say Universal's giving a run for the money at the moment. As far as WDI people, not really. Most of the really special old-guard from WDI are gone. The originals are sadly not many any more, and all retired. There's a few - as I'd call it - 'second-wave' people still out there, like Tony and Marty, and a dwindling bunch of '2.5' and 'third wave' people who worked on Epcot like Monty Lunde of Technifex and the guys who went on to start WET Technologies, along with a whole bunch of others who went on to start their own companies, consult or freelance. We all go where the work is. It's a small industry - there's the top tier guys, and all the rest. If the top guys are avail, they work for WDI, they work for Universal, the Olympics, Paramount, WB, whoever. I have a ton of colleagues who came out of WDI and went on to Universal. Others are working on Paramount Murcia. Others are freelance or own their own firms, consulting for everyone, including Disney. So it's more who is available to be where at the moment, as opposed to Disney still keeping the top people. Most assume that Disney is the top of the food chain, and many do aspire to be at WDI. But the fact is WDI isn't the only game in town any longer - there's a list of outside companies with the same people, just as good or better in some cases. With all of the purges over the years, WDI is a lot of newer people, and the people who used to be the top people are now external. With a few notable exceptions still within Imagineering like Joe, Kathy, Theron, Michel, Kim, etc.

Tim_4

Original Poster
I thought night show was cut very recently?
How recently is "very"? I'll go back and look into it but I'd be very surprised and disappointed to hear this. There were plans for DAK to get a nighttime show long before Avatar entered the picture.

TEAM Dasia

after AVATAR is Done I the next thing Will be The Wizard of OZ coming to the animal kingdom.Despite of its Environment and fantasy like creatures.it could fit very well.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Better trained cast, sometimes. I'd say Universal's giving a run for the money at the moment. As far as WDI people, not really. Most of the really special old-guard from WDI are gone. The originals are sadly not many any more, and all retired. There's a few - as I'd call it - 'second-wave' people still out there, like Tony and Marty, and a dwindling bunch of '2.5' and 'third wave' people who worked on Epcot like Monty Lunde of Technifex and the guys who went on to start WET Technologies, along with a whole bunch of others who went on to start their own companies, consult or freelance. We all go where the work is. It's a small industry - there's the top tier guys, and all the rest. If the top guys are avail, they work for WDI, they work for Universal, the Olympics, Paramount, WB, whoever. I have a ton of colleagues who came out of WDI and went on to Universal. Others are working on Paramount Murcia. Others are freelance or own their own firms, consulting for everyone, including Disney. So it's more who is available to be where at the moment, as opposed to Disney still keeping the top people. Most assume that Disney is the top of the food chain, and many do aspire to be at WDI. But the fact is WDI isn't the only game in town any longer - there's a list of outside companies with the same people, just as good or better in some cases. With all of the purges over the years, WDI is a lot of newer people, and the people who used to be the top people are now external. With a few notable exceptions still within Imagineering like Joe, Kathy, Theron, Michel, Kim, etc.

Those "third wave" people sure are impressive at cheapening and destroying attractions. I'm sure glad that Disney is leaving it's concepts and ideas to hired guns.

Also, considering the mess that AK is, I really don't find Joe Rhode all that impressive. Maybe he's a victim of company forces outside his control, or maybe he's a self-inflated arrogant buffoon.

In either case, looking as what he has produced (disco Yeti and broken / poor themes), as I said, I'm not impressed.

I know I'll probably get flamed for that, but I mean my comment with honesty and respect.

<my sarcasm is dripping, if you can't tell>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
How recently is "very"? I'll go back and look into it but I'd be very surprised and disappointed to hear this. There were plans for DAK to get a nighttime show long before Avatar entered the picture.

Any word? Now the certainty of a nighttime show isn't so certain?

Tim_4

Original Poster
2017? pathetic...
Not because they're incapable, it's by design. Shareholders like to see steady outflows of capital spending, not sudden peaks and valleys. Attendance, revenue, and operating income are all well- positioned and growing. There's no need to rush. The hardcore fans are the only ones who know or care about "in progress" projects and the hardcore fans go anyways.

matt9112

Not because they're incapable, it's by design. Shareholders like to see steady outflows of capital spending, not sudden peaks and valleys. Attendance, revenue, and operating income are all well- positioned and growing. There's no need to rush. The hardcore fans are the only ones who know or care about "in progress" projects and the hardcore fans go anyways.

amen could not have phrased it better...well maybe =) honestly though people want to believe that there ranting on this forum or increased pressure from UNI will "magically" make WDW construct monolithic things. it will not happen until pressure is felt at the gates....and even than the rest of Disney industry is thriving right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom