doctornick

So, debating something that is "actual" isn't "factual" and we should all go on our own merry zip a dee doo dah way.

I am saying there is another thread around which is basically about complaining about or debating Avatar in WDW. Can't we keep this to discussing the project itself, not the merits of the IP?

Edit to add:
Just to underline this point. This thread is for SPECIFIC information and PROGRESS reports on the AVATAR project.

It IS NOT to discuss whether you agree or disagree with the concept of AVATAR being added to Animal Kingdom.

To discuss the merits of AVATAR use the original announcement thread athttp://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/avatar-land-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom.803695/

Any posts that do not fit within the purpose of this thread will be deleted.

Clamman73

Strong character development really is not good for a theme park environment. You can't use that as part of an attraction because those who don't know instantly become lost. That's part of the problem with The Little Mermaid, the attraction assumes a familiarity with the film and it is a flaw because of that. Avatarland has a greater chance of successful storytelling if you don't need to know anybody's name or even much of their character or story.

Sounds like Avatarland could equate to a one-night stand??? :p

Ariel is the one you want to marry b/c I can't remember the female character in Avatar! :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some people choose to ignore what the mod asked when he clearly stared please do not debate avatar but go to the other thread

I mean i have an anecdotyl story to show avatar is popular and well known but thats not for this thread
I am saying there is another thread around which is basically about complaining about or debating Avatar in WDW. Can't we keep this to discussing the project itself, not the merits of the IP?

Edit to add:

Missed that post from the beginning of the thread. Since I have no SPECIFIC information or PROGRESS to report I guess I should stop posting In this thread. Sorry about that guys, my bad:)

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Strong character development really is not good for a theme park environment. You can't use that as part of an attraction because those who don't know instantly become lost. That's part of the problem with The Little Mermaid, the attraction assumes a familiarity with the film and it is a flaw because of that. Avatarland has a greater chance of successful storytelling if you don't need to know anybody's name or even much of their character or story.

Avatarland should be successful because of its potential for real world translation and with the points you made. They don't need to focus around any single character but rather this immersive world created in the movie. I think it fits AK well because it is a quasi fantasy real world environment.

The Mom

Premium Member
Just a reminder that this thread is for news about any Avatarland construction news, not a discussion as to whether Avatarland should be built, or whether you think it will succeed.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Then what is the actual budget? I know you've given general parameters but there is a lot of space in there. There is a huuuuge difference between 1.1 billion dollars and 445 million in terms of budget. And as far as I can tell, reading back through all the different Avatar threads, the budget Disney has been willing to set has never been more than around 500 million, which I honestly don't think is enough to make Avatar the draw Disney would presumably like it to be. You are right and it's something I've talked about for a long time.. They need to make the world very appealing to even remotely get the dividends they want because it simply isn't a strong franchise from a character and story perspective.

Also, if the night time show really is axed, it's
1) Not shocking at all... They've already demonstrated time and again how they cut set budgets once they get going
2) A huge mistake
It's not "somewhere in between" $500M and $1.1B. It's in the MIDDLE of $500M and $1.1M.

I think the reason it's higher than the original estimates is because those estimates were JUST Avatar itself. My number is the entire DAK full day project, since that's how the budget was allotted.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I get it you re being coy but yeah lots of info about the project including a couple post above this

Number of rides
Name of E ticket
Etc....

I've said before, and I'll say again. I am not a fan of Avatar, but I hope it happens and blows my socks off. Considering how Disney has spent their money recently on the WDW Parks, yes, color me skeptical.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Moving FotLK was the first step, completely agreed. It took out the only major attraction in that area and leaves it ripe for development.
FotLK is still operating. When the new location is ready the transition should be fairly seamless.

doctornick

Be still my heart.

Mock if you must, but it clearly is the first step to building Pandora in DAK. When they closed down Mickey's Toontown Fair in MK and removed buildings, that was one of the first step of the FLE, since they needed to do that before actually doing construction on the Circus part.

Whether you like the project or not, building a new FOTLK theater in Africa to move the show to is the necessary first step. That doesn't mean that Pandora is definitely happening or that all the details are finalized or any number of things that could change in ensuing years. But if a land based on Pandora is built, this step was needed. So, yes, it is progress in that direction. We'll see what becomes of it....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom