englanddg

One Little Spark...
But no night parade?

I really think they need either a nighttime show (a la WoC) or a night parade to keep people in the park all day and into the night.

It's my understanding that they close early for the care, comfort and feeding of the animals. Due to this fact, I don't think we'll ever see nighttime hours at AK.

doctornick

It's my understanding that they close early for the care, comfort and feeding of the animals. Due to this fact, I don't think we'll ever see nighttime hours at AK.

They can easily shut down the back part of the park where the animals are and still have most of the park open for nighttime stuff -- Avatar, Dinoland, Discovery Island + Everest. Also, I wouldn't expect any fireworks or other high in the sky effects for any nighttime show, for the sake of minimizing the effect on the animals.

But they've had the park open late (past dusk) in the past. I think the animal comfort is just an excuse to justify shorter hours for cost savings (and reflecting that there isn't quite enough to do for an extended day).

englanddg

One Little Spark...
They can easily shut down the back part of the park where the animals are and still have most of the park open for nighttime stuff -- Avatar, Dinoland, Discovery Island + Everest. Also, I wouldn't expect any fireworks or other high in the sky effects for any nighttime show, for the sake of minimizing the effect on the animals.

But they've had the park open late (past dusk) in the past. I think the animal comfort is just an excuse to justify shorter hours for cost savings (and reflecting that there isn't quite enough to do for an extended day).

Possibly. That's just the reasoning I've always heard. Also, there's a lot of wildlife that isn't confined to the back side of the park...like the nature trails leading up to the Tree of Life and the wildlife exhibits in Asia.

I'd love to see a great nighttime show there...but I doubt we ever well. Not trying to say we shouldn't hope for one! <grin>

doctornick

I'd love to see a great nighttime show there...but I doubt we ever well. Not trying to say we shouldn't hope for one! <grin>

Well, it's definately been considered/talked about, so it is at lease plausible. Whether or not it happens, who knows. But I don't think that the presence of animals automatically prevents nighttime hours.

That being said, I'm envisioning the park open to 9pm (maybe 10pm at the latest), not midnight. I think they would really like to get people to stay for dinner.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well, it's definately been considered/talked about, so it is at lease plausible. Whether or not it happens, who knows. But I don't think that the presence of animals automatically prevents nighttime hours.

That being said, I'm envisioning the park open to 9pm (maybe 10pm at the latest), not midnight. I think they would really like to get people to stay for dinner.

I would certainly like to see AK at night. It's my least favorite park...but I think that's because my memories of it are limited to blistering hot days and limited attractions.

Tim_4

Original Poster
You're wrong. Internally, this project is occasionally referred to as "DAK Full Day." That's the entire point of the expansion.

Tim_4

Original Poster

No need to speculate. DAK absolutely will be a full day park. Keeping guests for dinner is one goal. The other is offering enough to fill a week long WDW vacation so guests aren't tempted to visit other "area attractions."

Taylor

No need to speculate. DAK absolutely will be a full day park. Keeping guests for dinner is one goal. The other is offering enough to fill a week long WDW vacation so guests aren't tempted to visit other "area attractions."
Anything to keep people on property. And I've never thought of the $ they miss out on without a dinner rush. And I imagine the nighttime show will be centered around the tree of souls?

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Well...they better get crackin! As someone who spends a lot of time and money annually at Disney (and I know I'm not alone)...Universal is looking more and more appealing. Not to mention Legoland and Sea World.

Funny, Disneyland California isn't as posessive about their guests, and actually encourages them to see local sites so they extend their vacations, instead of building bathrooms and "rumored" expansions. I'm sorry, I'm not enticed, nor am I impressed with "someday" announcements at D23 and forum rumors.

Sorry, but My Magic + and a broken website isn't going to keep me interested for long. Disney will still get my money this year (thanks to the Cruise Line), but I'm really upset as to how slow things are moving in comparison with other places. And, a DLC ride clone and a new restaurant with beer isn't really all that fantastic to me. The Mine Train is interesting, but won't influence my spending this year, and one ride isn't going to influence my spending next year all that much.

Magicbands...yeah...how much of that money could have gone to something better? To steal someone else's term...being on "Mouse Arrest" isn't my idea of fun.

Disney needs to kick it into gear, or step aside.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Anything to keep people on property. And I've never thought of the $ they miss out on without a dinner rush. And I imagine the nighttime show will be centered around the tree of souls?
The nighttime show isn't necessarily Avatar. It may be, but I doubt it. Avatar or not, it's part of the same project.

doctornick

I literally wrote "nighttime show" right in the post you quoted.

Right. I wasn't contrasting, debating or ignoring what you wrote. I was adding on to it that I think DAK needs at least one of a nighttime show (as you said was in the plans) or a nighttime parade (suggested by others as a possibility, but not in your post) to really make it a full day park. They need some sort of evening extravagansa that is a draw to keep people hanging around to look forward to.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Right. I wasn't contrasting, debating or ignoring what you wrote. I was adding on to it that I think DAK needs at least one of a nighttime show (as you said was in the plans) or a nighttime parade (suggested by others as a possibility, but not in your post) to really make it a full day park. They need some sort of evening extravagansa that is a draw to keep people hanging around to look forward to.
Gotcha. In that case, I agree. So does Disney.

doctornick

Right, I think they need to buff up DAK and DHS so that people feel compelled that they "have to" visit them on every trip to WW because their offerings are so good. This would help to keep people on property and increase spending in the parks (e.g. getting dinner at DAK).

As an aside, if they did add a nighttime entertainment (show or parade) to DAK, it would be nice if they had some sort of reliable/frequent transport to AKL from the park beyond the buses -- some sort of light rail or small monorail would be a good way to view AKL as part of expanded meal offerings while at DAK. Especially since the restaurants at AKL are quite good and unique and the offerings within DAK are somewhat limited even if they add a Pandora restaurant.

Just tossing ideas out, but what about a monorail between AKL and DAK sort of like the monorail at DLR. If there were some animals in between to see, it could be sold as an "attraction" in addition to being more rapid transport for the resort guests, which would help sell DVC there as well.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Um... no. In 2017, absolutely, definitely.

So, Avatar is 2017, definitely? Or a nighttime show is 2017, definitely? Got a link for that, or is that just your assertion?

(I'm not trying to be confrontational with you, so please don't take offense)

doctornick

So, Avatar is 2017, definitely? Or a nighttime show is 2017, definitely? Got a link for that, or is that just your assertion?

(I'm not trying to be confrontational with you, so please don't take offense)

I think @Tim_4 is saying that there is "definitely" plans for Avatar + other stuff to be completed by 2017. Obviously, nothing is absolutely definite until it is done and even stuff that is announced and has dedicated funding can be derailed, but he point seems to be that this is beyond blue sky and is in the more aggressive planning stage with funding earmarked.

There's no link because nothing is official or announced to the public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom