twebber55

I wish we would get something OTHER than "Soarin' over Pandora". Like, it sounds cool, but I feel like there should be a true headliner attraction for Pandora, and that doesn't sound like one.
early in this thread i mentioned
motor bike coaster for 48 in
soarin for 40 in
boat ride for whole family so everyone could ride

i dont mind the soarin ride if there was another head liner

wdwfan22

As to your other point, the wait times for Belle continue to surprise certain ops folks. I knew they would work and the number of guests queuing up for the attraction proves their popularity. Time well tell whether the rest of the immersive m&g's were canceled or just delayed. I am betting the later.

Wait times are long because of low capacity, the fact that there are only 2 things to do in new fantasyland besides eat and the fact that Guest believe it's more than just a standard Meet & Greet.

MerlinTheGoat

early in this thread i mentioned
motor bike coaster for 48 in
soarin for 40 in
boat ride for whole family so everyone could ride

I think that was supposedly a potential early plan for a new Avatar "land", having several rides like you said. But now more than ever it sounds like from the rumors here that it has been cut down to one single ride along with a gift shop. And while there's no sure way to know what ride they've chosen to build, traditional downsizing of attractions at WDW would heavily point towards them going with the Soarin route.

doctornick

I actually think the Soarin' type ride is perfectly fine as the headliner given that it will be a significant upgrade to Soarin' (3D with much more movement of the seats; I wouldn't be surprised to see Star Tours-esqe multiple scene combinations).

My bigger complaint was the getting ride of the boat ride, which would be relatively cheap, help to make Avatar much more complete as a land, and be the family friendly ride sorely needed to add capacity to DAK. I really hope it gets brought back into the plans. A boat ride would AA creatures from Pandora would be quite popular IMHO.

Sped2424

What happened to this being a news only thread. Clearly this isn't working, can it just be closed?
As long as this thread is about the actual construction and hoping for what attractions should be included rather than the whole argument of whether or not the property should exist at AK I am okay with this debate. Eventually walls will go up and then this thread much like the seven dwarfs thread would turn into a construction update with photos every few weeks.

MerlinTheGoat

If Avatar ends up with just a Pandora Soarin I'll just say Wow.....really??? Disney couldn't figure out one ride of their own from their own movies to put in AK????

I'd imagine it isn't really a matter of "figuring out" a ride here to me in the designing sense, there's probably a ton of impressive ideas that imagineers can and have pitched that could work and be cool. As usual, in the end it's going to come down to how much money they're willing to spend on this project. Without getting into an argument about whether Avatar should happen or whether people liked the movie, I don't personally think Disney lacks the ability to create a quality and impressive experience out of this concept. That is if they had the desire and budget to create such an experience. But that is very likely what will end up being the problem with Avatar Land (if it's even going to be a "land" anymore). Stingy budgets is an issue that can and has ruined projects whose concepts don't even have any negativity surrounding them from WDW fans.

A Soarin Over Pandora would probably be a safe bet to guess that they'd end up going with. And if they did go with it, Disney could probably even hand over all the movie-based elements (what is shown on a simulator screen) to Cameron and his team to create so Disney wouldn't have to bother with that at all (just a guess, correct me if i'm wrong here insiders).
If they're intent on building this thing I'd be really disappointed if they didn't include the boat ride. The park needs more capacity desperately, especially for rides with no height requirement.
I agree. I would like a calm boat-based attraction at Animal Kingdom. I think the park needs more rides like that. Most of the rides at the park have height or other restrictions that would limit who can or are willing to ride them. A well themed boat-based attraction would have good capacity and cater towards anyone of any age, height, or attitude towards thrills (my mom for example doesn't like most rides with any sort of thrill factor to them, she doesn't even like simulators except for Soarin which is very calm).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As to your other point, the wait times for Belle continue to surprise certain ops folks. I knew they would work and the number of guests queuing up for the attraction proves their popularity. Time well tell whether the rest of the immersive m&g's were canceled or just delayed. I am betting the later.
Surprise? No. Belle was always going to have a miserly hourly capacity.

Padraig

Hard to imagine Cameron signing off on a single ride such as Soarin Over Pandora. Sure, it would allow him to show off his world, but it's no WWOHP. Should Avatar fail, it would be fairly easy to repurpose.

misterID

Soarin was the one ride he really wanted, at least, that's the one ride he kept bringing up in interviews. I never heard him mention another ride involving Avatar. It's probably the only thing keeping him on board.

dcibrando

I hope they don't build 1 ride and 1 gift shop and consume a lot of land and call it a "land" which could take away from other (better IMHO) things

twebber55

Soarin was the one ride he really wanted, at least, that's the one ride he kept bringing up in interviews. I never heard him mention another ride involving Avatar. It's probably the only thing keeping him on board.
yep you are correct...JC has mentioned a soarin type attraction a couple times so maybe this is what he wants..i wonder if anybody thought of that....maybe he wants a Soarin 10.0 plus a mini land with all the bells and whistles of theming

twebber55

Ladies and gentleman, we gather here today to mourn the loss of this young discussion thread. Although it showed great promise in it's first few pages of life, it quickly descended into irrelevant discussion and arguments. It will be greatly missed by those of us who's lives were touched by it in it's short time on earth. ;)
i really dont mind this type of discussion although i know Tim wanted to be about news..just over the i hate avatar why is it coming stuff

jt04

IMO, even if they built the other previously planned m&g's the wait times would not change substantially. Partly for the reason you mention but also because it is what guests want. PFH will prove out the demand and possibly lead to the immersive m&gs being added down the road. If Disney wants to continue to capitalize on these franchises, this is a great way of doing so.

RSoxNo1

yep you are correct...JC has mentioned a soarin type attraction a couple times so maybe this is what he wants..i wonder if anybody thought of that....maybe he wants a Soarin 10.0 plus a mini land with all the bells and whistles of theming
Weren't the reports the exact opposite?

Also, I wouldn't expect the same Soarin' ride system, just with a clearer screen, that's not what's on the blueprints. Not that there's a huge difference, but it looks more to me like The Simpsons than Soarin'

George

Liker of Things
You know what would be a cool night time show that would be quiet and awesome....Start with Pandora bioluminescing and whatnot. Then, have small glowing spores start to fly off the indigenous plant life, go through the portal and land on plants around DAK causing them to light up and glow after they are "infected". Then, the condition could spread and finally the tree of life would light up in a multi-colored pageant. They could even have some pleasant ambient music piped in whilst this was going on. Of course, the additional weight of the lights would probably cause branches to rain down on guests....

What happened to this being a news only thread. Clearly this isn't working, can it just be closed?

I think the only way to have it work is for the OP to be updated with news, when it occurs, so that people who want to see the news can just take a peak. Otherwise, I don't know how you keep the discussion down.

George

Liker of Things
IMO, even if they built the other previously planned m&g's the wait times would not change substantially. Partly for the reason you mention but also because it is what guests want. PFH will prove out the demand and possibly lead to the immersive m&gs being added down the road. If Disney wants to continue to capitalize on these franchises, this is a great way of doing so.

I think you're both right. High end meet and greets are very popular and they have a miserly capacity. I have no idea how many would have to be built to make the wait times tolerable. Luckily, for me, my wife likes these things enough that she takes our daughter to them whilst my son and I do other things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom