HTF

What were Disney's plans?

An interactive media based attraction, several themed meet and greets, shops,and food and beverage options. JK went with Universal because she as well as WB were going to have so much more say so than they would with Disney. The biggest selling point for her was protecting the brand and its image. Disney would of watered it down with Mickey influence and a load of pixie dust but again very important they were not willing to increase budget levels or hand over WDI to WB. Something I bet WDI would of loved to do since they there forced to sit on there hands for years on the same Avatar project...

Now before I get jumped Universals initial pitch was FAR from what you see today and was more of a layover of Merlin's Village, Enchanted Oak, and the addition of the castle next to the Unicorn. Actually the only concepts that really carried over from the initial pitch was the Unicorn layover and dragon re theme. But again thats the reason Universal won out, they were willing to not only conform to JK and WB but were willing to completely alter and greatly enhance the project to keep it as true to the movies and books as possible.

Some of Universals original Potter pitch artwork

3f7e975e9a2184314098447298d72ef2.jpg

8eaf8347c3034d08ba1eec342c2ccfbb.jpg

a711ebb5314c792217416a7b8765c4b3.jpg

d1f704e8b40f750b176019f98ef211bf.jpg

1e86fbc882e92cbab0808d1f782c3548.jpg

bea1e431c5fb85fc6c6e25c832648e91.jpg

ULPO46

Coming to realize it took over 7 years for JK Rowling to give universal the rights to a theme park attraction. Never the less it was 2007 and most of the plans had been drafted since 2001 when the movie came out. This only opened in 2010. So if it took universal that long my guess is it can take disney just as long. Yet again what ever happened to avatar 2 anyone? What I'm trying to say is even though it made 2 billion worldwide, I don't feel that there is enthusiasm to this project or to the avatar series as a whole. Avatar is in the works but knowing Disney how many failures have we seen. Even NASA has a much better record than disneys failures on past projects.

rd805

Yes, that was my (unimpressed) impression of the Pandora exhibit. A way for to Disney to claim they were "working" on Pandora without having to disclose any details of what they were working on.

wow - so disappointing and kind of a slap in the face.

ParentsOf4

Coming to realize it took over 7 years for JK Rowling to give universal the rights to a theme park attraction. Never the less it was 2007 and most of the plans had been drafted since 2001 when the movie came out. This only opened in 2010. So if it took universal that long my guess is it can take disney just as long.
Universal announced the deal with J.K. Rowling in May 2007. WWOHP opened in June 2010.

WDW announced the deal with James Cameron in September 2011. It's been two years and Disney hasn't started any appreciable construction.

The timelines are nothing alike.

Prior to Universal's announcement, Disney had the inside track to build a Harry Potter related attraction but let it go, one of the alleged reasons being that J.K. Rowling was so difficult to work with. Yet when they signed the deal in 2011, by reputation, Cameron was at least as difficult to work with as Rowling. The reality is Disney wanted to scale down Rowling's plans and do it on the cheap (sound familiar?) while Rowling wouldn't go along with it, having a extremely strong vision of what was needed.

Disney management failed miserably, letting Universal land a major coup that completely turned around those parks. The deal with Cameron was a kneejerk reaction to Disney management having major egg on their collective faces.

Instead of building exciting new attractions, Disney's investing a couple of billion so they can data mine us while Universal just keeps rolling and rolling.

doctornick

So, I will say I am disappointed that nothing came out at D23 about Avatar. I'm not saying that expected anything huge, but I did in the back of my mind think we'd have some concept art or very loose attraction descriptions. The kind of stuff that would be very flexible and open to change, but would at least show real progress (unlike a fake "research expedition" display).

luv

So, we're two years from the announcement, over 100 pages and 2000 posts on this thread and we have...nothing.

I'm not a fan of Avatarland and strongly oppose it for the AK...but if they're going to do this, I wish they'd get it over with.

Yeesh!

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Going back to that universal thing... Harry Potter was a big dissapointment for me. Thought disney would have done a much better job. Just saying. Avatar if completed will be amazing.

OH PUH-LEEEEZE....I love Disney, so far I'm still favoring WDW over Universal, but just take a ride on WDW's cheap, bargain-basement, new Little Mermaid ride, and you'll see why Rowling walked. TDO can't even do DISNEY concepts justice, much less an outside franchise.

Captain Neo

Universal announced the deal with J.K. Rowling in May 2007. WWOHP opened in June 2010.

WDW announced the deal with James Cameron in September 2011. It's been two years and Disney hasn't started any appreciable construction.

The timelines are nothing alike.

Prior to Universal's announcement, Disney had the inside track to build a Harry Potter related attraction but let it go, one of the alleged reasons being that J.K. Rowling was so difficult to work with. Yet when they signed the deal in 2011, by reputation, Cameron was at least as difficult to work with as Rowling. The reality is Disney wanted to scale down Rowling's plans and do it on the cheap (sound familiar?) while Rowling wouldn't go along with it, having a extremely strong vision of what was needed.

Disney management failed miserably, letting Universal land a major coup that completely turned around those parks. The deal with Cameron was a kneejerk reaction to Disney management having major egg on their collective faces.

Instead of building exciting new attractions, Disney's investing a couple of billion so they can data mine us while Universal just keeps rolling and rolling.

The whole project is dependent on an outside party though who is currently secretively hammering out 3 Avatar movies so not only is he unavailable for meetings he also has to be very careful what he reveals about the world because he can't have stuff leaking out.

This project would be moving alot faster if Cameron had already made the Avatar movies.

lazyboy97o

Which I find odd that no one has mentioned that in the still shots shown in the clip Rhodes and Staggs are breathing Pandoran air.....

If someone did mention it I apologize for missing the mention.
I think it was mentioned somewhere in one of the threads. I believe that same person also noted that in the film it took five years to travel to Pandora.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom