Jeffxz

Anyone seen the Undiscovered Disney on travel channel recently? It's info says its from 2004, but I watched the latter part of it last night and it seems to have been updated. They show a lot of New FantasyLand, and at the end they have a 2-3 minute segment bringing up Avatarland talking about the possible attractions that could be built in the land. The imagineers talk about it on camera.

I saw some of this and noticed during the EE segment that the yeti AA was hardly shown.

Captain Neo

Anyone seen the Undiscovered Disney on travel channel recently? It's info says its from 2004, but I watched the latter part of it last night and it seems to have been updated. They show a lot of New FantasyLand, and at the end they have a 2-3 minute segment bringing up Avatarland talking about the possible attractions that could be built in the land. The imagineers talk about it on camera.

The original segment showed journey to the center of the earth implying that it was coming to DAK. Instead we get avatar :(

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's also sad that you failed to recognize that Disney has been doing this for quite some time now, which by the way isn't a bad thing.

I've recognized it quite well. But it's not like any of it was this big.

I'm just saying Disney has so much to use, why use somebody else's creation? Like really. -_-

Magenta Panther

Your missing the point though. If Disney did not bankroll Pixar's first film someone else would have done it wether it was Fox, Universal, Sony, or New Line. Just because Disney was the one who financed it doesn't mean squat. Second while Lasseter was a Disney nut he was also a Lucasfilm nut and was heavily influenced by Star Wars. In fact he used to go around saying "I want to do the Star Wars trilogy equivalent in animation". And again aesthetically their movies are nothing alike (especially before the merger) and Pixar's culture which is director and creator oriented is very different from Disney's top down management style where suits determined what movies got put into development. I've seen the Pixar Story doc several times. It does not back your claims. Disney has as much in common with Pixar as it does with Lucasfilm, the Muppets, and Marvel. Frankly between those 4 Pixar is the least Disney to me IMO.

The argument is pointless though as all of those are considered branches of Disney. Case closed.

Well, maybe you need to watch "The Pixar Story" a few more hundred times. Did Lucas ever work for Disney? Did Jim Henson ever work for Disney? Um, NO. Lasseter's experience with Disney is what made the merger work. Pixar movies are very compatible with the Disney aesthetic; in fact their emphasis on "story, story, story" is derived from the Disney model. It's very easy to SAY that if Disney hadn't bankrolled Pixar movies, someone else would have. That's not fact, that's conjecture. One of the reasons the Pixar/Disney merger (if "merger" is really the right word - it was more of an out-and-out purchase) happened was because Pixar was having trouble finding a distributor. It couldn't find a better deal than Disney was offering (not that the Disney deal was a good one for Pixar, thanks to Eisner's arrogance and pig-headedness), so when Iger made a (some say overly-generous) offer, Pixar jumped at it.

And speaking of acquisitions, there's a very interesting article today in the Globe and Mail about Disney's troubles due to its buying sprees: https://secure.globeadvisor.com/servlet/ArticleNews/story/gam/20130806/RBBVDISNEY0805ATL

Have a nice day.

twebber55

I've recognized it quite well. But it's not like any of it was this big.

I'm just saying Disney has so much to use, why use somebody else's creation? Like really. -_-
only reason i can think of would be to draw a larger audience ..maybe get people to go to the parks who otherwise wouldnt

kind of like WWOHP did for universal (obviously not on that scale)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
only reason i can think of would be to draw a larger audience ..maybe get people to go to the parks who otherwise wouldnt

kind of like WWOHP did for universal (obviously not on that scale)

Wonder what the competition would end up being if Disney decided to use Percy Jackson..

jdmdisney99

So two years on they're still doing their research and still have no idea on a date.

Now that is progress.

Meanwhile at Universal...
image.jpg

Sassagoula-Rvr

Can we imagine if we had the forum in the 60's lol the minute the haunted mansion popped up we all would have been like when the heck is this thing coming. Or I heard it was cancelled. With meanwhile a knotts berry farm..
Exactly, sometimes I feel in todays age...Disney's biggest mistake might be telling the public ANYTHING...until boots are on the ground and shovels are in the dirt.

lazyboy97o

Can we imagine if we had the forum in the 60's lol the minute the haunted mansion popped up we all would have been like when the heck is this thing coming. Or I heard it was cancelled. With meanwhile a knotts berry farm..
That sort of speculation did happen. The Long Forotten blog shows the depth of The Haunted Mansion's connections to myth, legend and folklore. But to claim two years has been spent researching one film is laughable. It's not even like Cars Land where there is a very real physical place to go study.

Sped2424

That sort of speculation did happen. The Long Forotten blog shows the depth of The Haunted Mansion's connections to myth, legend and folklore. But to claim two years has been spent researching one film is laughable. It's not even like Cars Land where there is a very real physical place to go study.
I think the "studying" The film excuse the guy gave was bs, I'm sure budget, and the whole thing with them squabbling with James Cameron back and forth had something to do with it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom