cynic710

Avatarland progress....:lookaroun:.....nope nothing here to see. There are some humdinger threads on this board but this one takes the cake. I don't blame you guys that post here but really......there has been nothing. Even with the save PI thread there was altleast PI existed. Avland seems to have been pushed back to the point of almost extinction. I think they are just hoping that at some point we will forget about it. No one has mentioned if there was any sign or ANY word of Av at D23....not even a crate.

what about the imagineer desk with evidence of travel to pandora?

GLaDOS

Whether or not you agree is irrelevant. The studios repeatedly and habitually have ridiculous expectations regarding box office performance.

This. 1.4 billion would have people jumping from the highest floor of the Fox building, especially considering the law of diminishing returns. If the second one makes 1.4 billion, the third makes 1.1, and so on.

dreamscometrue

Fixed that for you. Whatever reason made people go to the first one, fact is a lot of people went to see it. The second one will easily ride that wave from the first one, and even if it does half the box office it will be a success. The big question mark comes with the movies after that one.

I still don't think it actually matters much how well the next movies do. I believe that the vast, vast majority of theme park visitors would enjoy a cool immersive environment no matter what it's based on. If we can walk into a land/attractions that are visually stunning and fun to experience, it could be based on anything/nothing. I didn't like the HP movie I saw (one was enough for me), but I love FJ. I think I would have loved the ride (perhaps more) because of the environment and technology if the theme was practically anything else as well...Peter Pan, visiting Earth in the past, flying with the Jetsons, being part of Sharknado...it really doesn't matter much imho. :)

twebber55

Two VERY different things you're talking about there. First of all, Avengers wasn't a follow up to the biggest box office movie of all time. Second of all, Avatar 2's budget will be significantly higher than Avenger's, and Avengers needed 1.1 billion dollars just to break even. Third, you're thinking like a normal person, not a studio executive or a wall street analyst. Fox isn't looking for a nice profit from Avatar 2. They're looking to hit the motherload again. Anything less will be a severe disappointment to them.
please stop calling me normal lol...i get what you are saying and to an extent i agree

twebber55

I still don't think it actually matters much how well the next movies do. I believe that the vast, vast majority of theme park visitors would enjoy a cool immersive environment no matter what it's based on. If we can walk into a land/attractions that are visually stunning and fun to experience, it could be based on anything/nothing. I didn't like the HP movie I saw (one was enough for me), but I love FJ. I think I would have loved the ride (perhaps more) because of the environment and technology if the theme was practically anything else as well...Peter Pan, visiting Earth in the past, flying with the Jetsons, being part of Sharknado...it really doesn't matter much imho. :)
this i agree with more than anything else...even if they never made a movie called avatar but made an immersive experience that has floating mountains bioluminescence i think it would be cool..have we debated this yet i cant remember

dadddio

I agree with this post for the most part. That being said, a cool new land that is not based on an existing property does not have licensing fees to contend with. Further, that new unique land would have to figure out it's merchandising issues. Of course, the 'existing property' land would also, but they have the opposite problem where they have to figure out how to successfully merchandise that existing property.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The difference with Life of Pi was it was a great story along WITH great visuals.

totally agree..people see floating mountains and bioluminescent plant and animal life with great visuals people immediately think avatar..thats why life of pi and the croods compared themselves to avatar....still trying to move past this debate lol

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The key with Avatar, very few want it next movies will be an epic fail but its one of those things that the 'C-level' has embraced and will go forward regardless it will probably do poorly after a brief bump and a lot of Imagineers will be fired because the attraction was a failure and poor execution will be blamed rather than a bad concept.

Disney should have spent the money on the Monsters Inc Door Factory coaster, No licensing issues and the lines would have been out the door.

doctornick

Probably nothing to see at this stage. Its more proof of concept than a storyline being played out.

With somewhere down the round adding a second night time show, DAK really needed to pull its creative finger out. Not that theres still much to keep people in the park with Avland taking longer and longer...

Very interesting. Thank you, Martin, for this info. Hopefully a night show at DAK happens sooner rather than later. I'm intrigued if the venue would be the Discovery River since we have previously heard that it was unusable for a WoC type show. I wonder what sort of program it would be and whether the rumors of projections on the Tree of Life are accurate. The "River of Light" concept mentioned a parade of floats on the water.

It would be nice if they added the night time show and kept the day parade, but I know insiders here have said the parade would be ending its run in the near future.

I don't understand why they haven't dropped avatar yet. I have no problem with it in DAK, but if it's going to really take this long and all we're getting is a fake desk, then they should just use something else. If not, they should at least add some smaller dark rides to hold us off.

I tend to agree. Whether or not Avatar gets done, they need to add something to the park in the short term. Having some smaller rides added in the meantime while the details of Avatar are being worked out and developed (and built) would be beneficial. Personally, I'd even be fine with some well themed flat rides (like A Bug's Land) if nothing else. Though I think the park could really benefit from some Fantasyland style dark rides themed to various Disney animals (Bambi, Jungle Book, Rescuers, 101 Dalmatians, etc.)

NoChesterHester

Yea. To real places. I honestly don't think the guy gives a rat's about this project.

But if he leaves, or is removed from the project I will fear much more for the continuity and damage of Animal Kingdom's theme going forward. Joe will fight for Avatar to not take over the entire park and he will help ensure a fantastic environment as part of the expansion.

GLaDOS

But if he leaves, or is removed from the project I will fear much more for the continuity and damage of Animal Kingdom's theme going forward. Joe will fight for Avatar to not take over the entire park and he will help ensure a fantastic environment as part of the expansion.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rohde will do an impeccable job on the Avatar area. But I don't think it's a project he wants to do. Especially not one that will most likely end up being his last.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom