Tom

Beta Return
WHAT specifics?! :D

(Hey...it's true... sigh. o_O)

Any Insiders know of any movement going on whatsoever with Avatar? I actually want it to be good as I see a lot of potential there even if I'm skeptical about what Disney will actually develop with it... any info of any kind on it would at least help get that skepticism a little down.

The specifics are....

....if they build it, it will be in the AK.

Tom

Beta Return
NO. WAY. I thought it was going to be built in the middle of the Epcot Lagoon. Thank you for the specific. ;)
We are on page 28.
So far we have learned one thing: No one knows anything.

Precisely my point. There is one and only one specific we know.....after 28 pages.....

...if it happens, it will be in Animal Kingdom.

Pretty sad that we've been discussing it to the point of exhaustion, but literally know nothing more than that.

Tim_4

WHAT specifics?! :D

(Hey...it's true... sigh. o_O)

Any Insiders know of any movement going on whatsoever with Avatar? I actually want it to be good as I see a lot of potential there even if I'm skeptical about what Disney will actually develop with it... any info of any kind on it would at least help get that skepticism a little down.
The problem (not problem per se, but delay) with Avatar is that NOBODY knew about it even at fairly high levels within the company. WDI has a lot of projects they tinker with that are basically "on the shelf" until they're called upon. For example, if they decided tomorrow to do a Beastly Kingdom instead of Avatar, they would already have a head start with the research, designs, and concept work based on all the crap they had done back when the project was initially considered. They had NONE of that concept/design/development done when Avatar was announced so they basically had to go to a blank slate.

One detail that HAS been discussed is that Camp Minnie Mickey will be the location and that FotLK will be moving to Africa.

Bairstow

...plus the Pandoraland decision and announcement was made without his input or knowledge.
...not that he owns the park or anything.

the.dreamfinder

...plus the Pandoraland decision and announcement was made without his input or knowledge.
...not that he owns the park or anything.
“It’s like you have these dear children and you have to give them up to be adopted by convicted child molesters.” - John Lasseter on Disney circa 2004-5

cheezbat

We are on page 28.
So far we have learned one thing: No one knows anything.

And that's really sad. Just shows if this project does officially get off the ground, we're easily not seeing Avatarland until at least 2017...that's way too long between any additions at DAK. Something else should be fast tracked immediately.

SleepingMonk

Pretty good odds...but that's because he's still ed about Disney botching up his trophy animatronic and making him look like a fool on all the Travel Channel shows.

How did "Disney" botch that?

He was head of the project, if something was wrong in the design or execution he alone has the blame.

Pixiedustmaker

The problem (not problem per se, but delay) with Avatar is that NOBODY knew about it even at fairly high levels within the company. WDI has a lot of projects they tinker with that are basically "on the shelf" until they're called upon. For example, if they decided tomorrow to do a Beastly Kingdom instead of Avatar, they would already have a head start with the research, designs, and concept work based on all the crap they had done back when the project was initially considered. They had NONE of that concept/design/development done when Avatar was announced so they basically had to go to a blank slate.

One detail that HAS been discussed is that Camp Minnie Mickey will be the location and that FotLK will be moving to Africa.

Here's a link to a video where Iger talks about it (I'm sure folks here have seen it before). Iger talks about Avatar being one of the most memorable films ever made . . . "most innovative and visually stunning." I can't for the life of me remember the name of any of the humans in it, so I think they want first and foremost for the guests to be able to "walk on Pandora through that rain forest", as Cameron basically says and to fly with the creatures, and to experience stuff not yet seen, an obvious reference to the upcoming Avatar films. Cameron obviously talks about new ride systems being thought up by imagineering and his team working on this project.

http://entertainmentdesigner.com/ne...erience-coming-to-walt-disney-resort-in-2016/

Big things holding up this project:

1. There are two creative forces, Cameron's team and Imagineering. There are going to be differences of opinion, Cameron wants guests to experience Pandora's rainforest and he describes a project on a massive scale. Hmmm . . . he might not know that these projects often get whittled down, unless you're a big whig like John Lasseter who can push funding for his pet projects like Carsland.

2. Avatarland is 100% Iger's pet project. He went nuts over the Avatar film and believes it to be a very memorable, innovative film. Avatar's star has faded since the film came out, and Iger will eventually leave Disney, stepping down as CEO in 2015. I get the feeling that a lot in the company feel that with Disney's film legacy growing every year, the need to gobble up other franchises for the parks has diminished.

3. Carsland is a bigger hit than expected. The executives at Burbank have to figure out why, and I think Lasseter gets more influence, would he push Avatar over a Pixar or Disney related project?

4. Avatar, the film Iger loves, has a lot of heavy adult themes, smoking, macho military characters and violence . . . translating this to just Pandora and making the new land relatable to guests will take a lot of time and head scratching. Its not really Avatarland (unless they put in the military/villains), but Pandoraland . . . which is kind of a vague concept with just one film.

http://entertainmentdesigner.com/ne...erience-coming-to-walt-disney-resort-in-2016/

SleepingMonk

...Pandoraland . . . which is kind of a vague concept with just one film....

Billion dollar dreams will quickly become bargain basement designs.

They'll be lucky to end up with this...

dsc06372p.jpg

Botanicus II, Return To The Green Planet.

td1129

And that's really sad. Just shows if this project does officially get off the ground, we're easily not seeing Avatarland until at least 2017...that's way too long between any additions at DAK. Something else should be fast tracked immediately.

Air tight logic if I've ever seen it.

RSoxNo1

Billion dollar dreams will quickly become bargain basement designs.

They'll be lucky to end up with this...

dsc06372p.jpg

Botanicus II, Return To The Green Planet.
ET is a better attraction than any Fantasyland ride.

Air tight logic if I've ever seen it.

He's right though.

hollywoodj

Just because we haven't heard any specifics on the project doesn't mean it's getting pushed back or even not happening. Disney's doing what they're best at -- keeping it secretive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom