ulto22

I figure, the concept is basically what the movie is. Jake gets into the pod, and controls the avatar from there. Apply it to HMD with some impressive 3d visuals( James cameron's specialty) and you have an immersive environment that people wanted when the movie came out.

Or im just reaching for that great smelling pie in the sky.

I just cant imagine the droves of people with virtual reality helmets on. Hilarious.

I laughed, thanks for the visual

WDWFREAK53

Virtual Reality for the entire land will be an epic fail.

People don't want to be in a virtual world...they want something they can feel, see, smell, etc. It doesn't matter how great the technology is...it will never seem completely "real."

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

People don't want to be in a virtual world...they want something they can feel, see, smell, etc. It doesn't matter how great the technology is...it will never seem completely "real."

Agree. There is no reason to spend the money to travel to central Florida to put on a head set and enter a virtual world. Plus, anyone see Total Recall? There is no way Disney is going to risk people losing their mind because of an attraction. :lookaroun

ulto22

No, I never considered having the whole attraction virtual reality. A single attraction could be, but a physical land is a must.

NoChesterHester

Agree. There is no reason to spend the money to travel to central Florida to put on a head set and enter a virtual world. Plus, anyone see Total Recall? There is no way Disney is going to risk people losing their mind because of an attraction. :lookaroun

http://www.howstuffworks.com/augmented-reality.htm

Augmented reality is more likely. Lots of research going on surrounding its use and implementation. Give it another 5 years, the technology may be ready.

skellington22

The more I think about it the more the "land" makes sense as a human research outpost on Pandora. The gift shops and dining could be right there. Attractions could be excursions into the wild.

All could be enclosed then with separate buildings -now no big single 12 acre enclosure required...

i agree .... thatll most likely be what happens

Bairstow

http://www.howstuffworks.com/augmented-reality.htm

Augmented reality is more likely. Lots of research going on surrounding its use and implementation. Give it another 5 years, the technology may be ready.

I don't see this as being workable for a main theme park experience yet, BUT I wouldn't be surprised if it would be considered to be integrated as an optional experience for guests that utilizes their own pads, phones, and devices, like the Kim Possible thing.

AEfx

I think it's possible to create the illusion of the floating mountains by cleverly disguising the structure. Cantilivered, low density foam "rocks", using steel "vines" between them as in the film. Remember they had water streaming off of them as well, a support could be inside a waterfall. There seem to be several tricks they could use to achieve that in a limited sense, anyway. I still think that it will be tricky from an engineering standpoint--I'm sure a few pencils are being sharpened, there.

They can't find a way to make the Animatronic in the one mountain they have move without threatening to tear down the structure.

Somehow, I feel as if moving several mountains around daily would be beyond their capabilities.

skellington22

No, I never considered having the whole attraction virtual reality. A single attraction could be, but a physical land is a must.

im afraid even a single attraction would be a disappointment to visitors...

people want to be able to emerse themselves into the experience... virtual reality is...well...boring

nace888

What if it was a multi-level walk-through type thing? With touch sensitive floors and plants, as well as animatronic creatures??

Bairstow

What if it was a multi-level walk-through type thing? With touch sensitive floors and plants, as well as animatronic creatures??

I don't think the whole attraction could be walk-through, for flow issues, but after seeing things like the castle tour option at Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and MANTA at Sea World, I wouldn't be surprised if Imagineering tried their hand at billing the queue as an attraction that can be experienced separately.

Bairstow

The difficulties are primarily cost and logistical. You can't presume that every guest is going to come with a camera-enabled smartphone/pad with a processor fast enough to handle streaming video AND that they're going to be compatible with the park's software. So you have to issue them. Then you've got the issue of hundreds, if not thousands of mobile devices, each costing at least hundreds of dollars constantly being circulated in guest hands. That's before you get into the issues of handicapped/foreign language/ very young guests trying to use the things, glitches, and so forth.

Affixing the things to a ride vehicle, like night vision goggles, presents its own daunting operational issues, most of which stem from rider compliance and reliability.

For a C-ticket side attraction, it has potential, but I don't see advancement in technology overcoming any of the problems with augmented reality except perhaps cost and reliability.

As the main feature of the land, its limitations outweigh the advantages, and moreover you're basically just inviting someone to a theme park to play video games, something they can do from the comfort of home.

PeterAlt

Disney announced Avatar "land" will open at DAK in 2015. Attractions are yet to be announced. I put some thought as to what possible attractions might be being worked on. Taking into account that James Cameron said recently in an LA Times article that one attraction will involve "a simulation of flight", I will venture to guess that this will not be a flight simulator of the likes of Star Tours or Mission Space, since those types of attractions have "been there, done that". While brainstorming what is could possibly be, I suddenly remembered the flying dragons. An interactive ride simulating a dragon-back flight over the mountains and through the waterfalls of Pandora would be awesome! For purposes of this post, I wanted to know the proper name of these creatures, so I Googled it. They are called Mountain Banshees by humans and Ikran by the Na'vi. The really big ones are called Toruk by the Na'vi and Great Leonopteryx by humans. While in Google, I found an article this article:

http://www./2012/06/disney-imaginee...ounding-avatar-addition-to-walt-disney-world/

JCtheparrothead

This article surfaced in a couple other forums too. Disney denies it has anything to do with Avatar but who knows. You might want to do a quick search of the boards as well because there is one particular discussion about the simulator that might be part of Avatarland and it includes pictures of the patent.

Mike730

Disney announced Avatar "land" will open at DAK in 2015. Attractions are yet to be announced. I put some thought as to what possible attractions might be being worked on. Taking into account that James Cameron said recently in an LA Times article that one attraction will involve "a simulation of flight", I will venture to guess that this will not be a flight simulator of the likes of Star Tours or Mission Space, since those types of attractions have "been there, done that". While brainstorming what is could possibly be, I suddenly remembered the flying dragons. An interactive ride simulating a dragon-back flight over the mountains and through the waterfalls of Pandora would be awesome! For purposes of this post, I wanted to know the proper name of these creatures, so I Googled it. They are called Mountain Banshees by humans and Ikran by the Na'vi. The really big ones are called Toruk by the Na'vi and Great Leonopteryx by humans. While in Google, I found an article this article:

http://www./2012/06/disney-imaginee...ounding-avatar-addition-to-walt-disney-world/
Unfortunately, we have had at least one insider confirm that this isn't at all for Avatarland. Of course everything is subject to change, but at the moment it appeared as if they were being developed for a non-US park.

bubbles1812

WHAT specifics?! :D

(Hey...it's true... sigh. o_O)

Any Insiders know of any movement going on whatsoever with Avatar? I actually want it to be good as I see a lot of potential there even if I'm skeptical about what Disney will actually develop with it... any info of any kind on it would at least help get that skepticism a little down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom