doctornick

I dont give a rats poop chute about specs, how about just a photo or a video besides the 5 seconds of what we saw on the ABC night line show (or whatever show that was), which was not much at all.

I'm not sure any video of FoP would do it justice. For starters, it is in 3D so it wouldn't look right; secondly, it's the movement of the ride vehicle in tandem with the screen images that forms the basis for the ride and that can't really be replicated via video.

I think releasing any sort of ride video would be to the detriment for Disney since it would not really convey the ride and wouldn't generate any "hype".

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm not sure any video of FoP would do it justice. For starters, it is in 3D so it wouldn't look right; secondly, it's the movement of the ride vehicle in tandem with the screen images that forms the basis for the ride and that can't really be replicated via video.

I think releasing any sort of ride video would be to the detriment for Disney since it would not really convey the ride and wouldn't generate any "hype".
I wasnt speaking about an on ride video. Just maybe some video of the queue or the laod area, or anything at all about the attraction. I do agree that an on ride video would be pointless. The lack of any form of media is a little disturbing. Why would they not showcase any aspect of it? Not saying it wont be good, just curios

Figments Friend

Part of the reason why so little is being said about specifics related to 'Flight of Passage' is simply this - Disney wants to surprise you.

It might be difficult for today's internet generation to understand, but there was once a time when major Attractions were kept 'top secret' to build up momento and 'buzz' that would finally be whipped up into a climax for Opening Day.
It builds up excitement for what is about to be unleashed.
I think a lot of the public at large sometimes forgets about this tool of showmanship.

'Flight of Passage' is a unique, cutting edge application of several different technologies and show presentation systems and nobody involved wants to risk spoiling the 'big reveal' by blabbing all about the specifics of it all right now.
The creators likely want to instill a sense of mystery and a feeling of the unknown...which is exactly how Guests should be feeling when they enter Pandora to begin with.

Be patient, kids.
The end result shall indeed be well worth the wait.

Remember, ya gotta have " faith and trust, ...and a little bit of pixie dust..."
:)

-

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Part of the reason why so little is being said about specifics related to 'Flight of Passage' is simply this - Disney wants to surprise you.

It might be difficult for today's internet generation to understand, but there was once a time when major Attractions were kept 'top secret' to build up momento and 'buzz' that would finally be whipped up into a climax for Opening Day.
I think a lot of the public at large sometimes forgets about this tool of showmanship.

'Flight of Passage' is a unique, cutting edge application of several different technologies and show presentation systems and nobody involved wants to risk spoiling the 'big reveal' by blabbing all about the specifics of it all right now.
The creators likely want to instill a sense of mystery and a feeling of the unknown...which is exactly how Guests should be feeling when they enter Pandora to begin with.

Be patient, kids.

Remember, ya gotta have " faith and trust, ...and a little bit of pixie dust..."

-
I get what your saying and hope you are correct. But if Disney does indeed practice "showmanship" in this fashion, then why did they do the exact opposite with 7DMT?

Incomudro

Be patient, kids.

-
Agreed.
Being able to log onto something and view a video is still a recent thing in the time span of my 53 year old life.
I

Mike S

Not at all. If some Imagineer proposes something and it never gets approved, how is that possibly a "cut"? "Cut" implies something that was at one point actually planned and was later removed. Apparently, at no point was there was budget for Pandora that ever accounted for 3 rides; just because someone pitched the idea doesn't mean anything.

Diagon (and Cars Land) is a very different type of land, so it will be tough to directly compare regardless. That said, the comment that @Magic Feather made seemed to be directed at the common complaint about the look of a land overshadowing the "stuff to do" (i.e. attractions). I do think that is a legit complaint about Diagon Alley where there is only one ride within the actual land and it was somewhat overhyped (and too similar in experience to virtually every other new Uni attraction). DA is fantastic to explore -- and hopefully Pandora will be as well -- but that detail is largely spent on places to sell you stuff.

I do hope @Magic Feather is correct and that the "substance" of the attractions is not lacking.
Say what you want about the quality of Gringotts but other than that DA is exactly as it should be. If the aim is to be faithful to the source material then Gringotts should be the only ride within the actual alley.
I expect less out of the boat ride than I do Flights of Passage.
I'm of the belief that we are going to be quite impressed with FoP.
I'm betting the visuals are far superior to those of Soarin', and we can already tell that the ride itself is more radical.
You know that we're going to plummet off of those cliffs!
I'm betting that other sensory elements are upped a few notches over those of Soarin'.
So we're all okay when Disney simulates falling? ;)

Be patient, kids.

-
That's how it was for me before I rode Forbidden Journey for the first time. I got off that ride grinning from ear to ear in shear amazement. Now, I spoil myself too much by following this site. I want to know but I also don't. It's so confusing! :hilarious:

Cesar R M

If this is true, it begs the question - what is wrong with Disney management that they ever thought a slow 2.5 minute boat journey would be an acceptable ride? That would have essentially been the length of Maelstrom if everything after the polar bear is cut. That's insane.

Also "cut" vs. "opted out of" is a bit "Po-tay-to" vs. "Po-tah-to" - the point is Disney continues to limit projects as much as they think they can get away with.

Finally, I've said above that I think Pandora will be a very nice land, but come on - nothing we've seen at any step of the process hints it will have more substance than Diagon, which is very dense with detail and things to do and, along with Carsland, is the pinnacle of this sort of IP land.
That seems to be the focus on attractions lately, shortest rides as possible, huge "detailed" queues, and tons of stores.
Aka they want YOU to be the majority of your time BUYING OUTSIDE than being in queues or in the attractions themselves.

Cesar R M

I think Uni has too many screens - it's particularly a problem in the Studio's entrance corridor (Minions, Shrek, Fallon, etc.) - but it's a stretch to lump Gringots in there (it also puts River Expedition - with one AA and other creatures on screens) on shaky ground. I also think it's a little disingenuous not to include Hogwart's Express.

All that is beside the point, because the the shops, restaurants, little corners, special effects, etc. - are the substance. They're what elevates the land.
It actually surprised me that there are animatronics in stores in Diagon Alley and not just in some queues or rides themselves.

Cesar R M

There is a sameness in the Studios entrance corridor between Minions, Shrek, Fallon, and Terminator. Lump Simpsons in there too. But Gringotts, Kong, HE, and particularly Mummy are quite different in feel and style, and if you dismiss them as "screen heavy," its tricky to defend RJ, promotional footage of which has shown us a screen behind foliage over and over again. As to FoP and the Falcon ride, of course, both are screen based simulators.

And I actually think NFL gets a bad rap. It's pretty good and I think Mermaid is a strong addition in the Fantasy Land dark ride style. With another ride and a few more nooks, crannies, and stores it could have been great.
Honestly, my main complain about NFL is not the rides itself, but the bland theme cohesion in the area. You get just huge swats of walkways with zero detail that would make you feel like in a fantasy land.
Compared to.. adventure land for example or Tomorrowland. Both these areas have pathways and designs according to what they show.
Also there is so much darkness in fantasyland at night its not funny.
They missed the opportunity to make shadow areas, themed street lamps, props..etc..

Cesar R M

Sometimes we just don't get the full specs on a new ride or attraction until it opens.

Opinions will then have to be based on the experience of the ride rather than the theoretical crunching of specs, which don't always tell you if it will be a good ride or not. For example, the Spider-Man ride at Universal is one of the best dark rides ever. And so, they cloned the specs to create a Transformers ride which is a hot mess and sucks (IMO). The specs of the ride wouldn't have told one that the Transformer's use of the screens was a strobe of indistinguishable actions and explosions leaving you constantly asking, "What the heck is happening?"
Agree, I got actually very dizzy in some scenes because the action is so fast and the 3d does not work that well on fast action (focusing issues, blurring). But Spiderman was definitively top notch.

Be patient, kids.

-
I'm going to be ignoring a lot of these threads and videos until I get to know the land.

Definitively something I wouldnt want to be spoiled.

Casper Gutman

That seems to be the focus on attractions lately, shortest rides as possible, huge "detailed" queues, and tons of stores.
Aka they want YOU to be the majority of your time BUYING OUTSIDE than being in queues or in the attractions themselves.

Disney's philosophy has seemed very contradictory lately. The logic of MM+ is that people don't wait in lines but instead peruse stores - so you'd expect Disney to put less emphasis on themed lines and more on lots of little stores with unique, immersive merchandise (see Diagon for the second part of this). But Disney isn't really doing this. Instead, you get rhetoric about how the line is a key component of the attraction (so it's ok if the ride itself is only 2.5 minute) - and then they encourage you to skip the line!

Incomudro

Virtually all of the newest Uni headliner attractions -- FJ, Mummy, Transformers, Kong, Gringotts, even stuff like Simpsons and Despicable Me to some extent -- rely heavily on screens and motion of your vehicle interacting with them and some sort of variant on the "and something went terribly wrong" storyline. It's not that any of these in isolation aren't quality, even great, rides but that there is a certain degree of sameness that pervades the attractions. There's nothing wrong with thrill rides with screen based effects, but that gets overplayed at Uni; perhaps I'm naive, but the buildup for Gringotts seemed to label it as something new and groundbreaking, but it seems like more of the same for those parks.

(I'll note that Rip Ride Rockit is an exception among new headliners to this trend)

NRJ is a completely different animal. It's going to be a calm family ride and is going to compliment the other offerings in DAK. In fact, I think DAK could use another couple of rides in the same vein. Now, I can't speak to the quality of it at this point since I haven't ridden it and we don't know a lot about it. But I hope that @Magic Feather is correct that the "substance" of the land and specifically the rides is of good quality and it doesn't suffer from the issues of the FL expansion (nice to look at, but attractions that fail to live up to the environment).

The "There you are!" "Come with us!" "We'll get you out of here!" thing got old quick when we visited Uni for the first (only) time in May 2016.
My twin sons, 14 years old at the time - noticed it quick and were not into it.
After about the third ride - Despicable Me, Spider Man, Transformers - they were asking "Is this ride going to be another one of those?"

Incomudro

Say what you want about the quality of Gringotts but other than that DA is exactly as it should be. If the aim is to be faithful to the source material then Gringotts should be the only ride within the actual alley.

So we're all okay when Disney simulates falling? ;)

That's how it was for me before I rode Forbidden Journey for the first time. I got off that ride grinning from ear to ear in shear amazement. Now, I spoil myself too much by following this site. I want to know but I also don't. It's so confusing! :hilarious:

Falling with style.

Casper Gutman

The "There you are!" "Come with us!" "We'll get you out of here!" thing got old quick when we visited Uni for the first (only) time in May 2016.
After about the third ride - Despicable Me, Spider Man, Transformers - they were asking "Is this ride going to be another one of those?"

That's an odd choice for the first three rides...

The "something goes wrong thing" is a result of a change in the philosophy behind theme park rides that has been underway for decades now. As "immersion" and, particularly, "immersion within a copyright-able fictional universe" becomes the goal of theme parks, the guests role in the story must be explained. You are doing something relatively normal and "Something goes wrong" is an easy explanation for why passengers are part of a thrill ride narrative. Disney does it with most of their modern rides and virtually all of their IP rides, including Star Tours (both versions), Mystic Manor, E:E, Dinosaur, Stitch, the original Kilimanjaro Safari, Kali River Rapids, Indiana Jones, ToT, the Hong Kong Iron Man attraction, HIStA, Philharmagic, etc.

There are variations within the roles assigned within these Disney attractions, of course, just as their are at Uni - in Transformers you're a NEST Agent, in Spidey a reporter at the Bugle, at Despicable Me a new minion - which get set up in the pre-show. If you look only at the ride plot in the broadest terms, however, they tend to be identical.

"You are doing a thing and everything goes exactly as expected" doesn't really work for attractions that are meant to offer any sort of thrill - it's one of the big problems with M:S.

The old model, of course, was simply not to offer a narrative for guest involvement. Why are you on board a runaway mine train? Because you are, Why are you in a cart moving past scenes from old animated movies? No particular reason. When Disney tries this model today, they tend to get criticized for book report rides - witness Little Mermaid (even Mermaid attempts to situate the rider within the narrative via Scuttle "telling" us the story).

Rutt

I have to agree. My 12 and 8 year old sons were both done with it by the time we hit Transformers (we had done Spiderman, Simpsons and Minions already). Uniquely, very fun rides but variety is sorely missing.
On the other hand, Jurassic Park and the Mummy are my 12 year old's favourites now, surpassing Everest.

That's an odd choice for the first three rides...

The "something goes wrong thing" is a result of a change in the philosophy behind theme park rides that has been underway for decades now. As "immersion" and, particularly, "immersion within a copyright-able fictional universe" becomes the goal of theme parks, the guests role in the story must be explained. You are doing something relatively normal and "Something goes wrong" is an easy explanation for why passengers are part of a thrill ride narrative. Disney does it with most of their modern rides and virtually all of their IP rides, including Star Tours (both versions), Mystic Manor, E:E, Dinosaur, Stitch, the original Kilimanjaro Safari, Kali River Rapids, Indiana Jones, ToT, the Hong Kong Iron Man attraction, HIStA, Philharmagic, etc.

There are variations within the roles assigned within these Disney attractions, of course, just as their are at Uni - in Transformers you're a NEST Agent, in Spidey a reporter at the Bugle, at Despicable Me a new minion - which get set up in the pre-show. If you look only at the ride plot in the broadest terms, however, they tend to be identical.

"You are doing a thing and everything goes exactly as expected" doesn't really work for attractions that are meant to offer any sort of thrill - it's one of the big problems with M:S.

The old model, of course, was simply not to offer a narrative for guest involvement. Why are you on board a runaway mine train? Because you are, Why are you in a cart moving past scenes from old animated movies? No particular reason. When Disney tries this model today, they tend to get criticized for book report rides - witness Little Mermaid (even Mermaid attempts to situate the rider within the narrative via Scuttle "telling" us the story).
I think the actual ride type plays a big part in the whole 'Again?' with Universal.

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
I have to agree. My 12 and 8 year old sons were both done with it by the time we hit Transformers (we had done Spiderman, Simpsons and Minions already0. Uniquely, very fun rides but variety is sorely missing.
On the other hand, Jurassic Park and the Mummy are my 12 year old's favourites now, surpassing Everest.

We were the same by the time we hit Spider Man we were not impressed even though that was by far the best of the rides.... The Harry Potter Rides we all think are outstanding even if the one made me a little sick... was still cool cause th IP is cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom