HairyChest

And it is amazing.
Totally amazing.

James Cameron did not allow Disney to 'cheap out'.
People will be wowed.

Wait n' see, kids.

;)

-

are they saying the land is amazing, the rides, or everything? I'm doing fastpasses for my june trip now but having a hard time deciding which ride to fp+ and whether to do daytime or nighttime.

DDLand

Because those lands Africa and Asia already existed - and Pandora is new, so they're doing something new there.
I don't understand why this would annoy anyone.
Because this is part of a trend. Setting certain areas of parks tied to the hottest IP above others operationally. Disney's Animal Kingdom has always been an all encompassing experience. By setting certain areas above others, it belittles the rest of the park.

All lands need to function as part of the whole; with highest standards maintained. If Pandora's managment is really superior, then they should bring that same level of consistency to the entire park. Universal have also managed to create pockets within their parks too. This is an industry trend that is maddeningly inconsistent.

If they are planning on bringing this to rest of the park, then great. If industry trends are any indicator, don't hold your breath.

....Harambe and the India are based off of real places. We are visiting pandora, which is a fictional moon. It makes sense to not have them. Disney can theoretically be found in Africa and India, but it shouldn't be found in Pandora. It makes no difference to me but I understand why they wouldn't have them like how they currently do throughout the rest of the park. Can me move on from this.
It has nothing to do with premise.

Would you tap a glowing Mickey head before boarding a train to the base of the Himalayas? Would you tap a glowing Mickey head before departing on an African Safari? Would you tap a glowing Mickey head before embarking into the Jungles of South Asia?

No.

This has everything to do with letting an IP land play by a special set of rules. It promotes the idea that the land is more special.

Anyway, there's no reason to assume even in the Dystopian future of Tomorrow Mickey Mouse isn't a meaningful cultural symbol. The human expats could just love glowing Mickey heads and bring them to Pandora... ;)

Figments Friend

are they saying the land is amazing, the rides, or everything? I'm doing fastpasses for my june trip now but having a hard time deciding which ride to fp+ and whether to do daytime or nighttime.

Do both!
The land really cannot be fully appreciated until you see it in BOTH daylight and at night time.
It will be a completely different experience visually and atmospherically between the two time periods...as different as, well, 'day and night'...!
;)

I recommend waiting to do the 'Na'vi River Journey' until night time, only because I find that doing dark ride experiences in the evening enables you to better see the interior elements.
Your eyes are already adjusted to the lower light levels, so it just works.

'Flight Of Passage' will be a must do, but can be done in the daytime or evening...whichever works for you.
:)

Both the ride experiences and the land are going to be terrific and full of some beautiful eye candy.
It pays to pay attention to the details, and Pandora will be packed full of them.
The recent photos and video clips are just scratching the surface.

-

HairyChest

Do both!
The land really cannot be fully appreciated until you see it in BOTH daylight and at night time.
It will be a completely different experience visually and atmospherically between the two time periods...as different as, well, 'day and night'...!
;)

I recommend waiting to do the 'Na'vi River Journey' until night time, only because I find that doing dark ride experiences in the evening enables you to better see the interior elements.
Your eyes are already adjusted to the lower light levels, so it just works.

'Flight Of Passage' will be a must do, but can be done in the daytime or evening...whichever works for you.
:)

Both the ride experiences and the land are going to be terrific and full of some beautiful eye candy.
It pays to pay attention to the details, and Pandora will be packed full of them.
The recent photos and video clips are just scratching the surface.

-

Thanks figment. Yes Ill definitely be there for both but I'm deciding on when to reserve the fastpasses. Because of the extra magic hours in the evening I'm tempted to use my fastpass reservations at other locations during the day and just do emh at night but if its going to be 2+ hours of wait during emh id rather use my fastpasses on it. Right now I have flight of passage booked multiple times because I feel like that will be more in-demand and longer lines then the river journey.

startraveler

for anyone who has seen the flight of passage. There are individual "seats" I know and many younger kids with meet the safety height requirement. But are the seats close enough to each other for a parent to reach over to a child if they saw it was getting a little over whelming. Maybe a pat or hand-hold? I know this sounds really specific, but might make a difference. Thanks

DDLand

Lol so now complete immersion is a bad thing to some? Wow. I get some of the misgivings but come on. I think some people just hate the movie so much ... give the land a chance
To the contrary; I think complete immersion is excellent. If Disney has decided that the ease of use concerns were unfounded, remove the classic FP+ tap points in other completely immersive environments. If they are needed, they should use them.

That is what me and @egg wrote. All to the highest standard, or Avatar should conform.

This blanket accusation is tiresome. I am excited for the land. We can have reasonable discussions about the finer points without defaulting to "you hate the movie."

YodaMan

Lol so now complete immersion is a bad thing to some? Wow. I get some of the misgivings but come on. I think some people just hate the movie so much ... give the land a chance

I think the concern is where does the line get drawn. It's all a theme park, regardless of how immersive it is. Let's say Pandora doesn't have the traditional touch points because they don't fit the theme of Avatar and Avatar is an IP. And then when they get to Star Wars Land, let's say they also don't have the traditional touch points because they wouldn't fit in the world of Star Wars. But they also decide they won't have up signs for the attractions. Or posted wait times. Or anything "theme park" because it's an "immersive" land. I just see this possibly going too far.

TrojanUSC

What people are missing in this "immersive" discussion is that Lightstorm almost certainly has some very strict contractual stipulations about what "Disney" aspects are permitted into a land based on their IP. Given this, it isn't all that unlikely that Cameron nixed the traditional Mickey readers, generic shopping bags, etc.

Kman101

To the contrary; I think complete immersion is excellent. If Disney has decided that the ease of use concerns were unfounded, remove the classic FP+ tap points in other completely immersive environments. If they are needed, they should use them.

That is what me and @egg wrote. All to the highest standard, or Avatar should conform.

This blanket accusation is tiresome. I am excited for the land. We can have reasonable discussions about the finer points without defaulting to "you hate the movie."

I'm sorry if you think it's a "blanket accusation" but it comes off as hating complete immersion and hating the movie. That's how it comes across. If that really isn't the case, I do apologize to both you and @egg but it seems like you're simply arguing against immersion because of some hatred of the movie. You both explained yourself well enough, so thank you for that. I get where you both are coming from.

Kman101

No one is saying it's a problem, they are saying that if Avatarland is going to have this level of immersion, why don't other parts of the parks have it also.

I get that ... I guess I'll stop because I'm sort of being jumped on for wondering why immersion is being questioned and not appreciated. I want it in other lands too but the argument is a bit silly to me, though I understand it matters to others. JMO. Take it for what it is everyone.

I mean, these are new lands, designed very differently. Who knows how it would be if they came before the tapstiles. But they're just tapstiles. Do any of you WANT to see a Mickey-head tapstile in Pandora or Star Wars land?

And sorry but it did read as if it was a problem. I wouldn't have said something otherwise ... but I do understand where they're coming from. That's all I was trying to say ...

Kman101

Yes.
I just don't get the point of quibbling over something when we haven't even seen how it's being done yet.

Again, it reads as if they dislike the movie so they're finding a way to complain about it by wanting to know why Disney "prefers" SW and Pandora over the other lands, which reads how I took it. I know they say it's not but that's how I took it, and I appreciate one of them clarifying it, not that they really owed me anything.

To me, appreciate the immersion and stop trying to find a way to complain about something you haven't seen yet. The points are valid but I explained how I saw it. I'll move on. LOL

Sorry, I just try to ask questions and maybe come off a little pushy at times but it's just me trying to understand other viewpoints ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom