BrianLo

You're money!

And then there was Shanghai.....

shanghai-disneyland-229.png

Mike S

I feel like Beetlejuice; Quoted/Tagged three times!

Toothpicks were still up on the bottom half of the range

6066303010_76869c5a4e_z.jpg

Some of the final structures were just being added.

6044198195_3e1c19aac0_z.jpg

6044748822_98c1d01e25_z.jpg

The last portion of the rock work was just getting filled in.

6200550169_c7bfde95da_z.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Trees were going in, but no pathways yet.

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

Ground prefab flourishes were being brought in.

disney_carsland_leaningtoweroftires.jpg

Toothpicks are off the mountains - but >3/4 of the range, some of the final structures are being added (River Journey Queue), the last portion of rock work is about to be filled in, trees are going in (and some preliminary pathways), ground prefab flourishes are being brought in.

10-13-2016-3-12-23-pm-jpg.169286

The one big difference is Carsland is more busy with structures whereas Pandora needs to be filled in primarily with plant life.
We also have no idea how the inside is progressing but I still have hope.

BrianLo

We also have no idea how the inside is progressing but I still have hope.

There has been some suggestion (@1023) that cycling and/or vehicle installation have started.

RSR is a super weird comparable. They basically installed the track first and had it cycling in 2010 before taking away the test vehicle and then completing the mountain. Cycles didn't resume until about 4-5 months out.

Word on the street was a few SDL attractions barely cycled at all - lone and behold they were all 'rideable'. So if the rumour is true that ride testing is occurring, things sound more than on track for the first half of 2017.

Cesar R M

I found this as part of the November event, Sunday the 20th:

11:05 a.m. — Pandora – The World of AVATAR
AVATAR creators James Cameron (writer, director, producer) and Jon Landau (producer) and Imagineer Joe Rohde unveil new details about the immersive, 12-acre land coming soon to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

For some reason I thought there were two things taking place, one in the near future and this one in November, guess it's just the one. Getting my head all twisted following this thread and the Rivers of Light one.
At this point I think @wdwmagic will need to distribute breathing aparatuses or paper bags to help us control ourselves with that many reveals.

Cesar R M

cloud of negativity (especially on a Disney website!)
I think its because they have seen the pretty visible reduction of entertainment, quality from the Disney they knew, to the modern Disney.. along with the huge cynical price increases that boosted Disney's CEO and other executives into millionaire status.

Then, we are all sadly in the same situations. Were we just have to brace.. and say...

9axwZiz.gif

Cesar R M

I feel like Beetlejuice; Quoted/Tagged three times!

Toothpicks were still up on the bottom half of the range

6066303010_76869c5a4e_z.jpg

Some of the final structures were just being added.

6044198195_3e1c19aac0_z.jpg

6044748822_98c1d01e25_z.jpg

The last portion of the rock work was just getting filled in.

6200550169_c7bfde95da_z.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Trees were going in, but no pathways yet.

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

Ground prefab flourishes were being brought in.

disney_carsland_leaningtoweroftires.jpg

Toothpicks are off the mountains - but >3/4 of the range, some of the final structures are being added (River Journey Queue), the last portion of rock work is about to be filled in, trees are going in (and some preliminary pathways), ground prefab flourishes are being brought in.

10-13-2016-3-12-23-pm-jpg.169286

The one big difference is Carsland is more busy with structures whereas Pandora needs to be filled in primarily with plant life.
Speaking of greenery, Makes me wonder if the majority of the greenery infront will have to be artificial to support the night effects..etc..

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There has been some suggestion (@1023) that cycling and/or vehicle installation have started.

RSR is a super weird comparable. They basically installed the track first and had it cycling in 2010 before taking away the test vehicle and then completing the mountain. Cycles didn't resume until about 4-5 months out.

Word on the street was a few SDL attractions barely cycled at all - lone and behold they were all 'rideable'. So if the rumour is true that ride testing is occurring, things sound more than on track for the first half of 2017.

Actually, they built part of the final track early on, and attached it to a temporary section to create a test loop.

RSR3-032610-AVP.jpg

Siren

Since WDI has already shown video of them testing pathways with surfaces that glow and actually react to people walking on them like in the movie, I'm pretty sure they're planning on going beyond just glow-in-the-dark paints on the paths.

-Rob
Hi @Rob562! I'm talking about outside. I've already seen the video, it's pretty obvious that's for the indoor surface. It's just not practical for the outdoors. Plus, Dan already said they have outdoor paths that look sort of look like dirt, but I think it would be like so amazing and really pretty for some of the paths to glow at night.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hi @Rob562! I'm talking about outside. I've already seen the video, it's pretty obvious that's for the indoor surface. It's just not practical for the outdoors. Plus, Dan already said they have outdoor paths that look sort of look like dirt, but I think it would be like so amazing and really pretty for some of the paths to glow at night.

No reason to believe that technology couldn't be adapted for outside use.

Siren

No reason to believe that technology couldn't be adapted for outside use.
Hi @danlb_2000! Okay, I totally agree with you. We both know that Disney is capable of anything. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem all that practical to install the sensors outside in the ground across 12 or so acres of paths and walkways. Plus, those sensors would have to be able to withstand a substantial amount of foot traffic in Florida's rainy and humid climate.

With that said, if Disney does put that outside I would be totally blown away, even more than before. And, I'm already awestruck over the mountains alone and those aren't even done yet.

BrianLo

So I started staring at the model of Pandora last night...

I realized how annoyed I was that despite the entire land being displayed publicly in a model I seem to have a better grasp of how Star Wars is layed out. So I found the highest res photo of it I could on the internet (thanks @wdwmagic) and played 'find the people'.

This may help hardly anyone but me... but I am reminded of Camp Discovery and more-so the Vista Trail - on crack. I was kind of surprised that even when the climbing structure is discounted there is quite the little network of walkable areas to explore in that section of SDL. There is undoubtably even more going on here.

There is no linear trail in the traditional sense - but the entire land seems to be a web. I'd bet if you laid out all the walkways back to back there is more walkable area in Pandora then there is in all of Walt Disney Studios in Paris.

30342520602_00d649920c_o.jpg

So no... there is no "linear" trail... but there is a trail.

If they built an SDL-esque rope course in the expansion plot off to the side (with added theming elements) I'd be pretty satisfied with that. It would also be a lot cheaper and make way more sense than a bike roller coaster.

Siren

I realized how annoyed I was that despite the entire land being displayed publicly in a model I seem to have a better grasp of how Star Wars is layed out. So I found the highest res photo of it I could on the internet (thanks @wdwmagic) and played 'find the people'.

This may help hardly anyone but me... but I am reminded of Camp Discovery and more-so the Vista Trail - on crack. I was kind of surprised that even when the climbing structure is discounted there is quite the little network of walkable areas to explore in that section of SDL. There is undoubtably even more going on here.

There is no linear trail in the traditional sense - but the entire land seems to be a web. I'd bet if you laid out all the walkways back to back there is more walkable area in Pandora then there is in all of Walt Disney Studios in Paris.

If they built an SDL-esque rope course in the expansion plot off to the side (with added theming elements) I'd be pretty satisfied with that. It would also be a lot cheaper and make way more sense than a bike roller coaster.
OMG, @BrianLo -- this is really nice and it's so helpful. Thank you for highlighting all the paths and in pink, no less. LOL.

Like, I was just talking about the paths and what they may look like. But, I only had the original concept art to go by.
I don't need glasses or contacts but I could not see all of those paths. LOL.

Now, I get a real sense of Pandora and what it will be like to there. I also like how the paths are winding and look so spacious. Avatarland is so vast.

And, after looking at this model -- I do like the natural look of the paths. I don't want to see bright blue and green paths during the daytime -- that can easily be perceived as garish looking.

The paths can have like subtle influences of color the reflect the natural landscape, barely noticeable during the day but then light up the night. It could work in other parts of AK, too.

twebber55

the most interesting area to me right now is between the observation deck/bridge (far right next to far right floating mtns) to FOP entrance area because that area is so congested with trees. Obviously this area will be a popular area... i get the sense that observations bridge will stem from that far right building, maybe the building will be a navi culture learning center

Incomudro

That's exactly what it is, and its kind of ironic that instead of me providing evidence of the negative passive-aggressiveness a small group of mostly premium members give to this site, that they did it for me LOL. I feel like I'm taking bait to explain it even further but... I said 'complete' (notice the quotes) intentionally. It's amazing that this same group of trolls (who seem to turn up everywhere on this site) could turn my original post, in which I said: "I'm so excited to see the opening of this new land!" into something negative. I really think that if I ever found myself in such a cloud of negativity (especially on a Disney website!) that I would log off for a few days. I think some people or so deep into the inner workings of the parks that they are incapable of seeing the magic anymore. There's also a narcissistic quality to them as well in which what they are really trying to say is "I KNOW MORE THAN THE DISNEY IMAGINEERS", which we all know isn't true.

This is perhaps my favorite post of all I have read on this site.
Bravo, and Thank You.

Prototype82

I haven't seen it anywhere on this site, but the site that shall not be named reported a few days ago that CMs in Pandora will have to be proficient in the Na'vi language and culture.
I'm curious. The Na'vi are literally giants. How many CMs do you think they'll have covered in blue paint on stilts versus those portraying civilians/army personnel? Are we talking basic phrases and sentences here, or could cast members get away with gibberish?
Na'vi isn't exactly Klingon or Elvish in terms of popularity, right?
It will undoubtably be like WWOHP where any characters(or natives) will be encountered entirely through special effects, not actors. Cast members will most likely be represented as studious expedition guides that know the language. (Hence ACE). Keep in mind, all army personnel went back to earth in the events before this land. I think we're going to be very surprised by the CM interaction we'll see from this land. They aren't playing around with this project.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
It will undoubtably be like WWOHP where any characters(or natives) will be encountered entirely through special effects, not actors. Cast members will most likely be represented as studious expedition guides that know the language. (Hence ACE). Keep in mind, all army personnel went back to earth in the events before this land. I think we're going to be very surprised by the CM interaction we'll see from this land. They aren't playing around with this project.

Precisely.... Well.... very close....

*1023*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom