twebber55

@Atomicmickey - agree with you that that cave art could be something we see in the queue or boat ride. Given the whole culture and mythology of the Navi, there are opportunities for stunning artwork that provide backstory. Plus, Rhode loves details so we should be in for something quite special.

Joining in the 50th anniversary tangent...

DHS absolutely needs a Phase 3, but over the longer term. In fact, I'd rather wait for a 2025 opening and get a proper expansion than a phoned-in filler attraction opening 2021 that was done on a budget. Once Avatar, AK nights, TSL, and (especially) Star Wars open, AK and DHS both will have quality new additions that will completely alter touring patterns at WDW (this fact is key for one park in particular). With these coming on line 2017 thru 2019, that will be enough to sustain buzz and crowds at those parks through the 50th.

The places where WDW will need to focus are MK and Epcot.

By the time 2021 rolls around at MK, New Fantasyland is going to be ancient news. At minimum, a completely revamped Tomorrowland (right down to every ride vehicle and facade) will be necessary, along with new parade(s) and firework show. Besides, I think it's fair to say that the park that is actually turning 50 years old should get something new to commemorate the event.

As far as Epcot goes, Disney is deluding itself if it thinks Frostrom and the new Soarin' are going to be enough to sustain that park through 2020 and beyond. MK will always attract crowds, especially during the 50th, and DHS and AK will have still-shining new rides and shows. Epcot is going to need major overhauls of at least 3 Future World pavilions (yes, 3 - pick any you want), a new fireworks show, and maybe even a new ride in World Showcase just to keep up. For the past decade, Epcot's been able to survive not because because DHS and AK were viewed as "worse." Not only will the upcoming additions give DHS and AK formidable attraction lineups that will far outmatch Epcot's, they will also give those parks evening offerings that will rapidly eat into Epcot's food and beverage margins (pun!), starting later this year and only getting worse with time.

Without multiple major overhauls throughout the park, Epcot could well become the odd one out, a park people skip as they go to the shiny new things at AK and DHS. It desperately needs a DHS style re-boot in time for its 40th in 2022.
oh i definitely think that painting is without a doubt cave art for the boat ride queue

Mike S

@Atomicmickey - agree with you that that cave art could be something we see in the queue or boat ride. Given the whole culture and mythology of the Navi, there are opportunities for stunning artwork that provide backstory. Plus, Rohde loves details so we should be in for something quite special.

DHS absolutely needs a Phase 3, but over the longer term. In fact, I'd rather wait for a 2025 opening and get a proper expansion than a phoned-in filler attraction opening 2021 that was done on a budget. Once Avatar, AK nights, TSL, and (especially) Star Wars open, AK and DHS both will have quality new additions that will completely alter touring patterns at WDW (this fact is key for one park in particular). With these coming on line 2017 thru 2019, that will be enough to sustain buzz and crowds at those parks through the 50th.

By the time 2021 rolls around at MK, New Fantasyland is going to be ancient news. At minimum, a completely revamped Tomorrowland (right down to every ride vehicle and facade) will be necessary, along with new parade(s) and firework show. Besides, I think it's fair to say that the park that is actually turning 50 years old should get something new to commemorate the event.

As far as Epcot goes, Disney is deluding itself if it thinks Frostrom and the new Soarin' are going to be enough to sustain that park through 2020 and beyond. MK will always attract crowds, especially during the 50th, and DHS and AK will have still-shining new rides and shows. Epcot is going to need major overhauls of at least 3 Future World pavilions (yes, 3 - pick any you want), a new fireworks show, and maybe even a new ride in World Showcase just to keep up. For the past decade, Epcot's been able to survive not because because DHS and AK were viewed as "worse." Not only will the upcoming additions give DHS and AK formidable attraction lineups that will far outmatch Epcot's, they will also give those parks evening offerings that will rapidly eat into Epcot's food and beverage margins (pun!), starting later this year and only getting worse with time.

Without multiple major overhauls throughout the park, Epcot could well become the odd one out, a park people skip as they go to the shiny new things at AK and DHS. It desperately needs a DHS style re-boot in time for its 40th in 2022.
MK 50th: New Tomorrowland with updated everything except the Buck Rogers style future aesthetic which I think fits very well. Also a new GotG E Ticket in one of two possible expansion pads.

Epcot 40th: New Energy and Imagination, reopened Wonders of Life.

DHS phase 3: Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition.

JohnWD

When is the 40th? A refurbished Energy (I love it) would be great. Imagination should just be replaced with something new. Wonder of Life = BORING (sacrilege I know), so something completely new is needed.

Mike S

When is the 40th? A refurbished Energy (I love it) would be great. Imagination should just be replaced with something new. Wonder of Life = BORING (sacrilege I know), so something completely new is needed.
2022. For Imagination all the space for a much better ride is there. Image Works used to be on the second floor and the ride took up the whole first floor. By reopened Wonders of Life I just mean reopen the pavilion with actual attractions again. It doesn't have to be the old come back from the grave.

BrianLo

oh i definitely think that painting is without a doubt cave art for the boat ride queue

Flight of passage actually.

Looks stellar!

I think we can finally expect *something* for Epcot in 2020ish timeframe. Unfortunately, it is getting a semi-substantial investment this year, but misdirected.

When it does happen, I imagine it will come out of the blue. A bit like Test Track 2.0. Unfortunately I think it will continue to be quite piece-meal rather than a concerted DCA/DHS like redo.

Contrary to what we see, there are folks in the halls of WDI desperate to fix up Epcot.

Last edited:

gmajew

Look at what Universal is doing with Kong right now... They are making an incredible single property ride... It is well themed and should be awesome! Now if Disney spends and does that type of thing for the one off attractions then I am all on board...

I would prefer more of that and less The living seas Nemo

Mike S

Look at what Universal is doing with Kong right now... They are making an incredible single property ride... It is well themed and should be awesome! Now if Disney spends and does that type of thing for the one off attractions then I am all on board...

Do it with Jungle Book in Animal Kingdom.

gmajew

Do it with Jungle Book in Animal Kingdom.

Yeah the movie really gave that IP some new life... Anyone know the cost on Kong?

Again I think Disney can spend a ton of money wisely and get 5-6 new attractions for 700M. This would be a combination of redos, Imagination, Energy, and new experiences.

I am building a new restaurant budget was out of control i got my pencil and sharpened it and cut 40% from the budget and the place is freaking incredible.... Non union labor was a big help

raymusiccity

He was often successful in the past because he took all the time and spent all the money you wanted to, to get the movies done the way he wanted them. That's not going to work if there are looking to release three movies one year appart.

I don't think Peter Jackson would agree with you about that! All three LOTR films went before the cameras at roughly the same time. Jackson said it took about a year and a half. Of course they had to go back for specific location shots and additional green screens......and then release them a year apart.

clemmo

Completely agree with all the comments that dhs needs a phase 3 at some point but likely phases 1-2 will be successful enough that I'm worried if they push it back too far it'll never come back. Epcot needs help badly but I'm not sure it'll get it in time for the 40th hopefully I'm wrong. Imagination energy and wonders of life need major renovations now or else they'll have to pay people to get in line for those. The dak could still use a dinoland over haul to what it was originally intended but that's at the bottom of the shopping list for me right now. The mk is fine besides tomorrowland and new nighttime attractions. Back on topic to avatar this looks like it'll be one of the most underrated lands/new attractions at any Disney park I feel like it goes largely under the radar.

brb1006

Honestly, I don't see why Disney would do anything special for the 50th. People are going to come regardless, why would they spend money when they will already have a packed house. That wouldn't be financially wise. As a fan I can see wanting it, but they can't have any strong desire to do that. At best a small upgrade to a show, or special fireworks. The years following the 50th, that's when they would want more "new" things to draw people in. The only reason something would open up right before the 50th is if something fell behind schedule.
I wish Disney went back to doing stuff like this for a major milestone like the 20th Anniversary did.

brb1006

@Atomicmickey - agree with you that that cave art could be something we see in the queue or boat ride. Given the whole culture and mythology of the Navi, there are opportunities for stunning artwork that provide backstory. Plus, Rohde loves details so we should be in for something quite special.

As far as Epcot goes, Disney is deluding itself if it thinks Frostrom and the new Soarin' are going to be enough to sustain that park through 2020 and beyond. MK will always attract crowds, especially during the 50th, and DHS and AK will have still-shining new rides and shows. Epcot is going to need major overhauls of at least 3 Future World pavilions (yes, 3 - pick any you want), a new fireworks show, and maybe even a new ride in World Showcase just to keep up. For the past decade, Epcot's been able to survive because DHS and AK were viewed as "worse" options. Not only will the upcoming additions give DHS and AK formidable attraction lineups that will far outmatch Epcot's, they will also give those parks evening offerings that will rapidly eat into Epcot's food and beverage margins (pun!), starting later this year and only getting worse with time.

MK 50th: New Tomorrowland with updated everything except the Buck Rogers style future aesthetic which I think fits very well. Also a new GotG E Ticket in one of two possible expansion pads.

DHS phase 3: Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition.
I'm going to bet a new nighttime parade will debut for the 50th along with a daytime anniversary parade similar to the Parade Of Dreams.

doctornick

Completely agree with all the comments that dhs needs a phase 3 at some point but likely phases 1-2 will be successful enough that I'm worried if they push it back too far it'll never come back.

This is what I'm worried about. I'm hoping they plan and start some sort of Phase 3 before Star Wars opens -- like TSL opens in early 2018 and they tear down IJ stunt show and begin building Phase 3 in that area. That way, things would already be in motion by the time Star Wars opens, brings massive crowds and would otherwise lead to not spending any more money on DHS. But the park really needs Phase 3. TSL and Star Wars will finally bring some improvement to the park, but they more or less only replace attraction capacity (Backlot Tour, LMA, HISTK playground, Premiere Theater (seasonal, but there), Jack Sparrow, One Man's Dream) that has closed or will close. The park still need significant expansion to really get to wear it needs to be.

As for Epcot, I know I'm an outlier on the topic, but I really think the park would be just fine with fixing some of the weaker pavilions (Imagination and Energy), expanding Space a bit, and then putting rides in WoL or in 1-2 WS countries. Epcot doesn't need a massive makeover, just continuous upgrading to existing facilities.

SCOTLORR

Excuse my ignorance on the Kong project at Uni, but what is going there? Is it a whole land, or just one ride? Also what size is it, cause if it is one ride, I could totally see Disney doing something very similar to Kong at DHS with Indy. Very well themed, but smaller on scale to allow for the necessary border of echo lake between big jumps in themed lands.

Rteetz

Excuse my ignorance on the Kong project at Uni, but what is going there? Is it a whole land, or just one ride? Also what size is it, cause if it is one ride, I could totally see Disney doing something very similar to Kong at DHS with Indy. Very well themed, but smaller on scale to allow for the necessary border of echo lake between big jumps in themed lands.
More or mini-land. Only one ride but it's supposed to be an e ticket type ride.

dreamscometrue

so I just noticed this on youtube..

was this new? or was it from older news?

It actually shows video of the animatronics, at least their heads.
They look freaking real. But then.. Disney is mater of PR.
I def want to see in real life!

This was new from the PR event last week I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom