kap91

I presume this is being discussed somewhere around here but didn't see anything. New concept art and video was released. And if I'm understanding the implication at the end of the video (as other people are too) it seems like they're saying the video of the navi at the end is actually the animatronic. If that's the case holy crap that's amazing.

Rteetz

I presume this is being discussed somewhere around here but didn't see anything. New concept art and video was released. And if I'm understanding the implication at the end of the video (as other people are too) it seems like they're saying the video of the navi at the end is actually the animatronic. If that's the case holy crap that's amazing.

It's being discussed in the avatar construction progress thread.

Atomicmickey

So . . . love this image. In my mind, that little round blip at the bottom, under the P in Pandora, is
the head of a guest. (A little model head.) I straightened and cleaned it up a bit from the video.

Imagine if this was inside the queue for Flight of Passage, or if you were in a boat and floated into
this cavern covered in art, with fire flickering on the walls . . .

I'm a sucker for cave art, though . . . .

xnmPFLB.jpg

Mike S

So . . . love this image. In my mind, that little round blip at the bottom, under the P in Pandora, is
the head of a guest. (A little model head.) I straightened and cleaned it up a bit from the video.

Imagine if this was inside the queue for Flight of Passage, or if you were in a boat and floated into
this cavern covered in art, with fire flickering on the walls . . .

I'm a sucker for cave art, though . . . .

xnmPFLB.jpg
Star Wars Land looks to have some very serious competition.

jt04

oh i think the land will be just as immersive and have the same type of scale, obviously i wont be as popular but it ll be the best land in these great United States of ours, until 2019

This looks better than Carsland and hopefully Star Wars Experience is better than Pandora. The bar keeps getting raised.

Mike S

This looks better than Carsland and hopefully Star Wars Experience is better than Pandora. The bar keeps getting raised.
And sadly nothing else amazing is currently rumored for Disney after Star Wars. The bar raising after that will be a whole new theme park up the road.

doctornick

I still think we may get a surprise announcement for the MK' s 50th.

Yes, I hope we get something at MK for the 50th as well as something for Epcot for its 40th (2022). There's still that alleged $350M that was allotted to each park as part of the huge budget approved last year.

Also, in terms of "nothing being planned", there's also the possibility of stuff in DHS for "Phase 3" after SW comes online. That might be a new land or itr might be just individual attractions, but probably something will happen. I think we are looking at D23 in summer 2017 to find out publicly what might be in store for 2020 and beyond.

clemmo

And sadly nothing else amazing is currently rumored for Disney after Star Wars. The bar raising after that will be a whole new theme park up the road.
To be fair there is something rumored for phase 3 but it probably will either be cut as a whole or not a themed land. Hopefully the MK can get a new e ticket or a show for the 50th. Would love to see them pivot towards epcot renovations as well after DHS

Mike S

Yes, I hope we get something at MK for the 50th as well as something for Epcot for its 40th (2022). There's still that alleged $350M that was allotted to each park as part of the huge budget approved last year.

Also, in terms of "nothing being planned", there's also the possibility of stuff in DHS for "Phase 3" after SW comes online. That might be a new land or itr might be just individual attractions, but probably something will happen. I think we are looking at D23 in summer 2017 to find out publicly what might be in store for 2020 and beyond.
Yes, but would phase 3 raise the bar from Star Wars? That's my point. Avatar, Star Wars, then, nothing. Magic Kingdom should get the never built Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition for the 50th. Or put it in Hollywood Studios to help that park out even more.

clemmo

Yes, but would phase 3 raise the bar from Star Wars? That's my point. Avatar, Star Wars, then, nothing. Magic Kingdom should get the never built Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition for the 50th. Or put it in Hollywood Studios to help that park out even more.
DHS needs indy as part of a phase 3. The MK could use some new nighttime shows and something to help tomorrow land as it is in sad shape imo. I'd rather see much more money put in to epcot than a lot put in to the MK. I'm still waiting for the day when we can finally make an epcot redevelopment thread.

Mike S

DHS needs indy as part of a phase 3. The MK could use some new nighttime shows and something to help tomorrow land as it is in sad shape imo. I'd rather see much more money put in to epcot than a lot put in to the MK. I'm still waiting for the day when we can finally make an epcot redevelopment thread.
How about Guardians in Tomorrowland?

po1998

While it would be great if something big was announced for MK's 50th, and Phase 3 came to fruition at DHS, I will be really disappointed if some form of a FW overhaul isn't announced in the next couple years.

The days of Epcot being turned into festival central and ignored as a theme park must come to an end.

clemmo

How about Guardians in Tomorrowland?
I'm not completely against it however it really wouldn't be my first choice as i'd much rather see it in the studios just not in tot or rnr but a brand new ride (i know that's a pretty radical idea as disney loves their rethemes). Still anything is better than stitch's great mistake

Ripken10

Honestly, I don't see why Disney would do anything special for the 50th. People are going to come regardless, why would they spend money when they will already have a packed house. That wouldn't be financially wise. As a fan I can see wanting it, but they can't have any strong desire to do that. At best a small upgrade to a show, or special fireworks. The years following the 50th, that's when they would want more "new" things to draw people in. The only reason something would open up right before the 50th is if something fell behind schedule.

hpyhnt 1000

@Atomicmickey - agree with you that that cave art could be something we see in the queue or boat ride. Given the whole culture and mythology of the Navi, there are opportunities for stunning artwork that provide backstory. Plus, Rohde loves details so we should be in for something quite special.

Joining in the 50th anniversary tangent...

DHS absolutely needs a Phase 3, but over the longer term. In fact, I'd rather wait for a 2025 opening and get a proper expansion than a phoned-in filler attraction opening 2021 that was done on a budget. Once Avatar, AK nights, TSL, and (especially) Star Wars open, AK and DHS both will have quality new additions that will completely alter touring patterns at WDW (this fact is key for one park in particular). With these coming on line 2017 thru 2019, that will be enough to sustain buzz and crowds at those parks through the 50th.

The places where WDW will need to focus are MK and Epcot.

By the time 2021 rolls around at MK, New Fantasyland is going to be ancient news. At minimum, a completely revamped Tomorrowland (right down to every ride vehicle and facade) will be necessary, along with new parade(s) and firework show. Besides, I think it's fair to say that the park that is actually turning 50 years old should get something new to commemorate the event.

As far as Epcot goes, Disney is deluding itself if it thinks Frostrom and the new Soarin' are going to be enough to sustain that park through 2020 and beyond. MK will always attract crowds, especially during the 50th, and DHS and AK will have still-shining new rides and shows. Epcot is going to need major overhauls of at least 3 Future World pavilions (yes, 3 - pick any you want), a new fireworks show, and maybe even a new ride in World Showcase just to keep up. For the past decade, Epcot's been able to survive because DHS and AK were viewed as "worse" options. Not only will the upcoming additions give DHS and AK formidable attraction lineups that will far outmatch Epcot's, they will also give those parks evening offerings that will rapidly eat into Epcot's food and beverage margins (pun!), starting later this year and only getting worse with time.

Without multiple major overhauls throughout the park, Epcot could well become the odd one out, a park people skip as they go to the shiny new things at AK and DHS. It desperately needs a DHS style re-boot in time for its 40th in 2022.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom