Atomicmickey

So, I think this topic could go under "specifics".

In light of the new aerials that just popped up in the construction thread, everyone is talking
about the "military" buildings.

I don't have any specific info other than what we've all seen at D23, press releases, concept art,
etc. but I am thinking these are something different.

Firstly, not to go all pedantic nerd on y'all, but in the film, there was no military. It was a private
mining corporation that hired mercenaries and ex-military. So, there's that.

Second, this land is supposed to be in a different time than the film. I think perhaps we are looking
at science labs/human compounds/bases. There would probably need to be some of the liquid
tanks with Avatars in them, explaining how people can link with the N'Avi. There could be a science
center/botanical/zoological area with exhibits. Expeditions have "mess halls". Think about Antarctic
bases. Quonset huts are not just for invasion forces.

All of the D23 stuff is all about an expedition company, so I'd expect the theming to be more "expedition"
and less, if not zero, "military".

Now, some of the renderings showed crashed helicopters, and at least one of those remote pods
that Jake and Co. helicoptered into the backcountry with. That's fine, they can be "remnants of
a dark time in our past, when we did not respect Eywa." (the planet).

Point being, there's a compelling story around the expedition/science angle, and I think that'll be
where this will all go, rather than the "military" angle. If we see generals barking at us that
"Out there beyond that fence every living thing that crawls, flies, or squats in the mud wants
to kill you and eat your eyes out for jujubes.", I, for one, will be VERY surprised.

Thoughts?

Mike S

In light of the new aerials that just popped up in the construction thread, everyone is talking

I don't have any specific info other than what we've all seen at D23, press releases, concept art,

Firstly, not to go all pedantic nerd on y'all, but in the film, there was no military. It was a private

Second, this land is supposed to be in a different time than the film. I think perhaps we are looking
at science labs/human compounds/bases. There would probably need to be some of the liquid
tanks with Avatars in them, explaining how people can link with the N'Avi. There could be a science
center/botanical/zoological area with exhibits. Expeditions have "mess halls". Think about Antarctic

All of the D23 stuff is all about an expedition company, so I'd expect the theming to be more "expedition"

Now, some of the renderings showed crashed helicopters, and at least one of those remote pods
that Jake and Co. helicoptered into the backcountry with. That's fine, they can be "remnants of

Point being, there's a compelling story around the expedition/science angle, and I think that'll be
where this will all go, rather than the "military" angle. If we see generals barking at us that
"Out there beyond that fence every living thing that crawls, flies, or squats in the mud wants
to kill you and eat your eyes out for jujubes.", I, for one, will be VERY surprised.

Thoughts?
Love that quote. Now I want to see the movie again.

Chris82

Thoughts?

Given Rohde's stated design philosophy for Animal Kingdom, the military angle wouldn't surprise me at all - the whole reason for the hard-line, blocky architecture of Africa and the garish, tacky, tourist-trap atmosphere at Chester and Hester's is to make the human-designed, "architected" portions feel uncomfortable and unwelcoming so that going out into nature feels like a release or escape by contrast.

I wouldn't be surprised, then, if the designers decide to really up the contrast of the inorganic, inhospitable "human" side to the lush and verdant "nature" side. A violent, military-themed, corrugated-metal architectural style would certainly do that.

twebber55

Given Rohde's stated design philosophy for Animal Kingdom, the military angle wouldn't surprise me at all - the whole reason for the hard-line, blocky architecture of Africa and the garish, tacky, tourist-trap atmosphere at Chester and Hester's is to make the human-designed, "architected" portions feel uncomfortable and unwelcoming so that going out into nature feels like a release or escape by contrast.

I wouldn't be surprised, then, if the designers decide to really up the contrast of the inorganic, inhospitable "human" side to the lush and verdant "nature" side. A violent, military-themed, corrugated-metal architectural style would certainly do that.
keep in mind that this is a different part of Pandora than from the movie from what i understand a later time period

flyerjab

Thoughts?

My thoughts on this center around the company that is taking us to this previously left behind base of operations used by the hired mercenaries and ex-military types that were in the movie. ACE, or Alpha Centauri Expeditions, has commandeered the real estate that was abandoned and left behind by the mercenary forces. My thinking is the timeline of Pandora as it exists in DAK is on the order of several years (maybe even decades) after the events of the movies took place. As such, ACE took these standing military-style structures and re-purposed them to act as eating and entertainment or even 'edutainment' purposes for their clients as they travel to this faraway locale. I am assuming that even though the outer designs might have a more austere, efficient design from the minds of the military/science types that designed them, the interiors have been transformed into much more comfortable and familiar accommodations for the clientele that have paid to travel with ACE. As far as the incredibly large footprint of the mess-hall restaurant is concerned, I am assuming that there will be 2 types of food offerings available - standard 'earth' food for the less adventurous, as well as more exotic looking items that WDI will try to pass off as food made from Pandoran agriculture. It wouldn't surprise me if DAK continues its proclivity for having excellent food carts or stands located throughout this expansion as well. That is where I could see them building upon offerings based off of more rare Pandoran delicacies for the more adventurous 'foodies' out there.

The left over labs and science facilities will also provide for some of DAKs excellent edutainment opportunities (as seen on the safari and the animal walking trails in Africa and Asia). These, however, will obviously be science fiction based attractions, but will have that hint of actual realism sprinkled in, as Cameron and his team really worked on the science of a planet with a lower gravity and lack of plentiful sunlight. I am actually excited for this part also as I have always felt that DAK built upon the concept of edutainment in line with how EPCOT first started (but has since faltered in its delivery). This though will allow WDI and Cameron's Lighstorm Entertainment group to play around with the science fiction behind the movie so that it can be presented to us in really unique and interesting ways. I am still convinced that one of the smaller merchandising opportunities for them will be to take a photo of a guest and transform it via computer animation into a personalized Avatar (similar to what is done in the Haunted Mansion merchandise location with a personalized ghost image). I also am assuming that WDI will go to town with some of the Na'vi culture and history, and there will most likely be some location with displays akin to a museum-like setting. I have also always envisioned (on a somewhat admittedly humorous note) that Disney would have the Pandora jewelry company (now partnered with Disney) designing Na'vi jewelry so you could buy Pandora jewelry sold in Pandora by Pandora.

Really, the possibilities with this are endless. Also, just about a year away so the excitement continues to grow. Ugh, can't wait!

Last edited:
Looks like Avatarland is getting a third ride after all..
View attachment 134229

I have found the queue for the new Soarin' Number 2 ride.
Untitled 2.jpg

Brian Swan

My thoughts on this center around the company that is taking us to this previously left behind base of operations used by the hired mercenaries and ex-military types that were in the movie. ACE, or Alpha Centauri Expeditions, has commandeered the real estate that was abandoned and left behind by the mercenary forces. My thinking is the timeline of Pandora as it exists in DAK is on the order of several years (maybe even decades) after the events of the movies took place. As such, ACE took these standing military-style structures and re-purposed them to act as eating and entertainment or even 'edutainment' purposes for their clients as they travel to this faraway locale. I am assuming that even though the outer designs might have a more austere, efficient design from the minds of the military/science types that designed them, the interiors have been transformed into much more comfortable and familiar accommodations for the clientele that have paid to travel with ACE. As far as the incredibly large footprint of the mess-hall restaurant is concerned, I am assuming that there will be 2 types of food offerings available - standard 'earth' food for the less adventurous, as well as more exotic looking items that WDI will try to pass off as food made from Pandoran agriculture. It wouldn't surprise me if DAK continues its proclivity for having excellent food carts or stands located throughout this expansion as well. That is where I could see them building upon offerings based off of more rare Pandoran delicacies for the more adventurous 'foodies' out there.

The left over labs and science facilities will also provide for some of DAKs excellent edutainment opportunities (as seen on the safari and the animal walking trails in Africa and Asia). These, however, will obviously be science fiction based attractions, but will have that hint of actual realism sprinkled in, as Cameron and his team really worked on the science of a planet with a lower gravity and lack of plentiful sunlight. I am actually excited for this part also as I have always felt that DAK built upon the concept of edutainment in line with how EPCOT first started (but has since faltered in its delivery). This though will allow WDI and Cameron's Lighstorm Entertainment group to play around with the science fiction behind the movie so that it can be presented to us in really unique and interesting ways. I am still convinced that one of the smaller merchandising opportunities for them will be to take a photo of a guest and transform it via computer animation into a personalized Avatar (similar to what is done in the Haunted Mansion merchandise location with a personalized ghost image). I also am assuming that WDI will go to town with some of the Na'vi culture and history, and there will most likely be some location with displays akin to a museum-like setting. I have also always envisioned (on a somewhat admittedly humorous note) that Disney would have the Pandora jewelry company (now partnered with Disney) designing Na'vi jewelry so you could buy Pandora jewelry sold in Pandora by Pandora.

Really, the possibilities with this are endless. Also, just about a year away so the excitement continues to grow. Ugh, can't wait!
I think you're right on point with the theming/backstory aspects; I've had the same thoughts based on what has been officially released. I also share your hopes of everything that Disney/Cameron *could* do with the land. But I'm tempering my optimism a bit so I won't be disappointed if it is just a large TS serving standard "park food", with no special exhibits...

Atomicmickey

I think you're right on point with the theming/backstory aspects; I've had the same thoughts based on what has been officially released. I also share your hopes of everything that Disney/Cameron *could* do with the land. But I'm tempering my optimism a bit so I won't be disappointed if it is just a large TS serving standard "park food", with no special exhibits...

I think every new Theme Park land has to at least shoot for some sort of "Butterbeer" equivalent, now.
Whether they create something great, we'll just have to see. I don't think there are long lines for
LeFou's brew (I could be wrong 'cause I haven't had it).

PS: 10 days until I try Butterbeer! I still can't believe I'm going to Orlando and staying on Uni property, with no Disney visit.
That's what they get for building no e tickets this year . . . or for many years, for that matter. That will change next year,
of course. But I'll still need to pop in and see KONG when it's done.

MagicGoofy

I'm assuming we won't be seeing any of the main characters from the film because of the timeline, but since this land is taking place in the jungles of pandora, its most likely that the Navi will be from the 'Omaticaya Clan' which was the main one from the film. I'm very interested on how this will play out into the sequels because we don't know exactly how long it is from the first film but I wonder if there will be anything hinting at the navi whereabouts (that clan specialty) for the future films? Especially after their 'hometree' was destroyed and they ended the film with not much more info other than them expelling the humans. Then again Im probably talking about a whole lot of nothing and this will take place a good deal in the future, where continuity won't be important.

RSoxNo1

I think every new Theme Park land has to at least shoot for some sort of "Butterbeer" equivalent, now.
Whether they create something great, we'll just have to see. I don't think there are long lines for

PS: 10 days until I try Butterbeer! I still can't believe I'm going to Orlando and staying on Uni property, with no Disney visit.
That's what they get for building no e tickets this year . . . or for many years, for that matter. That will change next year,
That is really silly thinking. Butterbeer was a natural fit for Potterland much in the same way a cantina and/or blue milk is a natural fit for Star Wars land. Drinks, food items or other souvenirs can be unique to a land but to illicit the type of positive reaction that butterbeer did it helps immensely if the product fits the theme and reaches or exceeds expectations.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

There is soooooo much food talked about in Harry Potter. Of course all the fans want to try their favorites that they have read about for years. LeFou's Brew is just a random drink it has no built in audience.

BrianLo

That is really silly thinking. Butterbeer was a natural fit for Potterland much in the same way a cantina and/or blue milk is a natural fit for Star Wars land. Drinks, food items or other souvenirs can be unique to a land but to illicit the type of positive reaction that butterbeer did it helps immensely if the product fits the theme and reaches or exceeds expectations.

Precisely. That's why Be Our Guest worked and LeFou's Brew came up a dud. Things that organically fit will be successful, but you can't force it for the sake of having a kiosk item.

Themed dining is definitely in right now, both companies are having a lot of success with that.

Atomicmickey

I guess I wrote that wrong. I was a bit snarky about LeFou's, but I was musing that themed unique food and drink had to be part of a themed experience in the wake of the success of Butterbeer. At least one can envision execs asking for "make us the next unique hit!" As opposed to just calling it a Pandora burger with banshee shaped potato cakes, and a fruit punch with a fake stick in it. Honestly I think it was at D23 or someplace else where they did show some odd food concoctions, not sure where.

And to be clear, I'd love for them to knock it out of the park with every detail of this land and I am optimistic about that!

So I agree with you! :)

Edited to add: it is more problematic that Avatar did not have a desirable food or drink element that made people desire it, like Butterbeer from the hp books and films. So it will have to be "made up" out of whole cloth, like LeFou's, and will more need to stand on its own and attract its own adherents.

Blue milk, we are all in for one of those at least!

Mike S

I guess I wrote that wrong. I was a bit snarky about LeFou's, but I was musing that themed unique food and drink had to be part of a themed experience in the wake of the success of Butterbeer. At least one can envision execs asking for "make us the next unique hit!" As opposed to just calling it a Pandora burger with banshee shaped potato cakes, and a fruit punch with a fake stick in it. Honestly I think it was at D23 or someplace else where they did show some odd food concoctions, not sure where.

And to be clear, I'd love for them to knock it out of the park with every detail of this land and I am optimistic about that!

Edited to add: it is more problematic that Avatar did not have a desirable food or drink element that made people desire it, like Butterbeer from the hp books and films. So it will have to be "made up" out of whole cloth, like LeFou's, and will more need to stand on its own and attract its own adherents.

There is that fruit the main character ate but how Disney would sell that I have no idea.

MagicGoofy

LMAO!!! There is a difference between a guest wanting to get "Lefou's Brew" and a guest wanting to try food from a different planet or should I say moon...

RSoxNo1

I really wish execs would say, "make us the next unique hit". More often execs say, we like that - make that. It''s why hollywood is overrun with sequels and remakes. We crap on the lack of originality in Avatar's story but while it was a similar storyline as many other movies, it was still an original storyline. That is incredibly rare now a days where something wasn't based on an existing franchise, book, life story or other source material.

Take a look at previous years. These are the top 20 box office movies for 2015:
Not Original (15): Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Furious 7, Minions, The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2, Cinderella, Spectre, Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, Pitch Perfect 2, Ant-Man, Hotel Transylvania 2, Fifty Shades of Grey, The SpongeBob Movie, Straight Outta Compton
Original (5): Inside Out, The Martian, The Revenant, Home, San Andreas

2014:
17 Non original, 3 original

The disparity continues for at least the last decade. Executives are interested in safe choices, not quality choices.

Mike S

I really wish execs would say, "make us the next unique hit". More often execs say, we like that - make that. It''s why hollywood is overrun with sequels and remakes. We crap on the lack of originality in Avatar's story but while it was a similar storyline as many other movies, it was still an original storyline. That is incredibly rare now a days where something wasn't based on an existing franchise, book, life story or other source material.

Take a look at previous years. These are the top 20 box office movies for 2015:
Not Original (15): Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Furious 7, Minions, The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2, Cinderella, Spectre, Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, Pitch Perfect 2, Ant-Man, Hotel Transylvania 2, Fifty Shades of Grey, The SpongeBob Movie, Straight Outta Compton
Original (5): Inside Out, The Martian, The Revenant, Home, San Andreas

2014:
17 Non original, 3 original

The disparity continues for at least the last decade. Executives are interested in safe choices, not quality choices.
The Martian was based on a book.

matt9112

Butter beer is amazing but make sure you try butter beer ice cream....Thor created it himself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom